Talk

Advanced search

to get a dog with a 14 month old?

(22 Posts)
mummy2isla Mon 31-Aug-09 22:43:40

Our daughter is 14 months old. She loves dogs. We have a cat who she adores and is really friendly to. My husband and I have both had dogs before ... looking at getting the most child-friendly one possible. Or is this a dreadful idea for both dd and dog?! Can't decide - really want a dog now but am a bit concerned!

Silver1 Mon 31-Aug-09 22:46:44

We have a dog- it's the reason our 15 month old gets up in the morning! I kid you not. If he's kicking off, he'll often calm down if you call the dog.
Very patient dog, worth his weight in gold to this family.
I say dog though, I could not have done puppy and toddler!

mummy2isla Mon 31-Aug-09 22:54:50

What kind of dog do you have?

dingdong3 Mon 31-Aug-09 22:55:40

Would recommend you wait till she's older. We got one when my son was 2 and ended up re-homing the dog after 6 months, something I found heartbreaking to have to do, even though it went to a good home.
My son was overwhelmed by the puppy's enthusiasm, I was worn out keeping both of them entertained and exercised and it was quite stressful ensuring DS didn't accidentally stand in poo in the garden.
You are probably more relaxed than I am about pets in the house, given you have a cat, but I found myself constantly hoovering up the hairs and dirt.
I should point out, this dog was not our first...we had always had dogs until DS was 9 weeks old when our cavalier got killed on the road. We held off getting another until DS was older but I now realise I should have waited longer. Have read that the best age to get a dog for your children is aged 6/7.
Good luck whatever you do - I would recommend a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel as a great option for kids - really gently dogs, some health considerations to take into account when they get older but out of all the breeds we have had, they are the best all-rounder for a family.

ClaudiaSchiffer Mon 31-Aug-09 23:41:31

We got a beagle puppy when dd was almost 2 and I was pregnant with dd2. Dh is a really 'doggy' person and has always had dogs. I, however, thought they are rather nasty smelly objects who bark and generally shed hair and add to lifes woes.

Anywayyy, we got one - very cute pup - and it was a farking nightmare for about 6 months. I had no experience with puppys - they are so demanding! [naive fool emoticon] so dealing with a toddle, a puppy and a newborn was eventful to say the least.

However 2 yrs on our dog is a much loved member of the family and although I do rather wish we had waiting - my memories of chasing the pup who had ripped the washing off the line and was merrily galumphing down the garden whilst tending to 2 small children is still vividly imprinted on my mind - I would recommend a dog as an addition to the family. The kids love him and he is gentle and sweet and protective of them.

I would think about it carefully - and not have a newborn at the same time as the puppy arrives grin. But as you are more experienced than I was i would say no reason not to go for it if you can handle the extra work.

Silver1 Mon 31-Aug-09 23:49:59

We have a Labradoodle. He has all of the temprament of a patient old lab.
If you get a puppy some people train them to poop in certain spots or on a walk- but we just go through the garden a couple of times a day. Maybe take her to a shelter for a look. I don't know where you are but Battersea Windsor may have what you are looking for.

Imarchietheinventor Tue 01-Sep-09 10:30:15

We got our puppy when our youngest was 18mths. Was very very hard work at first, and expensive but he is a very loved member of the family and is a great companion for the family

Yes he does stink but that's what dogs do. He doesn't bark, doesn't growl, doesn't get narky with the kids and they hang off him all the time. When we are out walking he always walks with the child in the front and almost herds them back so they don't go too far. He doesn't shed any hair but is always dirty, so often has to go to the doggy salon!!

He is a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

TheChilliMooseisOmnipotent Tue 01-Sep-09 10:35:10

We had a dog when DS was born but sadly she was put down when DS was 10 months old (she was old). We got another when DS was 16 months old. DS adores the dog but sometimes the dog is not so impressed with DS. He is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. (and before people start shouting about dangerous dogs, they are never alone together).

SouthMum Tue 01-Sep-09 10:48:26

The only thing for you to think about IMO is can you deal with a dog and a kid? If the answer is yes then go for it.

Chilli - bit off topic but why is it that us staffie owners feel the need to defend ourselves when we mention we have a kid aswell when the reality is staffies can be the best dogs to have with a kid? My staffie loves DS and the only reason I don't leave them alone is I worry more about the dog getting hurt!!

flowerybeanbag Tue 01-Sep-09 10:59:32

If you are thinking about a puppy, they are very hard work and need lots of attention especially to begin with. For that reason I'd probably wait a bit until your DD is a bit older.

Would agree that Cavaliers are marvellous family dogs - we got one a year before DS arrived, after a vet confirmed they were a good bet with children. He is so tolerant of small children it's unbelievable. Pics on my profile.

diddl Tue 01-Sep-09 12:16:06

It´s hard work-even with a dog rather than a puppy!
But TBH, I might be more concerned about getting a dog when you already have a cat!

hercules1 Tue 01-Sep-09 12:20:35

It is hard work but we did it and dd has grown up with ours. It's fab.

hercules1 Tue 01-Sep-09 12:21:02

Dd is nearly 6 now and I will leave them alone together now.

claw3 Tue 01-Sep-09 12:25:42

Dog was already here before my son was born, he is 5 now and they are best of friends. Only problem i had was ds trying to pull himself up on the dog to walk.

I also had 3 cats before we introduced the dog and they all get along fine.

Wouldnt recommend a puppy though.

mummy2isla Tue 01-Sep-09 20:19:27

Hmmmm... went to see a bichon frise and a cavalier puppy today both sooo cute fell in love with the cavalier. But am having serious doubts still about what happens when I have to go back to work! (if I manage to get another job!) and also about how busy my toddler is. Had a big chat with my mum who is a big doggy person (ahem, mean she likes dogs a lot!!) and thinking perhaps leave it for six months. Although I keep on having happy little thoughts of the cavalier king charles spaniel.

mathanxiety Tue 01-Sep-09 20:22:41

Do you like poo and wiping up accidents that much?

mummy2isla Tue 01-Sep-09 20:25:19

Hey. I am used to poo and accidents, they don't bother me! I am just worried about controlling looking after a toddler and a puppy at the same time. And a bit in general as although I grew up with dogs not had one for a long time.

Can I just clarify the poo and accidents are from dd not me / dh...grin

PrammyMammy Tue 01-Sep-09 20:40:08

We have a cavalier king charles spaniel who is 18 months old and our ds is 21 months old. We didn't plan to her when we did but she had been rescued from Ireland by an elderly couple who couldn't look after her but took her to get her out of the mess she was in. She was 12 weeks old when we got her and was already 90% toilet trained, and she has always acted like a more mature dog. She adores my ds who LOVES her to pieces. I have experience with other breeds but have to say she has been the best behaved and easiest. I would really recommend this breed if you do decide. There is a photo of her on my profile.

ocdgirl Wed 02-Sep-09 10:47:46

my cavalier sadly died when ds was about 2 and our other dog was lonely so we went and got another one, we got an older bitch (she was 4) as no way could i cope with a puppy and a toddler ! anyhow the cavalier is fantastic my ds can do anything to her and she doesn't even flinch (although i obviously do not allow him to hurt her or pull her about too much) they are a fantastic breed so loving and will happily sleep all day or go on very long walks (we've had full days at the woods and she loves it) so i too would really recommend this breeed for any one with small children as they are just so easy and loving

mummy2isla Wed 02-Sep-09 10:53:14

argh am totally torn!!! Thinking yes at the moment (despite my mum's talking-to last night). Need to let the lady know today. [eek emoticon!!]

bumpsoon Wed 02-Sep-09 12:09:59

i got a rescue dog when my dd was little ,so didnt have to go through the puppy stage ,although they both still trashed the house grin

mummy2isla Wed 02-Sep-09 19:27:27

have decided to be sensible and wait a couple of years. Thanks for advice everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now