Talk

Advanced search

to think this school rule is a little, well, peculiar?

(27 Posts)
crazylizzy Mon 07-Sep-09 14:56:01

In DC (3yrs old) school booklet there's a list of school rules. One of them is "children must keep their hands to themselves at all times"

AIBU to think it's slightly odd?

Deeeja Mon 07-Sep-09 14:59:32

YANBU. Very odd indeed. What does it mean?

millenniumfalcon Mon 07-Sep-09 15:00:49

nope keeping hands/feet to selves is a standard one with littlies i think. it's a nicer way of saying no hitting/kicking basically. and yes, at 3 they do need a definite rule to that effect.

crazylizzy Mon 07-Sep-09 15:01:10

I have no idea! It made me raise an eye brow when I was browsing the school booklet! blush

TAFKAtheUrbanDryad Mon 07-Sep-09 15:01:12

As opposed to lending them out to other students? How bizarre!

stickylittlefingers Mon 07-Sep-09 15:02:07

Ours has a similar rule (except ours includes feet). It is apparently nothing to do with the swapping of body parts (you never know when you move to a new area), but is all about not hitting (and not kicking too, in our clearly more violent school).

I guess if the ole Glasgow kiss was an issue, they would have to keep their heads to themselves too, which would have been even more perplexing!

crokky Mon 07-Sep-09 15:03:51

Some children in my DS's school are keen pinchers grin - perhaps they want to stop that sort of thing!

CMOTdibbler Mon 07-Sep-09 15:08:36

I think I know exactly what they mean - ie no poking, fiddling (with hair, ribbons etc), tweaking, pulling, pinching, pushing,scratching, hitting etc. Fairly sure my mother used to tell her classes to keep their hands to themselves

UnquietDad Mon 07-Sep-09 15:11:44

No, ours has "keep hands and feet to yourselves at all times." It means no punching, poking, kicking etc.

CatherineofMumbles Mon 07-Sep-09 15:18:36

LOL! Still it is also a rule in my office, and most of, mostly, keep it....

LynetteScavo Mon 07-Sep-09 15:24:30

In DS2's reception class children had to keep thier "hands to themsleves" unless they were shaking hands or hugging.

This particularly meant no bashing each other on the head, which seemed a favourite passtime of the boys.

Oh, and no kissing either.

heartmoonshadow Mon 07-Sep-09 16:10:51

I agree - as a year 1 teacher we replace the kids rules of no whacking no kicking no hitting no pinching etc (their words not mine) into the rule 'We have find hands and feet'. This makes it more positive and is nicer to say than no and don't all the time.

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 16:11:16

VERY normal

GreensleevesFlouncedLikeAKnob Mon 07-Sep-09 16:13:39

I think the wording is a little off-putting

we have "we use gentle hands and kind words"

shootfromthehip Mon 07-Sep-09 16:13:40

I would expect that too- it's usually the sort of rule that the kids themselves come up with too if you make your own class rules. I'm a secondary teacher and when I make class rules with the class they always say this one.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 07-Sep-09 16:14:02

I agree with the sentiment behind it, but yes, I do think the phrasing is a little odd. Why not just say no hitting, pinching, kicking etc - afterall it can be no bad thing to spell it out to young children anyway, surely?

PuppyMonkey Mon 07-Sep-09 16:17:30

I like that rule and believe it should be applied as widely as possible. grin

Hulababy Mon 07-Sep-09 16:20:39

They don't write no hitting, kicking as you then have tomake a list of all possibile actions - and it can go on and on and on!!! And if some little dear finds one to do not on the list - well, have they broke the rules?

It is pretty standard and most children will know what it means.

Our school friendship charter has similar and the rules are discussed and chated about ina ssembly and in class time, so all the children know what each rule actually means.

gingernutlover Mon 07-Sep-09 16:24:56

totally normal

our school only has 2 rules

1. we follow instructions the first time

2. keep hands feet and objects to ourselves

seems to cover most eventualities and easy for everyone to rememeber

UnquietDad Mon 07-Sep-09 16:29:44

I liken the sound of gingernut's minimalist school rules list! You could boil it down to one: "Do As You're Told."

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 16:30:23

no even better

"grown up"

NoahFence Mon 07-Sep-09 16:30:33

GROW up
fgs

MissSunny Mon 07-Sep-09 16:37:52

Message withdrawn

Dumbledoresgirl Mon 07-Sep-09 16:37:54

Or my favourite: Do as you would be done by.

That one wouldn't work on a kid who liked fighting though....

mumeeee Mon 07-Sep-09 21:48:02

It's normal. it just means don't hit or pinch other children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now