Talk

Advanced search

to buy stuff on credit when I know I am about to go bankrupt?

(100 Posts)
dingdong05 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:40:31

so, here I am, I am getting everything together to go bankrupt- got new basic bank account, details off all my creditors, rearrange all my direct debit payment etc
Suddenly, through the door comes a letter from my cc- they've increased my limit by £600!

With £600 I could pay off a debt to a small company (the rest is all credit cards) and buy that dishwasher I've been desperate for. Maybe even get a new, although cheap, carpet to replace the disgrace in the hall. Of course I'd need to do this before I sent in the paperwork, but that's no problem.

And really, what's £600 when it's added to the £12000 I already owe? Of course, when I borrowed the £12000 I did intend to pay it back, but know for a fact I won't be paying back the £600.

Assuming I am on benefits, have no other support and have been labouring under massive debts for years, AIBU to take advantage?

<runs away and peers back from behind a hedge>

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Tue 08-Sep-09 20:42:15

Message withdrawn

Jajas Tue 08-Sep-09 20:42:57

Jeez, it's theft.

ArizonaBarker Tue 08-Sep-09 20:44:12

YABVU.

ElectricElephant Tue 08-Sep-09 20:44:23

This isn't you, is it? You're mad at someone else.

if i'm wrong, then yes, YABVU.

DogAgain Tue 08-Sep-09 20:44:38

Message withdrawn

Thunderduck Tue 08-Sep-09 20:45:03

Yes YABVU.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Tue 08-Sep-09 20:45:34

Message withdrawn

LIZS Tue 08-Sep-09 20:45:36

fraud, obtainign goods by deception theft ... hmm sorry you don't need a dw when you are already in such dire straits. Just cos you're offered it you don't have to spend it.

PuzzleRocks Tue 08-Sep-09 20:45:37

It's fraud, no?

Lizzylou Tue 08-Sep-09 20:45:52

YABU, to a massive extent, which you know.

Hassled Tue 08-Sep-09 20:46:15

People are desperate for food, or money, or housing - no one is desperate for a dishwasher.

£600 added to £12,000 is £12,600, by the way. So somewhat more than £12,000. HTH.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Tue 08-Sep-09 20:46:18

Message withdrawn

Thunderduck Tue 08-Sep-09 20:46:27

Yes YABVU and you know it.

You don't need a dishwasher.

LaDiDaDi Tue 08-Sep-09 20:46:53

YABU. And you know it but I suspect that you'll do it anyway from the tone of your post.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 08-Sep-09 20:47:01

Sorry - I don't know who you are. But this is an incredibly stupid thing to do. You're going bankrupt because you're in debt, yet you want to take out even more?

Haven't you learnt anything?

Sorry. YABVVU. Learn your lesson and live within your means.

LadyMuck Tue 08-Sep-09 20:49:10

Do you think that the official receiver, or whoever, won't realise exactly what you've done?

dingdong05 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:50:14

the situation is mine, and I could get away with it.

i was tempted, if i'm honest, but once i'd done a bit of vitual window shopping and then thought some more I knew I couldn't. it is theft, of course it is.

but i could do it, the opportunity is there.

scottishmummy Tue 08-Sep-09 20:50:14

you are absolutley fuckwitted and unable to prioritise.

i mean who is "desperate" for a dishwasher,with mounting debts

no wonder you became bankrupt if this is how you prioritise and cope in crisis

dilemma456 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:54:44

Message withdrawn

Bellared Tue 08-Sep-09 20:56:05

As much as it would be nice to spend the £600 you would have to pay this back yourself if the bankrupcy process has already been started and you might get into bother over it. Once everything is going through they'll cancel your CC anyway. If you are working please note that your income tax may rise to 35% after 5 years of first going bankcrupt. In the mean time you may not be paying any tax as the courts can make you pay your creditors out of the amount that you would normally be paying in tax.

You might actually be better off going through a Debt Management company to pay your creditors, you pay them what you can afford each month say £100 and they split it between your creditors.

This info is what I have read and applies for someone who works, If we assume you are on benefits you might be best speaking to the CCS (Consumer Counselling Service) first for better advive.

Please dont spend the £600.

If you need new carpet can you not get a loan from the social fund and pay it back out of your benefits?

Hope this helps!!!

Thunderduck Tue 08-Sep-09 20:56:07

Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions.

It's theft and you know it. Perhaps you could get away with it but that isn't the issue. It's wrong and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

scottishmummy Tue 08-Sep-09 20:57:17

your credit rating will be obliterated,chance of mortgage etc minimal. you need to learn some basic financial propriety eg if you don't have it don't spend it

is this all a front?this nonchalance. hey fuck it i needed that dishwasher. you need good advice and a plan

i imagine in RL you are really stressed about this

pasturesnew Tue 08-Sep-09 20:57:28

Appreciate this a stressful time but this is a very bad idea indeed. Take a look at the guidance at insolvency.gov.uk

If the official receiver decides that you have been dishonest,they may apply to the court for a bankruptcy restrictions order. The court may make an order against you for between 2 and 15 years and this order will mean that you continue to be subject to the restrictions of bankruptcy.

Dishwashers are not essential and you can live with crappy carpet, can you live without credit etc. for 15 years though?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Sep-09 20:58:28

The Official Receiver will take a very dim view of this and may give you a Bankruptcy Restriction Order so that you won't be off the register for much longer.

And you may lose the dishwasher and the debt paid off may be overturned by him.

It's really not worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now