Talk

Advanced search

to think a nintendo DS should last more than 9 months

(16 Posts)
SingleMum01 Fri 04-Sep-09 20:09:14

I bought my DS a DS for Xmas and the top section now doesn't lock in place. It works fine apart from that but the top just keeps flopping. Does anyone know if you can tighten the hinge - I can't see anyway of doing it. I bought it online but am considering taking it back to the local shop.

carelesswhispers Fri 04-Sep-09 20:17:34

the seem to break very easily , my ds has had two ds's in the last 18 months , now his psp is also broken so he wants a new 1 this xmas

SingleMum01 Fri 04-Sep-09 20:20:12

I guess it gets a lot of use, but doesn't seem very good to me, after all they're not cheap. And OMG I've just bought him a PSP for his birthday, hope that's okay!

carelesswhispers Fri 04-Sep-09 20:33:04

ds let his psp fall off his bed & the laser that reads the games fell out , i reckon my ds is jinxed when it comes to consoles though grin

mooseloose Fri 04-Sep-09 20:35:15

You should have a guarantee for a year for a fault? I took mine back witen the hinges broke.

badgermonkey Fri 04-Sep-09 20:40:19

Yeah, I took mine back into the shop when the hinge broke and they just gave me a new one there and then.

SingleMum01 Fri 04-Sep-09 20:56:21

I haven't got the receipt though

tethersend Fri 04-Sep-09 21:14:47

SingleMum01 You don't need a receipt- just proof of purchase: this can be a bank statement or the testimony of someone who was with you when you bought it.

See the sale of goods act

The item is faulty and you are entitled to a repair or a replacement- and it is the shop who must do this, don't let them claim it is the manufacturer's responsibility.

You are covered no matter what the warranty (if any) says.

mooseloose Fri 04-Sep-09 21:40:52

I had no end of bother with my sons mobile phone that kept breaking. They sent it to be repaired twice. I
fought it over sale of goods act and got it replaced.

Search 'sale of goods act' on google, and there is a free government ( i think) helpline, they were really useful to me. If you dont have any joy finding a receipt you may have to try the manufacturere, but it should be the shop firstly. I think you are covered 3 or even 5 years. i am sure ds are not that old anyway?

badgermonkey Fri 04-Sep-09 22:49:19

Try the shop first and if no good, go to Nintendo. They're really pretty good for customer service (I suspect this is why shops exchange DSes so readily).

mumeeee Fri 04-Sep-09 22:56:01

DD3 has had hers since she was about 12 and she's now 17. so that's 5 years and we have never had any trouble with it. My almost 10 year old niece has had a DS lite for the last 3 years and hers hasn't broken either. So yanbu and you should take it nac to the shop.

Wonderstuff Fri 04-Sep-09 23:01:36

Where did you buy it. I used to work for GAME and they are really good at being able to look up transactions if you can find out when you brought it and provide a bank statement. As long as you didn't pay cash you should be able to get a refund under sale of goods act.

paddingtonbear1 Fri 04-Sep-09 23:05:35

yanbu. I got one for dh last xmas and it's still OK, a slight scratch on the screen but the whole family have been using it!

SingleMum01 Sat 05-Sep-09 08:22:42

Thanks Wonderstuff - it was Game online I bought it from - I've also found my receipt - yahoo! Will take it back when DS is back at school and get 5!

Wonderstuff Sat 05-Sep-09 16:41:46

Excellent. smile

mooseloose Sat 05-Sep-09 18:50:31

Let us know how you get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now