Talk

Advanced search

To ask/tell my potential work placement I have to reduce hours

(6 Posts)
Jujubean77 Thu 03-Sep-09 19:51:23

In a nutshell I have been accepted onto a course (very happy about this after months of worry). As part of the course I have an unpaid work placement which I thought had to be 3 mornings and sorted out months ago.

After enrolling today they said it would only be a morning's work as the causework and tutorials are quite extensive throughout the week.

I have to now explain to the school I will only need to work one morning and not three. I have been trying to do this over the last few days but they are not open, so I may have to tell them on my first day there - Monday. I am a bit nervous about it. If they don't accept I can't do the course.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting here but I feel apologetic but at the same time it is totally out of my control and I didn't find out until this time the requirements. How do you think I should handle it? Constructive advice really needed I am quite over emotional and a worrier.

CybilLiberty Thu 03-Sep-09 19:55:40

Well, for starters it's unpaid, right? So you are doing THEM a favour by working there for nothing.

I think they would be glad of any free help, it's out of your control that it's not as many as you thought.

CybilLiberty Thu 03-Sep-09 19:56:38

Oh and try not to overthink it. it's a new term at school, with all the business that brings. I'm sure you doing less hours will not be that big a deal. (not belittling you being there smile)

Jujubean77 Thu 03-Sep-09 19:58:18

No not at all CL one of my thoughts was - I am sure she will have more to worry about and just say fine. I just hope she does !

CybilLiberty Thu 03-Sep-09 20:02:20

Yes you are right. I know you feel you are letting them down but it's not the case.

shatteredmumsrus Thu 03-Sep-09 20:18:11

Im in similar situation. Got offered a job in the holidays as a SEN administrator for 3 days a week and I already have a job 2 days a week so thought I could manage both (need the money) Also my son doesnt start school til 24th Sep (reception) and so I have no childcare til then. They asked me to go for a mtg today which I did and said we will see you tomorrow then and I had to explain my situation and they were really flexible. You do feel bad a bout it but they are human too, Just be honest is my advice Good luck....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now