Talk

Advanced search

To not want my children to go back to school??

(21 Posts)
supadoula Tue 01-Sep-09 19:44:44

DD is 6 and DS is 4. DS will be starting reception in 2 days time and I really do not wish either of them to go to school. We had a great holiday together pottering around and just enjoying each day at a time.
I guess I find it hard to let them go because I have a stong desire for a baby number 3 that has not materialised yet. Also my professional working plans are... rather unfocused...
Anyway, just wanted to know if there were any other mums out there feeling like me or am I just a mother who has lost her ego on the way and should be looking forward to a lot more "me time". grin

Glitterknickaz Tue 01-Sep-09 19:46:07

YANBU.
Despite my initial reservations about the six week break I've loved it. No strict time commitments, it's been mostly lovely having them home.

supadoula Tue 01-Sep-09 19:56:20

Glad I found someone feeling like me! Most people I meet in RL just can't wait to get their kids back to school!

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 01-Sep-09 19:56:31

I have very mixed feelings about it.

Ds starts a new school tomorrow and dd starts reception on Thursday.

I've had some days during the hols where I would have paid someone to take them both away for a long time grin. Yet today (our last full day of holiday), they were lovely and we had a wonderful time.

Dd has been so excited about starting school and I feel a bit guilty to have been looking forward to it too.

Now it is actually upon us, I think I shall have to try really hard to be upbeat on Thursday when I drop her off sad

I was watching her today and thinking that she is still only a baby really.

Ds is starting a completely new school, so it will be a case of getting to know a whole new set of rules and working out a new routine each day.

This time next week, I hope to be in the swing of things and enjoying some 'me' time for the first time in nearly 8 years!

supadoula Tue 01-Sep-09 20:01:35

Hey, desperatehousewifeToo, I guess it's not always all black and white!
My DS is a summer baby so will be the youngest in reception and I just don't know how he will take to it.
Why does it feel so much like the end of an era? I should be looking forward to my children moving on! wink

MANATEEequineOHARA Tue 01-Sep-09 20:07:54

I feel the same! I feel like giving up everything and home educating!

Oxymoronic Tue 01-Sep-09 20:09:14

I panic at the thought of having to entertain for 6 wks, but every time it's over I don't want DD to go back either sad I'm sure I'll get over it about an hour into her going back grin

Snowstorm Tue 01-Sep-09 20:10:50

I'm with Oxymoronic grin

2girls2love Tue 01-Sep-09 20:18:42

oh supadoula I'm with you on this, not only is DD1 going back to school but DD2 will be starting nursery as am going back to work in 3 weeks - no longer on maternity leave and I also harbouring wishes for no 3 but it's not going to happen (sob). There have been days when I could've screamed but I don't want it to end.

Flyonthewindscreen Tue 01-Sep-09 20:22:10

YANBU although this is the first September I've felt sad about the DC going back to school. I think its a combination of DS going into Yr 3 (juniors shock how did he get to be that old) and DD going into Yr 1 (her 2nd year of full time school and I'm still a SAHM and panicing now about how unacceptable that is)...

theDMplagiarisedLeonie Tue 01-Sep-09 20:30:00

Message withdrawn

unluckyfriedkitten Tue 01-Sep-09 20:32:03

YANBU. You know you don't have to send them wink

I never lost that feeling and so our son will not be starting school next week. Really looking forward to being 'officially' home educating and just enjoying him like we have for the past 5 years smile.

superduperminder Tue 01-Sep-09 20:34:21

YANBU

My DD starts reception on the 10th and I am so sad at the thought of it. Most people look at me like I am insane when I admit that. I just think that at 4 and a half she is too little to be at school 9-3.20 everyday and I'm going to miss her SO much.
I was chatting to an elderly neighbour about it the other day and she said "oh well you still have DS at home so you won't miss her" As if he replaces her not being there grrr

I am with you all the way...

angrypixie Tue 01-Sep-09 20:47:16

I'm sad too. Have loved the chilled out Summer weeks.

Chilimama Tue 01-Sep-09 21:14:26

YANBU

I feel the same, DD1 is starting reception and DD2 starts nursery next week. I can feel myself dreading it a bit more with each day that passes.

Neither of them can wait to start, they are so excited (ds going into yr 5 included). But I feel lost and don't know what I am going to do with myself all day

macherie Tue 01-Sep-09 21:23:14

YANBU, my three went back today after 9 weeks holiday, and the house was so quiet, I felt a bit lonely!

They had a lovely summer, despite the weather, it was great to be still in pyjamas at lunchtime somedays.

During term time I feel like such a nag,"have you eaten your breakfast?" "Put on your shoes". blah, blah, blah. I hate that.

Still they seemed to have a good day, and this time next week the holidays will be a blurry memory.

hmc Tue 01-Sep-09 22:37:55

YANBU - but I can't personally relate!

I've certainly enjoyed the summer holidays, but there are 'things' I want to get on with which I just can't when my 5 and 7 year old are off school.

pinkteddy Tue 01-Sep-09 22:43:06

Glad I've found this thread, I can't believe the holidays are over already. I've really enjoyed this time with dd, we've packed so much in and we've really been a little team. Dreading her going back, I was just saying to her on Sunday how much I'd enjoyed the holidays with her and 'slipping through my fingers' came on the radio, next thing I was in floods - pathetic!!

deckchair Tue 01-Sep-09 22:44:31

YANBU!!

DD starts reception tomorrow and we have had a lovely day - even when we got caught in the rain.
Felt very sad when she said to me "can we make some buns tomorrow when ds is in bed?"

Am sure she will be fine and I will hold back my tears.

trefusis Tue 01-Sep-09 22:49:01

Message withdrawn

hmc Tue 01-Sep-09 22:52:04

OMG - am going to have to start a "Relieved that they are going back to school - but still really really love them" thread to make me feel better wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now