Talk

Advanced search

to think that my DH should not be treated like S*** at work and there should be a union??

(9 Posts)
TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Tue 01-Sep-09 14:49:28

DH is treated terribly at work. They say there is no union, though it is a big company so I don't see why not. He's just tried to come home as he had a tooth out yesterday and it is infected so he is in agony. The boss said 'no, you've just had 3 days off'- these were the three days he was rota'd to be off so that they didn't have to pay him to work bank holiday Monday. He's on minimum wage for God's sake and they just take the piss. I have another thread about them ringing him out of hours etc.

So if there's no union what is he meant to do?

mosschops30 Tue 01-Sep-09 14:52:26

AFAIK a union is not something thats supplied by your employer, its something you join voluntarily and pay for the privelidge.

I am in one, although being a healthcare worker we have a choice of many.

What type of employment is your DH in? Surely there is a relevant union out there for him

Callisto Tue 01-Sep-09 14:52:49

Take it up with more senior management? Get another job and tell them to stuff it?

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Tue 01-Sep-09 14:55:40

I pay monthly for my union, but it's through my employer as it goes out of my wage IYSWIM. I'm a bit clueless but I'm sick of his manager getting away with things he says to him, it's not ok.

Unfortunately jobs are hard to come by round here at the moment- though he is actively searching.

said Tue 01-Sep-09 14:58:28

Have a look here He's entitled to join a Union.

JemL Tue 01-Sep-09 14:59:58

Big companies don't like unions, I worked for a large company which set up something called a "Law Club" it was loads cheaper than union subs, so everyone came out of that and into this crappy law club thing which was really no more than a helpline for emplyment issues - no-one who would take things up for you.

My dad works at the docks where there is 100% union membership and a very strong on site presence, and the senior managers hate it.

I don't have much practical advice but just wanted to sympathise as my DH is treated like crap too - we are having a huge problem at the moment with his hours being reduced - he can't leave at the moment either, as DC2 is due in a few weeks, and he needs to at least stay for his paternity leave!

There probably is a relevent union for his profession, but I think having the on-site presence of a rep makes a much bigger difference than someone who is not physically there and might be corresponding only through letters, etc..

In the situation your DH is in at the moment though, he should just say, "I'm going home sick" - there is nothing they can do if he has a genuine reason not to be there, and a gum infection is serious; he needs to see someone.

wishingchair Tue 01-Sep-09 15:13:50

Anyone is entitled to join a union but the company doesn't have to recognise it.

If he is sick, he should go home, make an appointment with the doctor and get a sick note (just to be on safe side). They can't sack him for being ill, but repeated sickness absence for non-specific things (cold, tummy bug, etc) will not be viewed positively by the company.

I worked for a big company and had a great relationship with our union so not true all big companies don't like unions. Depends on the attitude of the union as much as the company.

In the absence of a union, remember there is the Citizens Advice Bureau who can advise and help with all sorts of issues.

madameDefarge Tue 01-Sep-09 15:17:31

And ACAS

said Tue 01-Sep-09 15:21:08

wishingchair - when you say that the company don't have to recognise union membership, how do you mean? If the union gives you legal advice about an issue the company must recognise that surely? Sorry, just not clear what it is they would not be recognising?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now