Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why babies always have to get ill on a weekend?

(14 Posts)
WidowWadman Sat 29-Aug-09 20:20:03

I'm sure it's nothing major and will be alright with Calpol and Cuddles, but I still don't like it, especially as I'm never sure when it's neccessary to ring the GP, I feel even weirder about it when it's out of hours.

Poor little baby.

famishedass Sat 29-Aug-09 21:25:20

how's the baby now? Did you give her calpol?

Fanjita Sat 29-Aug-09 21:53:03

My DS (3.4yrs) does this, weekends, Christmas, bank holidays! If in doubt ring up your out of hours GP and they will probably tell you of a clinic open in your area that you can get to if needs be. Hope your baby perks up soon.

WidowWadman Sun 30-Aug-09 12:13:00

She's still having a temperature, had her checked over last night, because it didn't really drop, and as I suspected it's just one of these viral colds. I'm now giving her calpol alternating with Nurofen. She was grotty all night and in the morning, but seems to be happier now.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 30-Aug-09 12:23:28

We were just saying this very thing last night, after deciding to call out of hours gp for DD who has croup. She was fine all day and developed fever in the evening!

Glad she is feeling better now, I really don't think gp's mind visiting babies over the weekend, even just for reassurance. They can be so unpredictable.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sun 30-Aug-09 12:57:28

its uncanny how they know. dd had a cluster of seizures last night. New type I've never seen before (she's been seizure free for months). No point going to A&E cos they know bugger all but will have to wait till Tuesday to call her neuro.
And, if they get a rash, it vanishes whena doctor hoves into view.

WidowWadman Sun 30-Aug-09 13:39:36

Oh dear, seizures sound scary.

I think the GP didn't mind and didn't make me feel like I was just being hysterical, but said it' always better to bring a young child in.

I also guess, a cute baby probably is nicer to examine than the average friday night drunkard...

loobylu3 Sun 30-Aug-09 14:03:42

Widow- was going to add that the GP will always prefer to see a small baby with a temperature so you shouldn't feel guilty at all but noticed your last post!

katiestar Sun 30-Aug-09 20:24:43

Well at least you can get to see a GP if you need to.
Poor DH is in excrutiating pain with a dental abcess and can't be seen til Tuesday.
He is talking seriously about a DIY extraction !

WidowWadman Sun 30-Aug-09 20:28:53

Oh dear. If it's an abscess the dentist won't be able to do anything until the infection has gone down a bit, usually by use of antibiotics. I think it might be worth trying to get a prescription from the GP.

katiestar Sun 30-Aug-09 21:25:21

Already tried WW and said he couldn't because he wasn't trained in dentistry

jasper Sun 30-Aug-09 21:50:55

so true!

loobylu3 Mon 31-Aug-09 10:00:45

katie- ask your GP to please give your DH some (strong) painkillers and antibiotics until he can see the dentist! They can definitely prescribe these and this is what usually happens as dentists tend to be fairly unavailable outside 9-5 hours. Don't let your poor DH suffer in silence!

katiestar Mon 31-Aug-09 12:22:45

Thanks so much for your helpful comments.
DH found some trimethoprim (which I had started for a UTI but then had to switch to another type so half a packet left over.)and he also had some whisky as an anaesthetic (unwanted xmas present!)
I rang NHS direct and when they eventually phoned back last night they said that whilst they couldn't recommend taking prescription drugs for somebody else , hypothetically they might well do the job and they also made him an appointment for first thing this (Bank holiday monday !)morning.
He has been to the dentist and despite only having had 2 or the antibiotics ,the infection has gone down enough for her to put a filling in later on today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now