Talk

Advanced search

to not sign this letter?

(23 Posts)
louii Wed 09-Sep-09 19:50:04

DS started Nursery three weeks ago, going great he loves it.
Got a letter home today for me to sign giving my permission for DS to go on outings/trips/walks etc.

Am i being unreasonable to not sign this letter on the basis that I have no idea what the trips will involve, and when or where they will take place?

I would have expected a permission slip for each trip/outing as thought that was the norm.

Yes he is a PFB. smile

nickytwotimes Wed 09-Sep-09 19:51:44

It is normal afaik.
You will be kept informed of what they are doing.
If you have concerns, ask the staff, but yes, yabu, sorry!

preggersplayspop Wed 09-Sep-09 19:51:48

I think I signed one, but they always call as well in advance before they take them outside of the nursery grounds. You could check to see whether they would do this? I prefer to know if they are being taken out.

victoriascrumptious Wed 09-Sep-09 19:52:01

Where do you think they could possibly take him in your worst case scenario? The edge of a volcano?

NeedCoffee Wed 09-Sep-09 19:53:16

They usually let you know before each time anyway ime, they just need the signature at the beginning, what if you didn't sign one as it got lost or something, and you went to pick DS up one day, and he was the only one that couldn't go? Sign it, it'll be fine

potplant Wed 09-Sep-09 19:53:34

Ask them to clarify.

With the nursery my DCs went to a general letter meant going to the local park on a sunny day. They would always tell me it was the plan in the morning when I dropped them off.

Trips to the zoo or farm usually had a specific form as there is often a cost involved.

LadyGlencoraPalliser Wed 09-Sep-09 19:53:57

Personally I would say that if you trust them enough to look after your child you should be able to trust their judgement on minor outings. Would be a pain for the nursery to have to get separate slips for every outing to feed the ducks in the park. But if you are concerned, talk to them about what type of outings generally take place. I am sure you will not be the first parent to do so.

louii Wed 09-Sep-09 19:55:51

Wasn't thinking of the edge of a Volcano, but now ye have me worried, is that a regular nursery outing? wink

Was thinking more along the lines of buses without car seats etc

ComeOVeneer Wed 09-Sep-09 19:57:05

I had to do likewise, but well before the trip they sent a letter regarding where and when, giving you ample opportunity to check and do anything if you choose.

Satsuma1 Wed 09-Sep-09 19:58:10

I'm pretty sure a letter like this is standard practice. However, of course you are right to be cautious, afterall he is your child (pfb or not!).

I don't know how old your DS is, but if he's a pre-walker and not able to run around the nursery garden, they'll probably want to take him out in a pram/buggy. From my experience they really need this and benefit from getting out. It's not really practical for the nursery to get a signed slip each time they want to take him out for a walk.

I would have a chat with the nursery manager and voice your reservations. I'm sure you won't be the first parent to do this. That way you can either put your mind at rest and sign the form, or your can make an informed decision and decide not to sign it.

Littlefish Wed 09-Sep-09 19:58:27

It's more likely to be things like the park, the local shops, the swings etc.

lolapoppins Wed 09-Sep-09 20:02:07

Make sure you know what it entails. A couple of weeks after ds started nursery, I bumped into him and his class while walking my dogs in a park. I was shock I really had expected them to at least tell parents if they were taking children off school grounds.

Seona1973 Wed 09-Sep-09 20:02:12

we have to do this too but we also get notification of each individual trip too so you can decide at the time if they can go or not. It saves them having to get signed permission every time.

MissSunny Wed 09-Sep-09 20:29:39

Message withdrawn

Katz Wed 09-Sep-09 20:34:40

When my DD's were at nursery they had a similar thing, it meant that they could take a restless baby/toddler for a walk round the block in a pushchair to get them to sleep, They often took 1 or 2 children to the post box to post letters or to collect leaves from a near by green. No of which would have been possible without that permission slip. Major outings had seperate consent forms.

MIAonline Wed 09-Sep-09 20:43:42

You don't have to sign it. If you prefer, and it is your right, then you can just ask to be informed each trip. TBH, these 'catch all' letters are designed to make it easier for parents and to make sure those that would consistently need to be chased for replies are sorted in one letter.

Do what you feel comfortable with and decide for yourself.

fluffles Wed 09-Sep-09 20:47:31

we do this with our guides - permission for 'out and about' in the local area is given each year because it is a nightmare to get slips back for each and every trip to somewhere really local - each time people forget the slips, or lose them, or the person dropping off isn't a parent or guardian and can't sign etc. etc. etc.

if you sign and make their lives easier the staff will have less paperwork and more time to devote to your darling LO grin

Overmydeadbody Wed 09-Sep-09 20:54:32

Yes, YABU and PFB

They will still tell you in advance of any big significant trips.

skihorse Wed 09-Sep-09 21:01:10

YABU

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 09-Sep-09 21:03:43

Dd and ds' nursery always needed extra helpers when they went on outings.

If you are concerned, tell them you available to help on any outings. That way you an keep an eye on him.

We always had specific letters about trips out as well as having to sign the catch=all permission slip at the start of the year.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Wed 09-Sep-09 21:07:13

YABU, these cover all letters as others have said are for little local trips.
DD's nursery did things like walk down the local high street and see what kind of shops we had locally, a walk in the woods close by or a trip to the swings at the park right next to the school.
As deperate said they always need parent helpers on these things so you will always know what they are doing anyway.
Any big trips on buses etc another permission slip is sent out for that trip.

dmo Wed 09-Sep-09 21:59:22

hi i am a childminder and we all have to have things like this signed (for OFSTED)

when i did work at nursery we would take the children (staff permitting) for a walk to the park or the post box across the way

any big trips to the zoo etc would be signed for sep and parents normally had to put money towards the trip

Chuffinnora Wed 09-Sep-09 22:07:21

DS got chosen this week to walk to the garden centre and choose the new class fish!! Only possible with a permission slip!

I think the weather is another reason they do this catch all slip. It would be a PITA to choose a date and then find the rain had ruined the idea and get new forms the next day etc etc ad infinitum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now