Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if dh had to be quite as brutal when cutting back the bushes in the garden?

(23 Posts)
emkana Sat 29-Aug-09 20:49:18

There's nothing left of them except a few stumps. He says that's how you do it. Is he right? They were massive before, it looks very sad now to just see those stumps.

HecatesTwopenceworth Sat 29-Aug-09 20:50:14

Stumps?

No. He's not right.

hope he hasn't removed all your privacy.

southeastastra Sat 29-Aug-09 20:50:32

grin hopefully they will grow back in spring

KristinaM Sat 29-Aug-09 20:52:20

she's right, give them a feed in the spring and they will grow again

but do the pruning yourself next time wink

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sat 29-Aug-09 20:57:44

I could have written your post!
DH decided to prune attack the garden yesterday. When I came home and he proudly showed me his work I wanted to cry.
My beautiful climbimg rose has been hacked to within an inch of its life and everything else looks so forlorn.
I know it will grow back (and the truth is it was all overgrown) but at the moment it looks very sad.

BubbaAndBump Sat 29-Aug-09 21:12:40

I'm guilty of going a bit shears-crazy when I get the opportunity. MOST of the time things (that's how green fingered I'm not - I don't even call them plants shock ) grow back, sometimes with a vengeance, but it gives me a good opportunity to go and attack it all again grin grin

Milliways Sat 29-Aug-09 21:16:40

Obviously a man thing! I can't bear to let DH loose in our garden with the loppers/strimmer/trimmers etc. He is brutal!

ihearthuckabees Sat 29-Aug-09 21:24:10

I feel your pain! My DH is the same.

BubbaAndBump Sat 29-Aug-09 21:27:03

shock and blush at Milliways. I'm not a man. hmm

mummylin2495 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:27:12

My dh is the same ,i dont even like him mowing the lawn as if there is a flower bent over on to it ,he simply chops it off.he also last season pulled all my dahlias up,and my two new alstrameria plants ,he is useless in the garden.

julienoshoes Sat 29-Aug-09 21:31:44

LOL
Adore my dh after 30 years but have told him if he ever touches the lilac tree again, I'll divorce him!

SlartyBartFast Sat 29-Aug-09 21:35:04

i pruned a huge plant hiding my front door, i loved it,
i hate it now! so bare and ugly shock
i got carried away blush

BubbaAndBump Sat 29-Aug-09 21:36:04

Is there no-one else out there (female!) who's with me on this one? It's therapeutic and highly satisfying to just go snip-snap happy?

SlartyBartFast Sat 29-Aug-09 21:36:57

it is very therapeutic, i love it, just the after effects are so shocking grin

BubbaAndBump Sat 29-Aug-09 21:41:31

Hurrah for Slarty You can always blame your DH when friends / DC's parents come round, and hopefully he'll be too manly to own up to you doing it [runs and hides from the onslaught of ^aren't you sexist blahdiblah^ ;)

SlartyBartFast Sat 29-Aug-09 21:42:53

good idea bubba grin

unluckyfriedkitten Sat 29-Aug-09 21:55:10

Depends on what type of bush they are. Some you need to hack right back or they end up taking over, others need a careful prune.

What are they?

Tinfoil Sat 29-Aug-09 22:01:52

It depends what the plants are. You'll know next year whether they have a new lease of life!

Milliways Sat 29-Aug-09 22:02:04

Oops, Sorry Bubba! blush

grin

BubbaAndBump Sat 29-Aug-09 22:11:23

'salright grin

Pity you apologised, I was sharpening my shears and heading to your garden laughing manically ;)

Northernlurker Sat 29-Aug-09 22:32:18

They will grow back but much sympathy. Dh did this in our garden a couple of times and is now only allowed supervised access to the shears. I'd sooner let my two year old wield them than him!

MamaGoblin Sat 29-Aug-09 22:35:25

DH is the same. He generally waits until I'm out before unleashing his wrath on the poor shrubbery. He's never cutting DS's hair, that's for certain!

Last time he mowed the grass, he ran over the only stuff still flowering, and also decapitated my pumpkin vine. <wails>

Ninks Sat 29-Aug-09 22:44:18

I was wondering about this. Next door's Son-in-law from Gambia dug up our front lawn and put stones down 'cos we are lazy. Did a lovely job.

We asked him to come and tidy up the back, mow the lawn and prune and he was here for two hours! Butterfly shrub looks like a tree after an Australian bushfire and my flowering lavender is a tiny spiky stump.

New ones will come apparently.

It's shame as I was going to give him a tenner for the grass but he worked for so long I felt I had to pay twenty and I can't afford that every week. Will be braving the lawnmower myself tomorrow. It can't be that hard - DH can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now