Talk

Advanced search

Daily Mail...dont shoot me!

(158 Posts)
milknosugarplease Tue 08-Sep-09 12:44:39

ok, i have seen daily mail mentioned everywhere on messages and in names-never positive!

i am in no wy sticking up for it...just would like an insight on the reason for this strong dislike (hate is a strong word!)

a confused but in no way liking the daily mail, milk

xx

PrincessToadstool Tue 08-Sep-09 12:46:52

Read the threads in 'site stuff', it might make it clearer, might not wink

VinegarTits Tue 08-Sep-09 12:49:01

I dont know, i never read the daily mail, i steer away from the DM threads, all seems to be a lot of fuss over nothing

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 08-Sep-09 12:54:03

The dislike for The Mail is more a dislike of certian columinsts, I think. I might not agree with it, but I would fight for the death for it's right to say it.

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 08-Sep-09 12:55:12

and I read more of The Mail on MN than anywher else! odd that.

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 08-Sep-09 12:56:06

its

(I just got an itchy apostrophe finger)

GoAwayMrWappy Tue 08-Sep-09 12:56:16

I think janitor has hit the nail on the head!

MissSunny Tue 08-Sep-09 13:02:44

Message withdrawn

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 08-Sep-09 13:03:53

See, I disagree. I son't think it's any of those things. Someone could do an analysis on some of the columnists and find out of they were personnally voicing such biases on a regular basis - and real racism and misogyny, not just controvertial issues such as immigration and feminism, some of which might be offensive to some, but offense doesn't = racism or misogyny.

Romanarama Tue 08-Sep-09 13:04:12

What Janitor said.

Thunderduck Tue 08-Sep-09 13:08:05

Exactly what TMMJ said.

Waspie Tue 08-Sep-09 13:13:38

Another who agrees with MildManneredJanitor

It's a foul excuse for a newspaper angry. I hate it because it pretends to be a cut-above the red tops whilst all the while spewing it's racist, misogynistic, right wing claptrap both wittingly and unwittingly. It's a putrid rag.

Redworm Tue 08-Sep-09 13:15:28

Don't like The Mail myself and glad that the MN column in The Mail isn't a goer,but I think that the apparent absence of more than a handful of Mail readers on MN is an utter illusion. I'm sure there are plenty here.

The Mail is just the media equivalent of Fruit Shoots on MN -- a standing joke for some people, and for other people a quick shortcut for the bonding that comes from a shared distain. And I bet there are loads of FruitShoot-feeders here too.

Stayingsunnygirl Tue 08-Sep-09 13:20:35

What's wrong with the Times, MissSunny? Intelligent reporting, and interesting editorials and articles. Plus the puzzles are good. Definitely a better paper than the Mail (which would be my pick to line the cat's litter tray).

tallulahbelly Tue 08-Sep-09 17:18:29

Hilarious is a very Daily Mail word, Miss Sunny, and often used as a prefix to '...new column/book/occasional series'.

It is invaluable in alerting me to something I'll find about as funny as a hard poo stuck halfway out when someone is hammering on the toilet door.

In that respect, Littlejohn is indeed hilarious, but by no means unique amongst Mail columnists.

I prefer the women's lifestyle pages. But then I hate myself.

ReneRusso Tue 08-Sep-09 17:41:38

I find the Daily Mail rather poisonous. But I do find it tedious when people's only contribution to a debate is something like: "oh is this the daily mail thread today then" or "OP must have been reading the daily mail". It is just lazy point scoring and adds nothing intelligent to a discussion.

stillfrazzled Tue 08-Sep-09 18:46:31

Tallulah, your analogy just made me laugh out loud.

I actually have an unofficial Littlejohn's Law - it's slightly like Godwin's Law, but states that anyone who says he's the Voice of Reason has relieved me from having to take anything they say seriously ever again.

GirlsAreLOud Tue 08-Sep-09 18:57:43

I'd never read it in my life til I came on here! As someone else said there are link all over this site to the DM.

scottishmummy Tue 08-Sep-09 19:33:11

DM is linked daily and discussed daily by people who profess to hate it. never fails to get folk in an incandescent haze. and i always wonder if y'all hate it so much,how come you know its content?found it in a cafe?

suppose i am bemused at the inference that the hoi polloi can read its pernicious content and believe it. yet some MN readers are impervious to its sinister content.

funny that

i don't read dm
don't link dm

i do think folk on mn deriding the dm and at same time linking it daily is odd

chegirl Tue 08-Sep-09 19:42:58

I hate the Mail because it is mean and bad tempered. Its articles seem intent on winding up middle England and making them feel their lives are at risk from Eastern Europeans, Peadophiles and Gypsies.

It is no worse than The News of the Screws etc but it hides behind a veneer of middle class decency which it simply does not possess.

It hate it on a more personal level because it is always reporting on cures and causes of cancer and the articles seem oddly judgemental. I.e. my daughter's leukemia was very probably caused by me leaving her light on a night hmm

But really for me, it is the tone rather than the content iyswim.

MrsEricBanaMT Wed 09-Sep-09 10:53:21

Who bets Stayingsunnygirl reads The Times? grin

MrsEricBanaMT Wed 09-Sep-09 10:56:33

Maybe it's a fascination with their own excriment SM?

MrsEricBanaMT Wed 09-Sep-09 10:59:24

I think people only need worry if The Mail was someones only window on the world. Most of us however, have numerous lenses with which to contrast and compare. Funny thing the capacity of humans to reason all on their own.

OmniDroid Wed 09-Sep-09 11:04:53

"Its articles seem intent on winding up middle England and making them feel their lives are at risk from Eastern Europeans, Peadophiles and Gypsies"

Couldn't agree more. It has entered the very souls of my otherwise lovely parents and in-laws, and made them fearful, judgemental, and unhappy. But oddly powerless. I hate it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now