Talk

Advanced search

to be FURIOUS some swine has pinched my big wheelie bin....twice!

(16 Posts)
curvychick Wed 09-Sep-09 16:25:21

Rant alert!

Our grey general refuse bins are collected on alternate weeks where we live. " weeks ago after the bin men had been our larger than average bin was missing. I rang the council to say i suspected it had been pinched as i had scoured the road and there was no sign of it. A replacement was sent out to us within the week, which we kept in our garden to prevent it wandering again.

Fast forward 2 weeks to bin day today....gone out to bring new big wheelie bin in to garden and some sh*t has been and stolen the thing again despite it having our house no. scratched deeply into it. I'm furious that someone would be so ridiculous as to pinch someones bin.

To add insulty to injury the flaming council have told me that as its only 2 weeks since our replacement was requested we have to pay £59 quid for a new one! S aibu to kick up a right fuss about this? Dont see why i should ahve to pay as it was stolen for 1, and for 2 even if we do pay, what if the phantom bin theif returns?

Grrrr, sorry rant over wink

curvychick Wed 09-Sep-09 16:26:47

Sorry for apalling typos, really should check before posting blush

BethNoire Wed 09-Sep-09 16:27:33

YANBU

Our neighbour steals our recycling bins; we can see she has lined them up in her garden from our wiondows, she uses them to raise plants.

Council says not their business and just issues a replacement, but at some point we as a community are paying for all these things through our council tax and it really annoys me.

CarGirl Wed 09-Sep-09 16:29:48

I would just that as the bin men didn't return it to your garden then it is their fault as you keep it secure!

I'd also try and be out next collectin day and see if you can take it back.

curvychick Wed 09-Sep-09 16:32:32

It has made me so angry. If i find out who's had it, i really feel like calling the police....i wouldnt, as they'd probably laugh at me, but for gods sake, some people really are mental to be out sneakily robbing peoples wheelie bins.

curvychick Wed 09-Sep-09 16:36:13

I did loiter around hoping to put it straight back but the bin men were later than usual today, went to shops, came back and bin had been emptied and was there on the corner of our road, got the 3 kids out of the car and unloaded the shopping and went straight out to put it back in the garden and it was gone.....it was no mope than a 20 minute window when they took it!

oldraver Wed 09-Sep-09 16:54:02

Your house number/ address in big numbers (but tastefully done, I hate to see scrawl done with an odd tin of paint)

My recycling bins kept going an this was the only way to stop them. I numbered the lids as well but mostly because each new lot of bins were different shape size to the last and old lids dont fit new bins and vice versa. I'm sure the recycling lot play 'skim the lid' as they end up everywhere

geraldinetheluckygoat Wed 09-Sep-09 17:13:35

so annoying, ours was nicked last monday too, and Ive had 3 taken the last 3 years or so. We get weekly collections, theres really no need for anyone here to nick a bin. GRRRRRRRR!
Will be untastefully scrawling number via paint pot method later grin

LG1000 Wed 09-Sep-09 17:47:31

So annoying! I had the same problem a few years ago. We lost three bins in as many months.

Sadly, tasteful numbering of bins one, two and three didn't work. So my housemates and I resorted to plastering bin number four with "Jesus loves you" in bright yellow paint.

It seemed to work, my housemates and are are all long gone now, but the bin remains

curvychick Wed 09-Sep-09 17:53:05

lol love it LG1000! Would you mind if i copy your idea when --the council back down and give us a new bin for free after i create merry hell about being told i have to pay for a replacement--we get a new one grin

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 09-Sep-09 17:58:39

get a normal sized bin

curvychick Wed 09-Sep-09 18:07:25

EBC due to our fortnightly collections, all of the rubbish just wont fit in a standard one, despite recycling everything possible. They dont take extra bags left by the side of the bin and i dont see why myself or dp should have to make weekly tips to the dump with rubbish bags when we pay a hefty council tax bill each month and as a family of 6, are entitled to a bigger bin anyway! I asked lady at the council if we could have 2 smaller sized grey ones but 'that isnt allowed' apparently.

If it all fit into a standard one i'd swap back in an instant, this is a pain in the arse tbh!

Squishabelle Wed 09-Sep-09 18:18:28

Im pretty sure my neighbour over the road has stolen my recycling bag. We were issued with one each - ours went missing and come next collection day, said neighbour puts out two!

elmofan Wed 09-Sep-09 18:28:09

squishabelle , steal it back on the next collection day grin

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 09-Sep-09 18:29:30

yadda yadda re. the need for a big bin.

Firawla Wed 09-Sep-09 18:41:07

YANBU
ours was stolen recently too so we have replaced it with a bright pink bin, more distinctive and so less nickable we hope. Also have written the house number very large in permanant marker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now