Talk

Advanced search

In thinking Arabella Weir and her DD's purple protractor has no place on the R4's Today programme?

(41 Posts)
TheWorstWitch Tue 08-Sep-09 08:35:42

Terrorists being convicted, US health reform, yes.
But who cares about a mother's woes ... I can come on mumsnet for that.

R4 Tue 08-Sep-09 08:41:32

YANBU. It also didn't make a lot of sense - it assumed that we had read her article and cared knew what she was on about.

WidowWadman Tue 08-Sep-09 08:49:20

The language barrier got me again. I had to go and look up 'purple protractor' as it kind of had the sound of a euphemism to me. (blush]

girlafraid Tue 08-Sep-09 08:52:58

LOL @ WW, I thought the same!

TheDullWitch Tue 08-Sep-09 09:07:09

God, I thought just the same thing. Two women whittling away about NOTHING! I was momentarily ashamed to be a mother.

WowOoo Tue 08-Sep-09 09:08:20

Thought the same too. Changed the station in fact.

malovitt Tue 08-Sep-09 09:14:28

Not just me then!

Made no sense to me at all.

Lilymaid Tue 08-Sep-09 09:23:24

AW said something like "I don't know what a protactor is for ... giggle giggle" - and they had some other woman journo in with younger children who didn't add anything to the ridiculous item.

Pyrocanthus Tue 08-Sep-09 09:58:05

Switched off in despair...

policywonk Tue 08-Sep-09 10:09:19

Yup. Funnily enough I was reading yesterday's Guardian as the item came on, so siddenly it felt as though Arabella Weir's daughter's protractor was receiving 24-hour, multi-platform saturation coverage. I don't like these lite items that Today has started running.

madeupsurname Tue 08-Sep-09 10:12:57

I was hoping all the lite items were filler for the silly season. There have been some very cringey moments recently, although didn't hear AW this morning, thank god.

Feelingoptimistic Tue 08-Sep-09 10:14:16

Ummm... What is a purple protractor????

annh Tue 08-Sep-09 10:14:33

LOL at the "24-hour, multi-platform saturation coverage" for a protractor smile

policywonk Tue 08-Sep-09 10:23:03

grin

OtterInaSkoda Tue 08-Sep-09 11:02:38

YANBU at all. Bloody shocking. Pretty much all sleb parents drive me nuts when they start whittering on about the minutiae of raising children. So geometry kit comes in different colours these days - we used to collect smelly rubbers. Big effing deal.
Lazy, lazy terrible programming. angry Makes Chris Moyles look like Dostoy-effing-evsky. Not that he ever had a breakfast radio show, of course. Might have been interesting grin

MrsMellowdrummer Tue 08-Sep-09 11:10:42

YANBU. Even they seemed faintly embarrassed about how ridiculous the topic was.

Acanthus Tue 08-Sep-09 11:11:50

Did you listen to woman's hour today as well? Bloody Liz Jones and some bint from the Telegraph wittering on. Bloody hell.

Poledra Tue 08-Sep-09 11:14:31

I only caught the first part of Woman's Hour today (late to work blush) and thought it was quite good actually (Liza Jardine talking about her breast cancer). Glad I got to work before it all went downhill.

Acanthus Tue 08-Sep-09 11:16:02

Yes the breast cancer bit was good. Had to turn off after Liz Jones. She came across like a stroppy teenager.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 08-Sep-09 11:40:37

LOL at Dostoy-effing-evsky. I too abandoned ship during protractor-gate. Fortunately Shaun Keavney was doing a good line in Prince and Sly and Family Stone on 6music.

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Tue 08-Sep-09 11:44:45

Does anyone remember Posh Nosh? Our Arry with Richard E Grant? She was great in that.

OtterInaSkoda Tue 08-Sep-09 12:06:54

Posh Nosh was great. Arabella Weir should be ashamed of herself for this morning's crap though. But then she did do the "Does my bum look big in this?" sketches and I thought those were pretty lame..

Leln Tue 08-Sep-09 20:05:28

YA most def not being unreasonable.

The worst moment was when A Weir said "of course, I have no idea what a protractor is for".

I hate it when media people think it is absolutely fine to say "science / technology / engineering / protractors, it's all foreign to me" as if that is OK. It is not OK for an educated women not to know what a protractor is for. How can we inspire our kids to take science seriously (esp girls) if we tell them something as very simple as a protractor is too complicated to make sense of.

The idea of a Today style debate by two women about protractors whilst the men discuss economy, terrorism, supreme court etc. fills me with shame.

I had no idea who the woman was and have no wish to hear anything more from her.

AtheneNoctua Tue 08-Sep-09 20:20:37

I didn't really understand hy she was going on about it. What is wrong with a protractor being purple? If that interests girls in math, hey, go for it. And yes, she should have been ashamed for not knowing what a protractor is.

girlwithapearl Tue 08-Sep-09 22:02:41

Spot on Leln.
What also made my blood boil is that Sarah Montague is often made to do this kind of fluffy stuff, yet her alpha male colleagues never do it seems to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now