Talk

Advanced search

to delete all rude freecycle requests on opening?

(25 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Tue 01-Sep-09 12:48:41

having a big clearout prior to redecorating and have put a lot of crap stuff on freecycle. why is it that people think its ok to email someone with "i want your curtins, email bak (sic)"

i refuse to offer to people who are unable to exercise basic good manners!

LadyPinkofPinkerton Tue 01-Sep-09 12:51:26

YANBU, I saw something on Freecycle I wanted yesterday and wrote an email that included please and thank you and the reason why I would like the item.

I like to think this is why I got the item.

monkeypinkmonkey Tue 01-Sep-09 12:51:55

YANBU. I had this the other day I was getting rid of some stuff and got ''call me on xxxxx'' I deleted!

bran Tue 01-Sep-09 12:53:30

That's fine IMO. I usually put a little thing at the bottom saying that I won't make a decision for 24 hrs too (it allows for people who have limited internet access to see it).

I make allowances for spelling despite being a bit of a pedant, but rudeness definitely rules them out.

bran Tue 01-Sep-09 12:54:23

Sorry, I meant it's fine for you to delete, yanbu, not it's fine for them to be rude.

PrammyMammy Tue 01-Sep-09 12:56:38

yanbu.
I cleared out ds room last week as we are moving soon and offered LOTS of toys and clothes. We had so many replies of 'i'll have this' and ' yes - call me' I was :O and waited till i got a nice reply before i passed stuff on.
Someone even asked me if they could come view and see what they wanted, even though i had described everything with the proper name and described them well.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 01-Sep-09 12:57:14

bran, wish I had done that. am annoyed with myself for offering a aquadraw mat to 1st email, have since had really lovely polite email asking for it because her children will love it and are obsessed with Thomas.

ladypink, probably. i too always write little note on requests.

monkey, shock do these people really think you will jump to the phone?

nickelbabe Tue 01-Sep-09 12:58:13

it's just ettiquette, isn't it! YANBU. it's ridiculous that people think they can just go "i'll have it" without being nice or polite.
delete them and blow them a raspberry while you do it!

Firawla Tue 01-Sep-09 13:00:34

Yanbu, seems better to say you will decide within 24 hours and select the polite ones.
Even if you said you will give to 1st email,if they are rude you don't have to, how will they know they really got in first? You don't owe it to them

CMOTdibbler Tue 01-Sep-09 13:03:04

I've been having a clearout too, and got annoyed with rude emails saying 'call me on xxx so I can pickup'

You get to choose who you like on Freecycle, so you can use whatever criteria you want to imo

NeedCoffee Tue 01-Sep-09 13:05:32

oh you are so NOT BU, I hate it when I only get one reply and they're rude...I feel like taking it to the tip rather than letting them have it!

Sidge Tue 01-Sep-09 13:25:05

I now put in my offered posts that I will not phone people, stuff must be collected (I'd had a few people asking me to drop stuff round to them!) and that I will reply 24 hours after posting.

That seems to weed out the people that ping off an automated reply to all Freecycle offereds with "I want your stuff call me".

BouncingTurtle Tue 01-Sep-09 13:41:43

Yes I do the same. I delete any replies that don't say please or thank you, or say call me on xxxx, or are just composed of text speak.

And I can tell the difference between someone using text speak and someone who has a genuine difficulty with grammar/spelling.

MadreInglese Tue 01-Sep-09 13:46:26

YANBU, I'm still surprised at the rudeness of some freecyclers

On offering quite an expensive item once I got the reply -

"I'll take this.

Jo 07898 XXXXXX"

Um, no you won't love hmm

Saucepanman Tue 01-Sep-09 13:54:49

Ooh a freecycle thread- I put my first offer on yesterday and have been waiting for a chance to compare notes grin

I don't think a lot of people read the posts- which would explain why I had upwards of 20 emails asking for the stuff I was giving (children's clothes) AFTER I had posted they were taken. I didn't think about waiting 24 hrs- although the people I gave them to were nice anyway. I did have one asking if I could drop them off for her a half an hour's drive away- er no!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 01-Sep-09 13:57:30

YANBU. My local freecycle is quite good, unlike some I have heard of, but I still find it hard to understand what people are thinking sometimes. This was an actual 'wanted' on mine today-

Wanted - church pew style storage (otherwise known as a settle?) Pine or Oak
preferably but not essential.

Umm..yes, I have one of those hanging around hmm. Sometimes I just think, if you want something so specific, you are just going to have to suck it up and buy one! I only ever post wanteds for things like baby stuff, a phone charger, stuff people are likely to have hanging around that they don't need. It's not father christmas's lap hmm

stealthsquiggle Tue 01-Sep-09 13:58:22

The lovely freecycler who made DS's year by giving us a piano had another responder who she was avoiding because he was being so pushy. I am always grovellingly polite when responding to offers - after all, people are giving you stuff! I also delete rude or brusque emails when offering stuff, but try to see through grammar and spelling (our old TV went to a really nice Polish couple and their email was not great, but it was very polite)

YANBU. At all whatsoever.

Stayingsunnygirl Tue 01-Sep-09 14:05:56

I can beat the 'Wanted church pew...' post, kat - on my local freecycle a few weeks back, a man was asking for a jetski!! shock

PeedOffWithNits Tue 01-Sep-09 14:06:34

actually Kat, you can get some very specific stuff offered in response to requests, as some peple don't just post all their unwanted stuff on there for fear of greedy grabbing people out to make a buck by selling stuff on

they would rather give away an expensive item to someone who comes on explaining how/why they need it first

and someone might be gutting a church somewhere and have just what they want (friends of mine got a piano, tables and 2 long pews for free when a local church was closed and gutted - they would otherwise have gone to the tip in a skip!)

BUT i do hate the ones like "I need a Buggy for my DS for the school run, prefer X expensive brand" - er, either you NEED one or you don't! I accepted a PINK one for my son FGS (and it has done him no harm! LOL)

PeedOffWithNits Tue 01-Sep-09 14:07:30

LOL at jetski!!

ginormoboobs Tue 01-Sep-09 14:18:17

YANBU
I also remember seeing the wanted ad for a jetski.
There is a lady who replies to every ad I post. She even sent me a message asking "what is a henna . I will have it call xxxxxx" I told what henna is and she said "don't want that. What's the point in that it takes ages." Gave me a laugh grin
I have a wanted ad at the moment asking for a child bike trailer or seat. I feel so cheeky asking for it I give away loads so I don't feel too bad blush

Meglet Tue 01-Sep-09 14:21:54

YANBU. Even thinking about rude freecylers makes my blood boil.

Our best local one was someone wanting a new african grey parrot as hers had just died and the kids were upset. From then on I never let her have any of my stuff [petty emoticon].

DesperateHousewifeToo Tue 01-Sep-09 14:34:16

We had someone asking for a ferrari a few years ago..preferrably red!

Was very funny. It made me realise that the mods must have had a sense of humourgrin

CMOTdibbler Tue 01-Sep-09 14:57:41

I've just noticed the change in season on ours too - we have gone from trailers, caravans and camping stuff to tumble driers

KatyS36 Tue 01-Sep-09 15:04:24

Ours is generally fine compared to some of the above.

I don't generally get wound up though, just feel satisfied at giving stuff to the nice people.

I actually end up feeling sorry for people who can't work out how to get stuff for free, especially as we have given away some stuff that we probably could sell but were too busy/lazy to do so.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: