Talk

Advanced search

I upset someone accidently this evening

(18 Posts)
Wonderstuff Sun 06-Sep-09 21:11:31

Was out with dh,dd (nearly 2),db and my dad at a restraunt. Were shown to seats in a family section, just us and another party consisting of 4 adults and 6 boys, all about 6ish I think. Play room off this area, v.small with a little tikes slide and see-saw and assoted toys, you were unable to see into the play area from the dining area.

Anyway children at other table had finished and went to play, dd was asking for toys (having been into play room once) and so her and dh went for a nosey, dh quickly returned, with dd, boys running around, too much for her. I sent dh back for a toy to play with at table as dd sobbing 'toys' I cuddle dd and said 'daddy getting toy, big boys are in playroom, bit too rough for baby wonder'. Next thing I know parents are up, boy are cleared out of room other mum loudly exclaims something or other I say no, I was not having a go at all, its just a small room. Mother says in a very hope you are happy now way there is now plenty of room for dd. I say I really wasn't having a dig and she mutters something about sensitivity.

They pay and leave. I am upset that I offended them and annoyed at them for taking offence. They obviously though I was bang out of order. Was I?

edam Sun 06-Sep-09 21:13:10

They sound very over-sensitive - of course six 6yos are going to be a bit much for a 2yo!

colditz Sun 06-Sep-09 21:13:59

She was probably well aware that the boys were not being very well supervised and guilt made her comment like that!

Alambil Sun 06-Sep-09 21:14:00

did dd decide it was too rough for her or dh? how old is she? they MAY have been very lovely 6 yr old lads who'd be gentle around her (my ds would) but then again they may be little oiks...

lilacpink Sun 06-Sep-09 21:15:33

No, you had a normal reaction, 6 years olds should be told to play calmly by restaurant - they weren't in a park! Other parents over-reacted (they were probably due to leave anyhow, just wanted to moan).

footinmouth Sun 06-Sep-09 21:16:18

I would take no notice. You can't reason with unreasonable people.

They said their piece, you explained what you meant, they chose to have a big huff and leave.

Life's too short

Heated Sun 06-Sep-09 21:18:00

Ah, the professional martyr. Probably offended greatly - and enjoying it - at least 9 times a day. Ignore the daft bint.

Wonderstuff Sun 06-Sep-09 21:26:35

Lewis dd is not yet 2, boys were aparently running around and hitting each other over the head with a space hopper, which I didn't object to at all, dd got a bit upset though and I thought that best solution was for her to play at the table. I have no issue with boys being boys, I was just explaining the situation to dd and other mum felt I was having a dig.

Glad you all think I wasn't being a cow, I'll be up half the night worrying about it. I must learn to let go..

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 06-Sep-09 21:42:40

It was probably her way of getting out of leaving a tip grin

groundhogs Mon 07-Sep-09 00:14:13

lol whereyouleft it!

6 x 6yo? that'd be enough for anyone, they are soooo wild compared with a 2yo.. remember it well at those soft play area thingys.

she was looking for an excuse to get out of there pronto and return a few of them from whence they came..

cathcat Mon 07-Sep-09 00:24:25

She was just jealous that she was stuck with 6 rowdy boys and you had one small DD!

Mummygoesohh Mon 07-Sep-09 01:33:37

lol...think cathcat is spot on.

Wonderstuff Tue 08-Sep-09 20:32:35

2 lessons learnt I think
1. Using word 'rough' in description of others children 'tis a bit insensitive I guess
2. Eateries with play rooms should be avoided grin

I think cathcat has a point - it was her 40th birthday celebration (there were balloons) I think for such events is better if adults outnumber children hmm

boyngirl Wed 09-Sep-09 13:37:48

It would annoy me if someone used the word 'rough' and I am not in the least bit precious, honest. And you didn't say it was her 40th birthday celebration!

EleanoraBuntingCupcake Wed 09-Sep-09 13:41:22

you could be accused of loud parenting, i would have thought you were having a dig, but i would have ignored you.

OrmIrian Wed 09-Sep-09 13:55:31

DMOB syndrome I suspect. Until you have a big 'rough' boy you don't know how oversensitive you can get.

YorkshireRose Wed 09-Sep-09 14:00:37

Well, if they were hitting each other over the head with a Space Hopper then they were being a bit rough IMO! Those things hurt! grin

If I had been the other mother I would have been a bit embarassed that kids in my charge were running riot, would have ordered said boys to CALM DOWN then apologised to mother of 2yo.

I have always made sure my dcs do not intimidate younger kids in places like this by boisterous play. They need to learn to be considerate of others around them.

YorkshireRose Wed 09-Sep-09 14:02:19

And I do have a big rough boy - older than 6 and built like a prop forward! grin

Still manages to be lovely and gentle with younger kids, though, and was when he was 6.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now