Talk

Advanced search

To think Waitrose is an obscene rip-off

(199 Posts)
SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 15:09:34

I know they have lovely food, and you have to pay more for better-quality meat, etc., but surely there is no excuse for this:

Lindemans Framboise 375ml (raspberry beer)
Asda price: £1.64
Waitrose price: £2.19

Chimay bleu (trappist beer)
Asda price: £1.74
Waitrose price: £2.39

These are just bottles on a shelf.

Similarly canned food:

Heinz Spaghetti bolognese 400g
Asda 70p
Waitrose 98p

Toilet paper:

Andrex toilet quilts 9
Asda £4.76
Waitrose £5.35

and I could go on.

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 15:11:24

but asda is shit and full of scummers

hth

LaurieFairyCake Mon 07-Sep-09 15:11:48

Too small a list to compare.

I find the essentials range fantastic quality and very reasonably priced. Their own brand toilet paper is cheaper than Tesco.

And they deliver on a Sunday and nothing has ever gone wrong with delivery.

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 15:13:05

and the nice young men
i love them

and the waft of cashemere rahter than nylon

foofi Mon 07-Sep-09 15:13:15

YABU - too random.
There are plenty of special offers where they are cheaper than other shops.
And I'd happily pay more for a more pleasant, less crowded shopping experience wink

random Mon 07-Sep-09 15:13:15

Yep ...I'm not ashamed of walking around with my asda carrier bags (bags for life obviously)

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Mon 07-Sep-09 15:13:56

lol @ noah.

cost of poncing about waitrose in the company of ones own class 'priceless'

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 15:14:38

adn that you might over hear the word "exeat" used in a non ironic way

scroobiuspirate Mon 07-Sep-09 15:14:46

haha @ cashmere wafting young men

Owls Mon 07-Sep-09 15:15:09

Noah's right.

That Essential range is such a load of bullocks anyway. It's their own brand just put into cheaper packaging but they've kept the same prices!

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 15:15:23

and mufti
<snigger>

you CATCH THINGs at tesco, i sanitise my hands before accepting a delivery

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Mon 07-Sep-09 15:15:28

i haven't heard the word exeat since school, why would one hear it in waitrose?

MorrisZapp Mon 07-Sep-09 15:15:30

But Waitrose pay their suppliers a fair price, while Asda etc screw them down to below subsistence levels.

The best way to shop I think is to use a variety of places, that way you can catch all the different offers and specials.

Waitrose is comparatively pricy, I laugh when their own brand stuff is more expensive than the posh branded goods.

SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 15:17:49

I must admit I don't like Asda. Although I did get them to deliver the above mentioned booze.

And Waitrose are definitely ludicrously expensive - I remember noticing their halogen bulbs were twice the usual price.

bamboobutton Mon 07-Sep-09 15:19:34

since i discovered that waitrose sells macaroons they can do no wrong in my eyes.

CatherineofMumbles Mon 07-Sep-09 15:20:11

Totally agree, and avoid W as much as possible even tho' is nearest store and ASDA a 10 min drive.

Itsjustafleshwound Mon 07-Sep-09 15:20:46

Waitrose is also a 'co-operative' - and does a bit of investment in their staff (or so the gullible are led to believe)...

SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 15:21:37

doesn't everywhere sell macaroons?

CurlyQueen Mon 07-Sep-09 15:21:45

Personally I find that Asda is cheaper on branded packaged goods but awful for non-branded or fresh foods.

If you're interested in supermarket shopping you might want to look at this blind comparison between value, normal, premium and organic foods from a number of different supermarkets.

fishie Mon 07-Sep-09 15:22:20

dh did a price comparison on our waitrose shop and it came out pretty much the same. i think they are more costly for ready meals and that sort of thing, but i don't buy that anyway.

asda aisles are too small, cause fights.

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 15:23:08

I usually go to Sainsbos - thought would try Asda this week for a change. Didn;t like it and didn;t get half the stuff on my list because I thought it looked vile (e.g. houmous and cheeses). Also didn't like the look of Asda meat, I am not buying New Zealand lamb and Irish cows when the UK is full of the animals.

What I did buy was not any cheaper, really. Maybe a couple of quid, tops. Plus was exhausting - Gloucester Asda a hell hole on Sunday afternoon.

You can get some good deals in waitrose - for example bought a pack of huuuge sausages, some steaks and pork steaks for a tenner this week, their essentials range would be the premium range in any other supermarket. Plus their beer and wine is nice.

Also it is so much less crowded and frenetic in Waitrose, which is worth it if you're feeling frazzled.

SomeGuy Mon 07-Sep-09 15:24:22

it's not the aisles in Asda that cause the fights it's the customers grin

bamboobutton Mon 07-Sep-09 15:27:11

depends where you live i suppose, ive been hassling dh to find a Pauls in london and buy me some delicious, melty macaroons.

these

not

these, bleurgh

choppychopster Mon 07-Sep-09 15:27:27

No, the aisles at Asda just seem small fishie because their customers are so fat.

fishie Mon 07-Sep-09 15:29:47

i went to asda pwllheli a few weeks ago and lost my temper and shouted at ds, my dad and sister within 5 mins of arrival.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now