Talk

Advanced search

To think that people who obsess about car seats should do an advanced driving course

(24 Posts)

It seems like everybody on here worries about picking the right car seat and the NCAP rating of their car, but I'll bet only about 1% have taken an advanced driving test.

Having the right equipment to survive a crash is good, but not having a crash in the first place is what we should be aiming for.

Studies show that an advanced driving test considerably reduces your risk of having an accident in the first place and achieving a pass with the IAM or RoSPA costs less than a decent car seat.

I know 90% of the population think that they are in the best 10% of drivers, but how good are you really?

I don't have the scary videos the car seat obsessive are find of, so here's a scary question instead :-)

Are your children safe with you behind the wheel?

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 02-Sep-09 13:16:51

good point.

Mamazon Wed 02-Sep-09 13:18:57

you could be the gfreatest driver in the world.
doesn't prevent the car in front/behind/on the opposite side of the road being a moron.

so yes, take an advanced driving test as it will help you react, but don't think that being a great driver means you don't need to make sure the people in your car have the safest seats available.

bethoo Wed 02-Sep-09 13:25:33

you cant be the best driver in the workd but yuo cant guarantee that another car driver is not an idiot!
you cant stop someone from drink driving or falling asleep at the wheel for example.
so i dont think an advanced driving course is a sure guarantee that you will not have an accident!

edam Wed 02-Sep-09 13:28:48

It's not either/or is it? I doubt the tutors on the advanced drivers course would say, well done, you've passed, now you can chuck your child car seats away...

I didn't say it was a guarantee any more than a top rated car seat guarantees that your child will survive an accident.

It does reduce your risk.

AvrilH Wed 02-Sep-09 13:32:43

Good point. I would definitely go on an advanced driving course in preference to shelling out £000s on a car seat. It is a lifetime investment too.

Feierabend Wed 02-Sep-09 13:34:40

LOL. How many more threads on this topic? wink

MIAonline Wed 02-Sep-09 13:36:09

It would probably be a good idea, but come on, lets not beat someone up for caring in any way. Whether that be about car seats or something different. Even if I don't always agree with people, I do respect them for giving a shit.

Did you suggest it on the other thread?

bethoo Wed 02-Sep-09 13:36:29

AvrilH are you new here?
sorry for hijack.
and with reference to car seats front faceing seats are not really 100% safe for under 4s as it can cause spinal injury should the car be hit. rear facing are advised til 5 years of age or so it has been stated by the media etc.

I thought about posting on the other thread, but there was too much crap on there already.

BedofRosesItAintII Wed 02-Sep-09 13:38:24

Hmmm, have been thinking about the advanced driving test, purely as I really enjoy driving and also I think (correct me if I am wrong) you get a reduction on car insurance.

I think YANBU at all, and thanks for the links!

whyme2 Wed 02-Sep-09 13:38:33

I've done an advance ddriving course and although you cannot choose who else is on the road I learnt to judge risk and assess other drivers and how to protect myself from them. It was well worth it and I learned a lot.
Arguing that other drivers are idiots is not an excuse. You can learn how to drive safely whatever the conditions around you.

cat64 Wed 02-Sep-09 13:42:40

Message withdrawn

AvrilH Wed 02-Sep-09 13:42:59

bethoo Not very, I used post occasionally under another name. Why do you ask?

No seat is 100% safe. We can't protect our DC from risk, just do the best we can to manage it under our own circumstances.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 02-Sep-09 13:56:57

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Wed 02-Sep-09 13:59:23

i think we should make our roads more safe. the uk has some of the worst roads in europe.

Meglet Wed 02-Sep-09 14:03:53

Yanbu-ish. I'm halfway through advanced driving (on a break due to kids) and as someone else has said it teaches drivers to minimise risk, don't get too close to other drivers, keep your distance, good car control etc.

But its also essential to get good car seats too.

edam Wed 02-Sep-09 17:16:47

SEA, in what way? I thought our record for road accidents esp. deaths was actually one of the best in Europe.

southeastastra Wed 02-Sep-09 17:45:06

the way roads are designed, number of trees along roadsides and lack of crash barriers, saw a programme, wish i could remember what it was called..

edam Wed 02-Sep-09 18:49:07

interesting. I think there's a word for it (the way roads are designed and the job title of the designers) but can't think what on earth it is! Probably something obvious like highway planning or something but I'm sure I heard something more complicated...

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 02-Sep-09 18:50:45

Message withdrawn

spicemonster Wed 02-Sep-09 18:56:18

Very good point CAUP.

I also wish that people were sent to traffic school (like they are in the US) to learn how to drive again when they do things like:
- turn before indicating
- demonstrate no awareness of other road users
- insist on sitting in the middle lane of the motorway at all times
- veer out of their lane when going round roundabouts
- drive in the centre of the road because they have no idea how wide their vehicle is and are scared of hitting parked cars.

Ive done an advanced driving course, offered by my local council.

Invaluable - was told that when you get past 3 years driving, all that you were taught is either invalid, or not used by you.

Learnt some really usefull information - and I am one of those mums that freaks out about car seats and spent £100's on them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now