Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at having to pay £50 to wear a gown for a few hours?

(13 Posts)
devotion Mon 07-Sep-09 10:02:35

Going to my presentation ceremony at college tomorrow. I did not do a degree but a certificate but I still have to wear a gown and pay £50 for the priviledge? I want to own it for that money.

Its ridiculous - why is it so expensive???

What about people on low salaries?

nickytwotimes Mon 07-Sep-09 10:03:56

This is why I never go to these things.
Just another money making scheme.

devotion Mon 07-Sep-09 10:21:20

Yeah I am so annoyed about having to pay out that kind of money plus the travel as it will be before 9.30am for my partner and I to New Cross in London. Think I might not go.

It was my parents that encouaged me to go because I have not other real qualifications so I guess this was a big achievement for me.

Think I might just leave it now.

nickytwotimes Mon 07-Sep-09 10:53:16

It is a big achivement!
Perhaps have a meal out to celebrate instead. And wine, of course. wink

LadyMuck Mon 07-Sep-09 13:54:18

Do you know any teachers - they might be able to lend you a gown?

diedandgonetodevon Mon 07-Sep-09 13:56:46

If you object to paying so stongly, why not just not go? You don't have to attend the ceremony to get your certificate.

stickylittlefingers Mon 07-Sep-09 13:57:51

If you're not that bothered by the ceremony (I wouldn't be) I would use the money to do something you would really like to do instead. Sounds like an expensive faff to me - only worth doing if you're together with all your friends, imo.

I went to my masters one because it would be the last time we were all together, but there was a similar ceremony for the law society, which was just alphabetical groups of us - so I didn't bother with that.

devotion Mon 07-Sep-09 17:20:47

I've decided not to go. Instead we are going to go for a nice meal together. It was my mum who really wanted me to go. If it was a degree maybe I would feel different. I plan on doing a masters in about five years so I will definitely go to that one.

If it cost less I would have gone.

Unfortunately they have different gowns for different awards so you can not just borrow one from someone. The college said this company is the only company who hire the correct gowns for their awards. Its a real scam really, I am in the wrong business I think

MrsPigeon Mon 07-Sep-09 17:25:59

Devotion, I don't know if you can be bothered but you might want to tell the college/ university why you are not attending. £50 sounds like a lot to me and if they knew officially that it was stopping people attending graduation, maybe they would do something about it? They should be trying to make the ceremony inclusive, not helping the rental company get rich!

devotion Mon 07-Sep-09 21:50:45

MrsPigeon - exactly!

I emailed the college and the gown company about the price earlier today and all they could say was that if I had hired it earlier I could have hired it for £42 which is not much better anyway?

It just does not sound right to me but I guess most people do not mind paying that for gaining a degree or a masters. I can understand that.

Ah well!

beanie35 Mon 07-Sep-09 22:13:35

I have to pay £40 to hire a gown for my degree graduation, plus they are charging £16 each for guest tickets and a further £30 if you want a photo (professional).

As a new graduate who is unemployed with a family this seems like a huge amount to find for one afternoon. Only that my dp is encouraging me, once in a lifetime experience, etc. Can't believe they don't offer big discounts to those who haven't been able to find employment after they qualify for grad ceremonies.

Well done on passing your course, have a nice celebration.

CurlyQueen Mon 07-Sep-09 22:17:57

Wow, that is expensive. The whole kit for my degree was £23 (more like 30 for a man cos you'd need to hire a white bow tie).

devotion Tue 08-Sep-09 22:52:59

beanie35 - congratulations on your achievement and I guess i would pay for it if mine was a degree but its only a certificate.

My photos are even more expensice thab that - disgusting! I was going to just take my own anyway if I had gone.

Our guest tickets are £22 each, where do you live. My uni is in New Cross, London so maybe thats why its more expensive.

Anyway today my partner and I went into town for a big slap up meal so I'm happy with that.

Enjoy your day, you deserve it. I struggled to complete all my assignments so cant imagine getting through a degree x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now