Talk

Advanced search

to buy more expensive puddings when tesco value ones have identical ingredients?

(21 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 31-Aug-09 22:42:38

DH is doing ramadan and loves creme caramels for breakfast. I don't even like the things. I still bought the tesco normal ones for 65p when the value ones at 45p were identical. The only difference looked like a bit less colouring and cheaper packaging. He would buy the value ones so there was no reason not to, but I couldn't. Am I an unreasonable food snob?

Should say I do buy value things like tinned tomatoes and basic ingredients, but something like puddings I can't.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 31-Aug-09 22:45:31

yabu

but only cos you shouldn't be shopping at Tesco grin

<even more of a snob emoticon>

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 31-Aug-09 22:49:34

Hahaha I'm usually an asda or aldi girl actually, is that better or worse? (no waitrose or marks and spencer in my part of town, it's not very posh!)

morocco Mon 31-Aug-09 22:51:32

bleugh to asda creme caramels. we're experts in this family and no yanbu to get expensive creme caramels - it's worth paying a bit extra smile.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 31-Aug-09 22:59:47

I would buy the proper nice ones except he can inhale 2 or three in one go and the philistine wouldn't appreciate it grin

morocco Mon 31-Aug-09 23:02:24

it's hardly splashing out though is it now grin

i like to spoil dh lol - only the best creme caramels. nothing else mind smile

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 31-Aug-09 23:04:24

YABU and a snob. Basics/Value are often better than 'better' branded products. Just read the ingredients. The supermarkets rely on you being a snob to maintain their sales of their other lines.

morocco Mon 31-Aug-09 23:06:44

I defy you eat asda creme caramels and maintain that opinion 'becauseimworthit'

Katisha Mon 31-Aug-09 23:06:56

As a habitual Tesco user I have recently crossed the road to Aldi and discovered that some of their frozen puddings are extremely superior.
I just can't work out why they also sell wetsuits and carseats on an ad hoc basis.

Firawla Mon 31-Aug-09 23:08:25

yanbu if you don't miss the extra 20p then it doesn't really matter, and you have contributed it to the economy so don't feel too bad, it will have gone somewhere not like you chucked it in the bin. i think they say in a recession economy people who can afford to spend should do so because it helps? so fits into that

BecauseImWorthIt Mon 31-Aug-09 23:08:51

Well, morocco, I wouldn't buy anyone's prepared creme caramels if you paid me anyway!!!

But I do buy a fair amount of Sainsbury BAsics, and I'm really impressed not only with the ingredients that you use (and the ones that they don't use) as well as what they taste like.

morocco Mon 31-Aug-09 23:09:47

oooh yes, aldi do some fine puddings. lidl do great biscuits too

morocco Mon 31-Aug-09 23:12:13

yep, don't mind the sainsbury's ones too much. lolol at not eating prepared creme caramels. my kids are philestines. i've tried making them at home but apparently they are rubbish - obv not enough sugar grin. maybe that makes the asda ones the closest to home made,now I think about it. still - I like my homemade creme caramels and still think asdas are bleurghh - how it is possible to mess up such a simple pudding is beyond me though

mumeeee Mon 31-Aug-09 23:15:49

YABU

sushistar Mon 31-Aug-09 23:19:15

I love value ranges, they often have LESS freaky ingredients,

Keep your hard earned cash, buy the value ones, and after a decade you will be able to afford a creme caramel at a posh restaraunt! grin

oneopinionatedmother Mon 31-Aug-09 23:26:13

value bran flakes have exactly the same break down and taste as normal..so YABU (or at least, there is no reason to prefer merealy on the basis of the packaging)

basics dark chocolate rocks too.

some of them really are very good - the basics torillas only contain maize, oil & salt.

applepudding Mon 31-Aug-09 23:29:40

I wouldn't think you were being unreasonable if you knew that your DP would prefer the more expensive ones - but if you know he would have bough the cheaper ones himself you are wasting your money!

I tend to buy more up-market versions of things for myself or the whole family but if I was getting something just for DH I would buy the cheaper version as that is what he would normally go for.

Corporalcornsilk Mon 31-Aug-09 23:30:56

tesco value creme caramels are actually nicer than the other ones. Trust me - I'm an expert on this.

sushistar Mon 31-Aug-09 23:31:03

Apparently lots of products are made in the SAME FACTORIES that make the more expensive versions. Especially biscuits, I heard.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 31-Aug-09 23:51:24

Right. Value ones it is from now on. I am silly I know It's only 20p difference but we are hardly rolling in it.

Corporalcornsilk Mon 31-Aug-09 23:53:28

sainsburys value ones are also nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now