Talk

Advanced search

to think I should have had an invite to sil hen night

(8 Posts)
fefnone Wed 02-Sep-09 22:33:14

New to the forum but would love some answers. MIL just phoned to make sure we were already for the wedding on Saturday. I asked about hen night and was informed that sil had gone out for a quiet dinner with the girls from work. I know these 'girls' are the same age as me majority over 40. Feel fed up and always pushed out. Also FIL went on her husband to be's stag night and my dh didnt get an invite. We only live 10 minutes away. They must really dislike me and just tolerate me

Pingpong Wed 02-Sep-09 22:42:37

YABU ! You are invited to the wedding - sounds like the hen/stag were pretty quiet affairs. I think you are being oversensitive TBH
I've got to go to my MIL's hen night on Friday and I would have been delighted to have had no invition. It's her 3rd marriage - I really don't see the need to make a big song and dance about it. I know I'll the youngest person there by at least 2 decades.

2rebecca Wed 02-Sep-09 22:45:42

I think different people see hennights differently. I'm amazed when people talk about inviting their mum or MIL to a he night, to me a hen night is a girl's last fling with her largely unmarried friends, not a general relly invite. This idea has largely gone with folk marrying later and having more than 1 wedding. I would never be expected to be invited to anyone's hen do, except that of my best friend though (and I couldn't make that as she lives 400 miles away and I was heavily pregnant at the time)
I never got invited to my SIL's if she had one. She has her own circle of friends. I don't think she's unreasonable at all. If she didn't invite you to the wedding that would be unreasonable. Do you really want to go for a night out with your SIL and all her work friends who I presume you don't work with or know? I think she would be being mean if she invited every female family member except you, but it sounds as though she sees hen nights as a friends/ colleagues thing not an extended family thing, which I think is truer to the original idea anyway. Go out for the night with your own friends and wish her well.

mumeeee Wed 02-Sep-09 22:47:44

YABU. Your SIL just went out with her friends from work.A lot of people don't invite future SIL and Bil to thier Hen?stag nights

beanieb Wed 02-Sep-09 22:48:32

yabu.

I think it's up to the hen to decide what kind of night she has, if any, and it sounds like she wanted a quiet evening with good friends.

morocco Wed 02-Sep-09 22:51:36

yabu and self centred - it's about her not you

Portofino Wed 02-Sep-09 22:55:38

yabu - I only had friends/close work colleagues at mine. I did invite my sister but she couldnt come and wouldn't have known anyone. After willy hoopla and forfeits I'm quite glad no family members were there TBH!

cat64 Wed 02-Sep-09 23:13:59

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now