Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To sit on the train and say nothing to this woman

(19 Posts)
CHOOGIRL Tue 08-Sep-09 20:39:03

I was sitting on the train today and a woman (30+) got on with her baby who cannot have been more than six months. She then opened a bottle of fizzy fanta orange, decanted into the baby's bottle and then fed it to her. To say I was shock would be an understatement. I have no idea whether Fanta is OK for babies, but it just felt wrong. I so wanted to say something, but didn't. WWYD?

Jajas Tue 08-Sep-09 20:41:09

Oh that's not good but not a lot you could have said unfortunately.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Sep-09 20:42:04

I would do nothing.

And unfortunately after today (when a social worker supervised a mum giving her 5 month old a sugar dummy - that's a fairground sugar dummy made entirely of sugar) I think no 'authority' like SS would be interested.

It's very sad.

BitOfFun Tue 08-Sep-09 20:43:38

I would have ripped the can from her hands and thrown it out of the window in the manner of an unexploded hand-grenade, while simultaneously calling social services, like any right-thinking mumsnetter- isn't that the correct etiquette in these situations?

Jimmychasesducks Tue 08-Sep-09 20:43:41

i wouldn't have said anything, but would have looked shocked

dingdong05 Tue 08-Sep-09 20:43:54

silly twat probably thought it was ok, cause it was orange.

not a lot you could've said, and jamming the can down her throat would not be considered polite travelling behaviour.

Thunderduck Tue 08-Sep-09 20:44:10

Saying something would serve no purpose unfortunately.

I can top that. I once saw a woman who opened a can of red bull who then proceeded to pour some of it into her baby's bottle. The baby was about 8 or 9 months at most.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Sep-09 20:46:44

lol at BOF grin

blahdiblahblah Tue 08-Sep-09 20:48:00

OMG!

oneopinionatedmother Tue 08-Sep-09 20:48:07

why not tell her she can get advise on the best fizzy drinks for babies on mumsnet?

grin

LovelyLulu Tue 08-Sep-09 20:48:39

How awful, baby's teeth will have holes in them very quickly if she does this regularly. I wouldn't say anything, it would be resented and ignored.

oneopinionatedmother Tue 08-Sep-09 20:48:45

advice

Servalan Tue 08-Sep-09 20:48:51

shock f*ing Redbull?!!!

I remember being shocked at seeing a baby about that age drinking coke out of a bottle a couple of years ago, but that tops it!

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 08-Sep-09 20:48:54

shock at all these anecdotes

Laurie was that in the news or something you witnessed?

CHOOGIRL Tue 08-Sep-09 20:49:06

I haven't stopped thinking about it all day. This was a grown woman, who was well dressed. If it was a teenager I would probably have made conversation with her about the baby before mentioning something in a non-threatening way. But because this woman looked like she should have known better I said nothing.

madeupsurname Tue 08-Sep-09 20:49:17

grin BOF

Thunderduck Tue 08-Sep-09 20:50:11

Yes Red Bull. I couldn't believe it either.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 08-Sep-09 20:50:45

LIW

dd witnessed it today at contact with her mum (mum fed it to her new baby)

pigletmania Tue 08-Sep-09 21:31:21

OMG thats dreadful, I probably would be really really shocked and shoot her dagger looks but would not say anything. Bitoffun lol yes good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now