Talk

Advanced search

to be sick of washing up recycling!

(56 Posts)
macdoodle Sat 29-Aug-09 21:06:20

I hate washing up hence I have a dishwasher!
But all recycling has to be cleaned, we have alternate weeks collection (ie tins/cans one week, card/paper/plastic the next) so other than they wont take it unless its clean, I dont want to store manky cans and plastic bottles for 2 weeks!
It just seems to be multiplying and I always seem to be washing or rinsing cans or plastic bottles!
I totally know IABU but it drives me bonkers!

beatiebow Sat 29-Aug-09 21:08:10

I hate it too, especially when I cut my hand all the time on tin lids.

southeastastra Sat 29-Aug-09 21:09:49

i quite like doing it.

PrammyMammy Sat 29-Aug-09 21:10:15

It drives me crazy! Especially dog food - with the jelly spew.

macdoodle Sat 29-Aug-09 21:11:55

<<burk>> yes the cat food tins bleurgh, I just leave the hot water running in them, kinda defeats the purpose a bit grin

BitOfFun Sat 29-Aug-09 21:14:01

I agree about the petfood tins. Yuk. I don't rinse with hot water though, but it still feels like a palava and waste of water. Does anyone else peel the paper off?

Squishabelle Sat 29-Aug-09 21:21:28

Yes I peel the paper off but I agree it all seems just a waste of water to clean everything.

badgermonkey Sat 29-Aug-09 21:25:29

I peel the paper off tins and put them, and plastic pots, in the dishwasher. We tend to just take all our recycling to the tip every few months (you can't put glass or lots of other things in the blue bin) and it makes it less stinky while it's collecting.

purpleduck Sat 29-Aug-09 21:27:55

I just soak the dog food tins, and all the gunk comes out.

Its not hard to give everything a quick rinse is it...?

macdoodle Sat 29-Aug-09 21:29:56

Its not hard no but when I dont actually need to wash anything else its a royal pain.....our collectors are very finickity, they leave you a nasty stick on note for any variety of reasons not to take it!
TBH sometimes I just wonder why I bother shock

oldraver Sat 29-Aug-09 21:42:00

We had a guy from the council (well probably a student working for a survey company) to see if we rcycled and if there was any problems. i bought up the subject of all the water wasted washing the items and he assured me it was worth the effort. hmm

I'm sure I'm now using more water

jemart Sat 29-Aug-09 21:50:41

I confess - I don't always do it!
If its possible to get the job done with a quick rinse under the cold tap then fine but I refuse to make efforts to get my recyclable waste all sparkling. Seriously, I am paying the council to dispose of this stuff!

vjg13 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:55:52

Don't do really grim tins like pet food or tuna and I don't mind the others.

GirlsAreLoud Sat 29-Aug-09 21:57:08

I just bung them in the dishwasher, it's no extra effort or space.

Schrodinger Sat 29-Aug-09 21:58:51

ha, ours just take everything

Northernlurker Sat 29-Aug-09 21:59:55

I wash things if I can be bothered but if I can't then I PUT THEM IN THE BIN <<so there , rebellious non recycler emoticon>>

Dh is a fanatical devoted recycler and gets very annoyed if he opens the bin and sees them. grin

floatingonpinkcloud Sat 29-Aug-09 22:00:55

I had my blue bin the other day so i have all this to come. My first day was spent fishing things out that i had put in by accident. Oh well it is for a good cause i suppose.

ADriedFrogForTheBursar Sat 29-Aug-09 22:04:35

YABU. Our short sightedness about the future of this planet is astounding. I don't do enough - composting is next on my list but I do recycle everything I can.
Je-mart -'I'm paying the council...' that's a really good reason for not taking responsibility yourself hmm Imagine how much more it would cost if the council had to employ armies of people to wash up your recycling for you.

ADriedFrogForTheBursar Sat 29-Aug-09 22:06:36

Floating - 'a good cause' it's not a frickin charity donation, this is for our children's future!
Honestly I'm not an ardent greenie but this apathy and pathetic attitude moaning about a bit of washing up is just making me angry

macdoodle Sat 29-Aug-09 22:06:57

But surely they all go through some industrial washer/crusher thing before they can be recycled??

macdoodle Sat 29-Aug-09 22:08:16

grin at Frog
<<a light hearted attempt at a sat night thread guaranteed to start a bun fight hmm>>

Dustinthewind Sat 29-Aug-09 22:08:25

A fellow Terry Pratchett fan!

We wash up everything before putting it in the blue bin, but I was recycling waaaay back when it was a hippy thing to do and you had to cycle for miles to find a bottle bank.
And everyone else thought you were a nutter for bothering.

Dustinthewind Sat 29-Aug-09 22:12:37

Imagine the stench *vomiting emoticon*
And rats the size of labradors, flies in Biblical numbers.
The workers would need hazard pay.
You could write a bestseller horror about what would arisee from the toxic sludge.
I think I'll keep on washing up catfood tins, even though I'm veggie.

floatingonpinkcloud Sat 29-Aug-09 22:12:47

Hey give me chance to get used to the recycling i have only had for a few days and need to get to grips with it sorry i chose the wrong words!

Oh and i am recycling my old clothes as well, paper, cans bottles etc there is just so much to remember and where everything goes. But i am getting the kids involved.

Dustinthewind Sat 29-Aug-09 22:16:15

Be careful, depending on how old your children are, they can become the most judgy and uncompromising of all recyclers. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now