Talk

Advanced search

I am disgusted with this video

(19 Posts)
weejie Thu 03-Sep-09 12:56:26

its a band I quite like, mgmt

they've made a video for their song kids, which features a child of about 18 months to 2 years being terrified by people dressed up as zombies and monsters

you can see it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otjSmlAeBb4#movie_player

worst bit starts about 2 mins 3 secs in.

I'm so angry! how can we get this video banned, or them done for child cruelty!!

PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 12:59:10

yanbu, but this thread was done a few weeks back.

weejie Thu 03-Sep-09 13:00:08

really?? did anything come out of it?? I was hoping the combined might of mumsnet might get them to drop the video!

can you point me to the other thread

PrammyMammy Thu 03-Sep-09 13:05:39

I'll find it, or try, it was in aibu somewhere..
this could be it..

mayorquimby Thu 03-Sep-09 13:50:36

don't see anything wrong with it myself.
don't think it's a particularly nice video or even a good one to be honest.
but i wouldn't have any problem with it.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Sep-09 13:59:09

Are you mad hmm?

the bairn was crying already - those people aren't really there - he is not seeing them.

mayorquimby Thu 03-Sep-09 14:02:47

"I'm so angry! how can we get this video banned, or them done for child cruelty!!
"

sorry didn't even notice that line. WTF?

MissSunny Thu 03-Sep-09 14:27:47

Message withdrawn

weejie Thu 03-Sep-09 16:02:59

it didn't look like editing to me...clearly I'm not as sophisticated as you lot

but whatever, letting your kid cry for entertainment, that's ok? really?

madameDefarge Thu 03-Sep-09 16:07:42

weejie, there are incredibly strict laws about the use of children in videos/tv/film/advertising. There is no way on earth that those children ever saw the nasty monsters.

No, on an artistic level, yes a bit rubbish...but no child child was hurt in the making of that video!

Please, honestly, it is all done by technology!

weejie Thu 03-Sep-09 16:10:01

looked at the previous thread, and this comment put it very well "What I object to is the very real baby crying. Even if the scary stuff if digital, a responsible adult let a baby cry long enough to get all the shots they needed for the video, which usually means long hours shooting over three or so days. He isn't pretend-upset. He is upset and isn't old enough to understand why a parent won't respond (I would have been able to justify it if he was, say, five and could understand pretending to do something). This isn't controlled crying where it is for some arguable greater good. This is for a music video. So IMHO it is not a worthwhile reason." and so yes, I'd like to see some form of censure for this.

MissSunny Thu 03-Sep-09 16:19:35

Message withdrawn

MissSunny Thu 03-Sep-09 16:24:20

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Thu 03-Sep-09 16:40:05

It is heavily edited - the kid is probably only crying for a couple of minutes (as kids do naturally) and then the same expression and the turning round is used over and over again.

She probably isn't even 'holding' him.

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 03-Sep-09 16:42:26

It is quite disturbing to watch (I am quite hormonal right now and I almost shed a tear watching him look all bewildered!) but theres no way that the child would of seen the monster/zombie things.
As for him crying its no different to the NSPCC adverts showing crying children or a TV series or film requiring a screaming child for the plot.

weejie Thu 03-Sep-09 16:53:27

really? how do you know? don't be so complacent... have a look at these pics
http://court13news.blogspot.com/2009/06/photos-kids-by-mgmt-behind-scenes.html

doesn't look like bluescreen to me

EyeballsintheSky Thu 03-Sep-09 16:55:48

While I'm sure it was made 'correctly' it is pretty horrible to watch, I agree.

Rubyrubyruby Thu 03-Sep-09 17:00:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmazingBouncingFerret Thu 03-Sep-09 17:02:15

It probably wasnt done bluescreen, they most likely shot things twice and then edited it to make it appear like he was looking at them, more than likely in the childs shot it was just people standing where the monsters would be so the child would have the correct head movements. Someone with more media knowledge would probably explain it better than me im limited to my Alevel Media Studies!!

Could you try contacting the director to see exactly how the video was made to reassure you maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now