Talk

Advanced search

To get dreadlocks?

(143 Posts)
Spidermama Mon 07-Sep-09 20:28:33

I have ALWAYS wanted dreads. Always.

I am caucasian btw.

Tonight I found myself googling then texting around. I now have an appointment to see someone tomorrow about getting dreads.

OMG!

She does them by weaving and twisting and doesn't use any wax or sticky products.

My hair has always been a bit crap. Now it's greying it's even crapper. I love dreads on other women so figure this is a shot to nothing.

Dare I ask, what do you reckon?

MrsVik Mon 07-Sep-09 20:29:26

Woo! Go for it.

CybilLiberty Mon 07-Sep-09 20:29:27

Oh dear.

But life's for living so if it floats your boat, who cares what we think?

cocolepew Mon 07-Sep-09 20:29:35

Do you wear tie dye and lots of bangles?

millenniumfalcon Mon 07-Sep-09 20:30:05

get blue ones, there's a girl i see around town occasionally with big blue ones and they look amazing

LottaRump Mon 07-Sep-09 20:30:16

YANBU - they are fab.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 07-Sep-09 20:31:15

only if your name is 'River' or 'Wind' grin

harleyd Mon 07-Sep-09 20:31:49

do it

AnyFucker Mon 07-Sep-09 20:32:38

it sounds very silly, in my humble opinion

unless you are 17

LaurieFairyCake Mon 07-Sep-09 20:33:24

and you wear dresses made out of wheat

Callisto Mon 07-Sep-09 20:33:27

I love dreads too - on men and women regardless of age they look fantastic. Go for it and enjoy!

QueenOfFuckingEverything Mon 07-Sep-09 20:34:37

YANBU grin

I have dreads - I think we have discussed them before when I was someone else.

They are fab.

Spidermama Mon 07-Sep-09 20:35:26

Wow! Some positive responses. I didn't expect that. grin

I don't tend to wear tie dye these days Coco. More second had Betsey Johnson and Save the Queen.

The woman says she can weave in human hair so as to give me a bit of extra body. I'm not sure about that. I once read a horrible article about cutting the hair of Russian kids for western women's extensions. However she says hers are fairly traded.

Spidermama Mon 07-Sep-09 20:37:23

QofFE I wonder who you 'were'. Do you have girls and live nearish to me?

millenniumfalcon Mon 07-Sep-09 20:37:55

you can get felted wool ones can you not? i think the blue ones i covet are that type.

lucky1979 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:39:40

I had dreadlocks when I was 19 (red and orange ones). In retrospect I looked like a mad fraggle, but they were great at the time and incredibly easy to look after.

Sparkletastic Mon 07-Sep-09 20:40:07

Do they knacker your real hair though so if you get sick of them will your hair have thinned to nowt leaving you with bald spots and a need for a wig?! grin

crazylizzy Mon 07-Sep-09 20:40:18

I have deadlocks and I am Caucasian. I love them dearly BUT they are hard work, it will take months, probably years, for your locks to knot up tightly, until then, be prepared for hard work and daily commitment if you want tight nice locks. BTW on a serious note, be prepared to be judged far more than you do now.

Welcome to the natty dread head family! grin

Sparkletastic Mon 07-Sep-09 20:41:33

I did have some at uni having said that but not a whole head. They got very itchy but I am a hair-washing fiend. I also hated the pungent smell of hair that wafted from them. I could be a bit OCD about this mind you....

cocolepew Mon 07-Sep-09 20:43:10

grin I'm jealous really, I always wanted tem whe I was younger, I wanted to look like Kate Garner

Spidermama Mon 07-Sep-09 20:45:27

Pungent hair smell Sparkle? shock

Do yours smelly Crazylizzie? Also, do you use wax. My woman reckons she'll do it without any wax but I can't see how they'd hold going from scratch.

Crazylizzie how does that judgement manifest itself? I live in Brighton btw so am in good company, though not it the playground I frequent.

QueenOfFuckingEverything Mon 07-Sep-09 20:50:32

Spider I had a name v similar to yours [cryptic]

Will post a picture of me locks on profile now.

victoriascrumptious Mon 07-Sep-09 20:53:15

Go for it

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 07-Sep-09 20:54:06

Oooh what sort are you aiming for? Little thinny ones or big fat ones?

Do you have a link of the sort so that we can peruse?

(I am a medium to fat dread fan BTW - not keen on the little thin ones at all.)

crazylizzy Mon 07-Sep-09 20:54:34

No mine do not smell (at all) and yes, I do wax mine, every other day. Deadlocks really are hard work if you don't wax them and depending on your hair, may never knot up without wax. Caucasian hair especially needs wax, and it's best (IMO) to integrate the wax as she is dreading up, so the wax is "inside" the dread itself, apposed to being on the outside if you were to wax after getting them done.

Bad judgment sadly comes with dreadlocks, (obviously IMO and that of my very close friends who also have dreads). It was interesting to see life pre-dread and life post-dreads, it was a wide eye opening experience into human stereotyping. I guess it's a personal journey you will possibly encounter yourself, although living in Brighton will help wink

If you really want them and have always wanted them, you must do it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now