Talk

Advanced search

to get a dog even though tenancy agreement says I can't??

(204 Posts)
WannaDoggie Thu 10-Sep-09 18:16:13

I want to get my DCs a dog. For the last 3 years we have had to rent after having to sell our home and have not a hope in hell of buying again within the foreseeable future!! At our last property (different agent) we asked if we could get one and were told that we could'nt. Am thinking just to get one anyway without telling our current letting agents. I am aware that this will breach the terms our tenancy but so what we are paying lot of money to live here and should be able to live as we please. Why should my kids grow up without a pet because we rent?? We have obviously paid a damage deposit and IF there is any damage, we would rectify it whether from the kids or the dog.

Why should our lives be dictated to just because we can't get a mortgage? AIBU??

PrincessToadstool Thu 10-Sep-09 18:17:56

YABU.

Ask the letting agent. If you're good tenants the landlord may agree.

Your life is not dictated hmm they just don't want you to have a dog. What if the next tenants were allergic, etc etc etc

McDreamy Thu 10-Sep-09 18:19:44

Yes I think you are. Have you asked about this property?

When we first rented our house out we ticked the no pets box but we have since allowed our wonderful tenants to have a dog.

Maybe your landlord would be prepared to let you have one now. You might have to agree to a few extra terms/conditions. Our agents insist on the carpets being professionally cleaned when the tenants move out.

honeybehappy Thu 10-Sep-09 18:19:48

YABU because it's obviously the wishes of the owner of the house but i understand where your coming from.

oxocube Thu 10-Sep-09 18:21:57

YABU because if your landlord strongly objects and you are kicked out for breaking the tenancy agreement, your dog could be left abandoned and in a shelter. (Speaking as someone who loves animals and has cats and a dog but we are now in the fortunate position of owning our own home)

When we rented, we only had cats but chose to rent somewhere that accepted pets.

colditz Thu 10-Sep-09 18:27:21

go for it, it's your eviction.

colditz Thu 10-Sep-09 18:29:36

The thing is about renting, it's not your house. You are just borring it. And dogs chew things, shit on the floor and generally smell the place up. Why would anyone want their property treated in such a manner?/ Professional clean or no professional clean, dogs stink, and by your attitude to your landlords I am dubious as to whether you'd bother cleaning up properly when you leave, or whether you would stick with the attitude of "I pay a lot of money... etc"

Tillyscoutsmum Thu 10-Sep-09 18:31:57

YABU

Some Landlord's allow pets (and usually take an additional deposit to clean up the mess after) and some don't. Its your choice where you rent. If you want a dog, rent from someone who allows it. Its not your house

kormachameleon Thu 10-Sep-09 18:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianAstra Thu 10-Sep-09 18:33:40

YABU if you
a) want to get your deposit back when you move out
and
b) don't want to be kicked out

purpleduck Thu 10-Sep-09 18:37:56

why are you blaming the landlord for his tenacy agreements when YOU are the one who signed (and in effect agreed to) them ?

plantsitter Thu 10-Sep-09 18:38:06

Actually I think (but am not positive) that landlords have to have a good reason to refuse a request to get a pet (discounting some dangerous dogs etc). However this assumes that you ask the landlord first. If you just get a dog, depending on your tenancy agreement it's pretty easy to evict you without giving a reason. And you will not have a leg to stand on when it comes to getting your deposit back. I couldn't stand the worry of being caught myself. Why not ask and if refused look for somewhere you can keep pets at your own leisure?

PeedOffWithNits Thu 10-Sep-09 18:38:10

I can't believe the OP, i am not saying its a troll, merely that i cannot believe some people are so full of themselves.

IT IS NOT YOUR HOUSE. PUT UP WITH THE RULES OR FIND ANOTHER LANDLORD

(lady next to us rents and has 4 dogs, bloke there before her had 2 dogs and bred hamsters to sell - he did have to do some major cleaning/decorating when he moved out)

Acanthus Thu 10-Sep-09 18:38:39

OF COURSE you're BU.

McDreamy Thu 10-Sep-09 18:39:22

Haven't come across that plantsitter - we were just asked "will you allow pets" yes or no, didn't need to give a reason.

PeedOffWithNits Thu 10-Sep-09 18:40:59

plantsitter, surely that cannot be right - if you own a house you can say what ever you want about who/what lives there. some might not want kids there even, or smokers.

LIZS Thu 10-Sep-09 18:41:24

yabu - as a past landlord I would have been livid as it inevitably increases wear and tear and you would be in breech of the tenancy agreement.

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 10-Sep-09 18:41:59

Just ask your landlord. We were allowed to get our dog in our last rented house after we asked. Don't do it without approval, it's wrong and you'll be evicted.

FourArms Thu 10-Sep-09 18:42:47

I'd ask... you've nothing to lose. My parents agreed to their tenants having a dog under the condition that they either got all carpets professionally cleaned, or paid an equivalent amount towards new carpets (they need replacing in the short-medium term). Perhaps make an offer like this to them? However, in our rented house I'd be furious if the tenants got a dog as it is a easily damageable 'perfect' new build, and I want it to stay that way!

purplepeony Thu 10-Sep-09 18:42:50

YABU

Your attitude is very selfish and seem unable even to consider the other side to this. You don't say why you had to sell up and rent, but maybe you should try to change that situation rather than do something illegal- you would breaking a contract.

Plenty of kids grow up without a pet or a dog- you are being really stupid, imo.

Just because you pay money does not mean you can treat it as YOUR house- it's not your house- you RENT it- and that comes with conditions.

Pets can be banned for all kinds of reasons- mainly damage to the property, gardens and furnishings, pet hair which can cause allergies in subsequent occupants, and noise if left alone during the day which can then annoy neighbours.

If you want a dog, then buy your own house or move to a rented house where pets are allowed.

scottishmummy Thu 10-Sep-09 18:50:33

you signed up to those conditions.you have to abide

i suppose you could risk getting a dog. but will inevitably get caught out and risk losing tenancy.is it worth the risk to you?

you will get found out
>dog will need walked, and be visible
>neighbours will see you
>agent might pop around see dog
>children will inevitability discuss the dog

HerBeatitude Thu 10-Sep-09 18:51:16

oh FGS of course you are being unreasonable, what a ridiculously unreasonable person you sound.

You made a deal with someone, now you've decided you don't like the terms of the deal so you'll go your own sweet way... bloody hell what sort of example is that to set to your children? Appalling attitude IMO.

plantsitter Thu 10-Sep-09 18:56:36

It is not a law actually but is Office of Fair Trading Fair Practice guidelines. I will look for a link later but it's DD's bed time now. Anyway, clearly OP is being unreasonable either way - and landlords don't have to give a reason to chuck tenants out. Just notice.

Reallytired Thu 10-Sep-09 19:04:07

Is it a house or a flat? If the landlord does not own the freehold ie. the property is leasehold it may not be the landlord's decision. (Ie. freeholder of flats say no pets.)

Its not that easy to evict a tenant, especially someone with children who pays their rent on time. Although if it is a short term assured tenancy, it might not be renewed after 6 months.

McDreamy Thu 10-Sep-09 19:07:45

I thought it was only relevant if you were seen to be discriminating against tenants so for example you couldn't refuse to rent out your property to someone who had a guide dog or hearing dog purely because of a no pets policy - but I would be interested in reading the link. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now