Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed at my mum, over blinds lol.

(13 Posts)
PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 15:47:25

Bloody BLINDS!!

My nan passed away a few weeks ago and when the house was being emptied on Sunday someone suggested that i have the blinds as we live in the same type house and they will fit my house.
Anyway the blinds were dropped off here on Sunday ( i do have my own blinds btw) but they were really nicotine stained and dusty.
I am moving in a few weeks and due to give birth on the 15th, so the last thing on my list is cleaning these blinds ( where else could i do it except in the bath?). So they are in my close (secure area) as the nicotine smell was overwhelming and i thought i could give them a wash in a few weeks and see if they fitted the new house - no point taking my own blinds off and putting these ones up then moving is there?

Anyway! My mum came round last night with my sis, she just sat there and never spoke a word, my sister has just told me this morning that it is because i don't have my 'new blinds' up and i should be greatful as they are much better than my blinds shock. So when my sis told me, i couldn't help but laugh.. but my mum is being serious. She isn't talking to me, and i can't even be bothered making an effort to fix things really. gahh.

NadiaWadia Thu 03-Sep-09 15:50:16

Your Mum sounds a bit odd. She could have offered to wash them for you FGS!

PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 15:53:18

A bit odd is a compliment lol.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Thu 03-Sep-09 15:57:12

She is overreacting certainly. She probably (irrationally) sees it as you being ungrateful about the "gift" from your nan.

Putting down to her grieving and make the first move to explain and patch things up smile

groundhogs Thu 03-Sep-09 16:02:34

oh bless! yanbu at all,

did you not say to yr mum that you might save them for yr new house, cos they're so nice?

Missed a trick there.. Lol,

Give her a ring and say,

you silly sausage mum, they'll be in pride of place once i've moved, they do need a good clean before they go up tho, you can give me a hand so we can see how they come up if you like? Then a bit of waffling about how grateful you are etc etc, and it should all be forgotten!
Lol, mums are funny sometimes eh?

I just moved, and moaned about the iron i'd got.. Well, now i've been given mum's mil's iron, think it might be out of the ark... But couldn't risk offending her dh, and then of course my mum herself...

Will now just bide my time for irresistible bargain so i can get one with a steam shot...

PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 16:04:43

Yes she called me ungrateful, and said i should have had them washed and hung by now, when my sister pointed out that i was 38 weeks pregnant and couldn't easily bend over the bath to clean blinds for every room in the house, she said that my DP should have had it done. He works 5 days a week but should have done it after work.
Just seems a bit pita since we are moving within the next month.

diddl Thu 03-Sep-09 16:16:45

YANBU.
Did you even want the blinds?
If they´re that dirty, it would probably be better to take your own, TBH.
I´m afraid if they smelt of smoke & were nicotine stained, I would have thrown them.

But your Mum is obviously upset having just lost her Mum.

2rebecca Thu 03-Sep-09 17:48:35

I hate blinds so would have refused them. Sounds like a grief reaction as others have said. Tell her you'll clean them up and put them up when you move. You could show her them if she makes a fuss about how clean they are. Often when peoples eyesight goes they get less cleanliness bothered as they age and your mum probably hadn't noticed her mums blinds getting dirty and remembers them from when she was young and they were spotless. Seems very OTT though.

groundhogs Thu 03-Sep-09 18:58:41

dp should have washed them?

Oh lol, i'd have paid to see you convince him to do that! Oh yes honey, baby imminent, and i need you to come home from work and hand wash some old blinds, that'll probably get used in our new house.. Can you do it for me now love?

Yr mum, bless her, ibu, must be grief, but certainly causing same for you! Deep breaths eh? It'll blow over eventually..

And they say expectant mothers are hormonal and irrational!

Can you not just bung them in the machine on a cool wash? I heard milton sterilising solution cleans em right up, but not ever actually tried that myself...

PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 19:08:55

Yeah, i'm guessing it is a grief thing too. My nan was almost 80 and smoked like a chimney. Everything in the house was yellow, and it has always been like that as far as i remember.

I will wash them up when we move and they might fit somewhere in the new house.

diddl Thu 03-Sep-09 19:14:02

What sort of blinds are they?
You mentioned the bath, so I´m thinking Venetian?

Measure up before you wash, just in case they won´t fit!!

PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 19:18:40

Em they are the ones that hang, thick cream (yellow!) material with weights in the bottom, big metal pole along the top.

groundhogs Thu 03-Sep-09 21:53:47

oh crikey! Well that's a ton of work.. I've got one of those to do here in this house, soaking in the bath eh? Yeah like i'm bouncing off the walls with energy to do that.. Good luck! :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now