Talk

Advanced search

To send dd for pasta & meatballs school dinner when I know she doesn't like it?

(10 Posts)
nymphadora Mon 07-Sep-09 16:16:24

Dd2 has got very fussy about food i have spoken to dr as she can go a few days without eating and is only very slight. His advice was that I should give her food and if she doesn't eat it not to make a fuss. For now she is underweight but only just so should be ok.she had mentioned school dinners (dd1 has them) so today (1st day back ) she had dinner and only ate a bit but it was chips!

So now I have the menu & tomorrow is pasta and meatballs and I know she won't eat them BUT I don't want to let her have packed lunches this early!

WWYD?

Stigaloid Mon 07-Sep-09 16:19:32

I'd send her to the dinners. If the Dr says it won't harm her she may be more adventurous with other kids eating around her. I'd also make sure she has a large dinner when she gets home and a big breakfast to start off with.

Seeline Mon 07-Sep-09 16:20:44

My DD also very fussy has been having school meals for a year now and her eating has improved considerably. There are still some days when I know she won't like the dinner, and sometimes on those days she comes home saying that dinner was really nice!! I always keep an eye on teh menu, and check with her what she has eaten, and then I adjust the evening meal accordingly. Don't feel too guilty. I know even at home, I've cooked her 'favourite' and she will refuse to eat any of it grin

nymphadora Mon 07-Sep-09 16:23:47

Forgot to say he has referred her to dietician so we can work out a better eating plan for her. But the other issue is that she bawks and vomits when she is asked to trysomething( not good in a cafe!)

stigaloid- that's my view really but just feel guilty AND it's a new school and don't want us labelled awkward!

nymphadora Mon 07-Sep-09 16:24:38

Sound familier seeline!

Hulababy Mon 07-Sep-09 16:30:28

At DD's school school dinners are compulasary and there is very limited choice - main hot meal, veggie alternative if prebooked and a regular thing, or jacket potato and salad.

Even the fussiest of children (and last year when helping I saw quite a few VERY fussy eaters) have eventually started eating the food within a few very short weeks.

As the doctor has said it is fine I'd try the school dinner option first.

heartmoonshadow Mon 07-Sep-09 16:35:51

To be honest we have children who come to school as fussy eaters but then surprise us all by eating everything they get given within a couple of weeks. Mostly this spills over to home but sometimes the children as quite savvy about what they can get from their parents. One boy last year was given fruit at school and as far as I knew he liked it as he always ate it and asked for more! At parents evening his mum mentioned he will not eat fruit or veg at home, he was their and as sweet as pie said "But mummy the fruit and veg at school is different from what you give me." Bless!

heartmoonshadow Mon 07-Sep-09 16:36:43

Oops 'there' even - terrible grammar etc today. wink

nymphadora Mon 07-Sep-09 17:28:48

Fruit is the one thing she does eat!

charis Mon 07-Sep-09 17:37:37

ds was terribly picky when he started school. He often said that he had had no lunch. He wouldn't eat meat or tomatoes or anything that wasn't plain potato or pasta in fact (seemed to always manage to eat pudding though). Gradually peer pressure sorted him out and now in year three he eats or at least will try most things. This summer he has started eating mushrooms, hummous, rice and oranges (I felt like throwing a party).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now