Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that my friend has bought a trampoline without an enclosure?

(75 Posts)
tinkywinkysgirl Sun 30-Aug-09 17:43:16

and cost isn't an issue, before you ask.

mmrsceptic Sun 30-Aug-09 17:44:36

yes, it's her trampoline, she can buy what she wants

feedthegoat Sun 30-Aug-09 17:45:30

I don't like trampolines without enclosures personally but I can't honestly see what it has got to do with you if it is your friends purchase.

dizzymare Sun 30-Aug-09 17:45:58

YABU, it's up to her what she does with her money

lollyheart Sun 30-Aug-09 17:46:09

hmm yabu she can buy what she wants.

OrmIrian Sun 30-Aug-09 17:47:04

Good thing you're not my friend then hmm. I have one without the net and I'd hate to think I'd annoyed you.

IotasCat Sun 30-Aug-09 17:47:17

We don't have an enclosure either but a strict one at a time rule.

Most accidents are caused by more than one child on the trampoline at the same time

southeastastra Sun 30-Aug-09 17:48:09

is it one of those tiny ones with a handle on them

violethill Sun 30-Aug-09 17:51:14

Are you worried her kids might catapult over your fence into your flower beds or somethng?

Cos otherwise I cannot understand why you're remotely interested hmm

Milliways Sun 30-Aug-09 17:51:40

A lot of accidents happen on trampolines with enclosures as parents think they can just leave the kids to it.

We have had ours for years sans enclosure, as long as it is big enough for them to bounce around on and there are supervising adults.

Northernlurker Sun 30-Aug-09 17:52:40

It's up to her what she buys and it's up to you what you let your children do. If you don't want them to be on it then you'll just have to suck it up and say so. You may think an enclosure is a good idea but it's not obligatory. I actually think it's a good idea to teach kids to be responsible for their own safety when playing. They need to do riskier stuff and learn how to pull back from that. Your job as a parent is to catch them - literally and metaphorically - not remove the risk altogether.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 30-Aug-09 17:54:21

Why are you annoyed?

For her kids - her choice and she will have to live with it if they are hurt.

For your kids - don't let them on.

tinkywinkysgirl Sun 30-Aug-09 18:18:45

when i say annoyed, i don't mean, have an arguement or anything. just irritating,that i can no longer relax at her house unless its pouring with rain

Mumcentreplus Sun 30-Aug-09 18:22:01

it annoys you how exactly?

diddl Sun 30-Aug-09 18:23:50

Then make sure you only visit in the rain!

Northernlurker Sun 30-Aug-09 18:24:50

Oh come on - either you let your kids on it and trust them to be safe or you tell them not to even ask. Either way there's no reason to winge about something that is her decision for HER children.

ilovesprouts Sun 30-Aug-09 18:25:04

yabu its up to her what she buys ,if you dont like it dont let your dcs on it then

slowreadingprogress Sun 30-Aug-09 18:32:42

I understand where you're coming from, and I think you just have to tell your children that they don't go on it, and tell her - simple as that.

Don't give it headspace getting irritated - you just deal with it, end of story! You're allowed to have your view on whether your kids go on or not, just like she is entitled to be lax think differently re safety!

tinkywinkysgirl Sun 30-Aug-09 19:36:10

thanks slowreader for seeming to understand where i'm coming from. obviously she can buy what she likes, but i don't get why you would get a trampoline without a net unless you're not fussed about your kids getting injured.

piscesmoon Sun 30-Aug-09 19:38:37

YANBU-I don't think any DC should go on one without a net.

BubbaAndBump Sun 30-Aug-09 19:43:40

AIBU to be annoyed with my friend for buying a book we already have? wink

>>runs and hides from flippancy comments<<

lilackaty Sun 30-Aug-09 19:45:31

We used to have one with a net but it got so wrecked from the kids flinging themselves at it that when we moved we removed the net. It is now buried in the ground.
They will bounce more carefully on one without a net but you will need to supervise. fwiw, my dd fell off her friend's one with an enclosure - she fell through a tiny gap where it hadn't been done up properly.

katiestar Sun 30-Aug-09 19:49:02

Funnily enough for many years we never had any problems at all when we had no enclosure because the kids were very careful .Since we got one with an enclosure we have had 2 sprained ankles and 2 hurt backs.
In fact I've never personally heard of a child having an injury from falling off atrampoline - they all seem to happen by landing awkwardly or colliding with another person.

MrsBarbaraKingstanding Sun 30-Aug-09 19:51:23

'why you would get a trampoline without a net unless you're not fussed about your kids getting injured.'

Yeah I'm sure that's how your friend feelshmm. Nice.

nzshar Sun 30-Aug-09 19:51:51

I don't know where I stand on this really. Have a friend who got a trampoline with an enclosure and the children use the net to bounce off and gennerally are silly and rough on it. Another friend got one and is more lax,(depending on your view) has the nets but tends not to bother with them. Children on her trampoline are more cautious and respectful of the trampoline and those on it with them.
While I am a little more tense when ds is at more relaxed parents house no accidents have occured yet at the other house more rolling and jumping on one another is done and therefore more tears.
BTW childrens ages vary from 2 through to 11 with majority around 5 years old and mainly boys, if that makes any difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now