Talk

Advanced search

to think that jaffa cakes should not be dunked!

(111 Posts)
ChookKeeper Thu 10-Sep-09 20:26:57

I've just read that the German biscuit maker Bahlsen have launched oblong shaped jaffa cakes because the orange filling can then go edge to edge and be better for dunking shock.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! The idea of dunking a jaffa cake is rank and surely the law of eating jaffa cakes is to nibble the sponge from around the outside, peel off and eat the orangey bit then eat the rest of the sponge.

So go on then AIBU? grin

Tortoise Thu 10-Sep-09 20:28:26

YANBU. Jaffa cakes are not for dunking!

DaisymooSteiner Thu 10-Sep-09 20:28:27

YANBU at all. Someone bought some of those Bahlsen jaffa cakes into work last week and I accidentally dunked it thinking it was a biscuit. It was horrible!!

thisisyesterday Thu 10-Sep-09 20:29:16

omg YANBU!!!

they're a CAKE. not a biscuit. you don't dunk cake. ewwwwww

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Thu 10-Sep-09 20:31:19

OOh I love sponge soggy. When I have a piece of cake I have to have a cuppa and mix it together in my mouth. I also like my cereal soggy too. <weirdo>

Thunderduck Thu 10-Sep-09 20:32:17

YANBU.They aren't at all suitable for the purpose of dunking.

Songbird Thu 10-Sep-09 20:34:05

YANBU! Eeew!!

differentID Thu 10-Sep-09 20:34:15

no, SACRILEGE!!!!!

Squishabelle Thu 10-Sep-09 20:34:25

Chook YANBU. your method of eating a Jaffa Cake is the only acceptable method!(although I eat the orangey bit after the sponge). Dunking? - Urggghhhhh

random Thu 10-Sep-09 20:35:19

No no no you never dunk a jaffa ...now chocolate hob nobs on the other hand

bronze Thu 10-Sep-09 20:35:31

NOOOOO Im a dunker but not jaffa cakes!

I leave the orange bit til last but same principle

EyeballsintheSky Thu 10-Sep-09 20:37:34

No no no no no no no no and no. I am a dunking addict, there is no biscuit that I will not dunk. But the clue is in the name with this one. You don't sit and dip your fairy cakes into your Tetley, do you? So why would you dunk a Jaffa cake? Those Germans are mental they are...

A choco leibniz however, is an entirely different matter and screams 'dunk me' as soon as you tear the cardboard. Listen up German biscuit manufacturers, invent a leibniz that is longer and with a chocolate-less bit at the top for holding so your fingers don't get mucky. Stop messing with cakes.

<<wanders off muttering about forriners>> wink

ChookKeeper Thu 10-Sep-09 20:47:01

Squishabelle and bronze - DD1 is so pleased that you eat the orangey bit last - we'd just had an argument about it when she saw my opening post. She feels smug vindicated now wink.

EyeballsintheSky - "You don't sit and dip your fairy cakes into your Tetley" -that isn't a euphemism is it grin?

scottishmummy Thu 10-Sep-09 21:02:48

jaffa cakes are horrid.that spongy jelly bit is gross.hate them

Thunderduck Thu 10-Sep-09 21:04:01

They are delicious! So long as they're McVities.

theyoungvisiter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:04:53

I love a soggy jaffa. I dunk anything, including fairy cakes (not the iced kind).

Let us not forget, ladies and gentlemen, that Proust dunked his madeleine, thereby setting off the whole train of A la recherche...

So there are strong literary precedents for the immersion of cakes.

LedodgyDailyMailstinksofpoo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:09:39

OOH theyoungvisitor shall we start a quiche? grin

theyoungvisiter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:12:16

only if you promise not to dunk it.

I draw the line at dunking quiches wink

oneopinionatedmother Thu 10-Sep-09 21:14:59

surely the dunkability is key to its tax status? if dunkable jaffa = biscuit and taxed as necesity. If not, taxed as cake, a luxury.

so, feel free to object, but be prepared to pay the tax on your jaffa cake

PacificDogwood Thu 10-Sep-09 21:15:32

I will not join this discussion

However: I dunk cake shock
<<sticks out tongue and runs away>>

Hollyoaks Thu 10-Sep-09 21:17:24

YANBU dd dunked hers in my tea yesterday and it disintegrated and fell into the cup. I had to drink the tea full of jaffa cake as I was at someone elses house.

theyoungvisiter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:19:47

well hollyoak - that's just poor technique.

The whole excitement of dunking is the skill required to get maximal moisture without actually losing your biscuit.

Sometimes you can gain valuable seconds by upending the biscuit (so the dunked half is vertical and uppermost) while conveying it to your mouth.

ChookKeeper Thu 10-Sep-09 21:19:49

What I don't understand about all of you very strange people cake dunkers is - how do you stop it falling into the cuppa? Surely it goes soggy to quickly too retain any form? <enquiring minds need to know>

theyoungvisiter Thu 10-Sep-09 21:21:43

chook, it's about speed vs absorbability and inherent cake tension.

You have to know your cake before you proceed.

A dry, friable shop bought cake will behave completely differently to an eggy, moist, home-made variety.

ChookKeeper Thu 10-Sep-09 21:22:22

too/to (oops)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now