Talk

Advanced search

so i called the police.

(79 Posts)
usedtobeme Wed 02-Sep-09 21:07:33

Following on from my previous thread about my teenage dog sitter taking the piss..

Basically discovered my almost 15 yr old dog walker had been in my house, gone thru my cupboards (with a friend i already banned from my home) stolen a bottle of gin, beers and a bottle of brandy. I had it out with him and his mum gave him a telling off (of sorts)

Since discovered my kids piggy bank has been emptied of all but the coppers, tens and twenties. Gutted.

I rang the other boys parnets and they said they didn't see how their son could be involved and had an awful tone.

So i rang the police who said we were within our rights to charge them but we decided a talking to would be ample.

I feel bad for my neighbour but i feel like i've been burgled and to be honest she did little more than get upset and say she was worried about him and he was still being a little cocky for my liking during our 'chat'.

Was i out of order invoving the police?? I hope it gives him enough of a fright to put him on the straight and narrow.

2shoes Wed 02-Sep-09 21:10:34

no imo yanbu
he over stepped the mark and his parents are uninterested,
the police my save him iynwim

monkeypinkmonkey Wed 02-Sep-09 21:14:17

YANBU hopefully the police talk will sort them out. Maybe next they will think before they steal even if it is just 10's and 20's.

morocco Wed 02-Sep-09 21:15:53

yanbu
how upsetting. definitely he needs a kick up the arse now to stop him getting into worse trouble later on

allaboutme Wed 02-Sep-09 21:15:53

good for you!

usedtobeme Wed 02-Sep-09 21:16:47

Monkeypink it was only 10ps and 20ps they left. They took the £5 note and all the £1 coins and 50ps.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Wed 02-Sep-09 21:19:40

YANBU

Rindercella Wed 02-Sep-09 21:23:03

YANBU. Hopefully a scare from the police will be just what the little fecker needs to dissuade him from further crimes. Because of course it is criminal what he has done. Rifling through drawers and stealing booze & money is common theft.

He is actually quite lucky that you have decided to take it no further than a ticking off by the police.

Heated Wed 02-Sep-09 21:31:49

YANBU.

You've given the parents a chance to sort out their thieving offspring, who clearly have no compunction about stealing from small children. Nor, as I think most parents would do, have they offered to make restitution.

We would do the same.

TheChilliMooseisyourfriend Wed 02-Sep-09 21:32:14

YANBU. Please don't let him into your house again. What a toe-rag.

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 02-Sep-09 21:32:30

What a horrible thing to have happened!

YANBU at all. They are very lucky you didn't take it further.

groundhogs Wed 02-Sep-09 21:34:05

good for you indeed, i think the boy needs to repay the piggy bank money, that's the least he could do.

TheCrackFox Wed 02-Sep-09 21:36:04

YANBU. A kick up the arse (from the police) might just do him a favour.

Leeka Wed 02-Sep-09 21:38:26

Did the parents offer to refund you and replace the booze? VERY rude if not - and up to them if they then make him work it off/pay them back/whatever punishment.

If my 15 year old son had done that I'd have marched him straight round with apologies, flowers and replacement everything including cash.

TeamEdward Wed 02-Sep-09 21:39:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortington Wed 02-Sep-09 21:41:13

bit ott imo

usedtobeme Wed 02-Sep-09 21:45:58

Parents didn't offer to replace anything.

custardo really ? ott? 2 teenagers of almost 15 going thru cupboards ands stealing alcohol and money and you think a ticking off from the police is ott? I feel like i've been burgled.

I have far greater expectations for my children. But then we are all different.

Tortington Wed 02-Sep-09 22:07:52

i have greater expectations from my children too. I hope there wasn't any underlying inference there as i am not sure what your statement qualifies exactly

i felt that you did the right thing by speaking to the parents.

if something significant of value had been taken i would have phoned the police

but not for some bottles of alcohol and 10p and 20ps from the piggy bank.

you did put this in AIBU

i thought you were

MmeLindt Wed 02-Sep-09 22:11:19

If you had gone straight to the police then I would have thought it too harsh. Since you did speak to the boys and their parents and their reaction was not good, then I think you were right to involve the police.

MissMoopy Wed 02-Sep-09 22:13:15

Totally the right thing to do. Little shits!

usedtobeme Wed 02-Sep-09 22:13:39

custardo maybe you should read the thread before you comment.

It wasn't 10p and 20ps they took, that is what they left. It was all the other money in there they took. A £5 note, lots of pound coins and all the 50ps. It was my sons birthday money.

I am well aware of where i posted thank you.

usedtobeme Wed 02-Sep-09 22:19:16

Thank you for the replies. I did think long and hard before calling the police but i feel it was the right thing to do as in my opinion stealing is stealing no matter how you dress it up.

The other boy is apparently in trouble alot, drinks at school etc so personally i hope this is the wake up call he needs.

Tortington Wed 02-Sep-09 22:22:03

i read and commented on the OP

lots of people agree with you

i don't

get over it

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 02-Sep-09 22:23:11

I think that you did the right thing, usedtobeme. His behaviour was totally unacceptable, and I don't think that his parents have reacted appropriately either. The least they should have done is to offer to replace the things he took. That is what I would do if one of my dses had done this - and then I'd have made them work to repay me.

You'd also have got a bunch of flowers and a letter of apology from me and from my ds!

usedtobeme Wed 02-Sep-09 22:29:10

good reading custardo but can't see myself where it says in the op that they took 10ps and 20ps. I have noticed on other threads that you like to go against the grain, good for you!

Thanks stayingsunny i too would have felt i couldn't apologise enough and i didn't actually get an apology from any of the parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now