Talk

Advanced search

To wonder who it is who can afford to pay £69 for a pair of childrens trousers?

(55 Posts)
dilemma456 Sat 29-Aug-09 18:08:40

Message withdrawn

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sat 29-Aug-09 18:16:21

bloody hell. I just got dd black leggings for school for £3. They will be gorwn out of within a short while.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 18:17:40

when i was a tr colleg doin socisolgy so,eone said we need to have people who ware owrser lff in tne ors.r

or something like that

catinthehat2 Sat 29-Aug-09 18:22:39

FBGIB - can we have that one again en Anglais s'il vous plait?

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 18:23:14

okay

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 18:24:16

when i was at college doing sociology, someone said we needed to have people who were worse off

but i can't remember why

catinthehat2 Sat 29-Aug-09 18:39:12

..to make us feel better off? or is that too simplistic?

Dunno, depends if you feel others have any influence over your feelings.

Personally, I can't do the £69 trouser thing because I genuinely don't believe I will get £69 of value.

But £7.99? Yes, the endorphins would be pumping. I would get more than £7.99 value out of the trousers.

And that would be a feeling specific to me, not influenced by others.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 18:42:27

i think its all about society needing different situations

this was about 20 years ago and i have had a lot of juice today

grin

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 18:43:10

i couldn';t spend that much on trosers fof me never mind kds

catinthehat2 Sat 29-Aug-09 18:47:53

Nope it's gone again

wink

KerryMumbles Sat 29-Aug-09 18:48:56

rich people

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 18:49:22

ohxcrpa

shonaspurtle Sat 29-Aug-09 18:52:34

Not children's stuff, but my friend knits for a company that produces hand-knit cashmere for various designers. The stuff she does retails for about £1k! For a jumper!

My friend gets £40...

Yep, it's another world. Might as well be another planet.

Tinfoil Sat 29-Aug-09 18:53:56

Maybe no-one could afford it and that's why the trousers ended up at TK Maxx

sweetnitanitro Sat 29-Aug-09 18:54:32

I wouldn't pay that much for my own trousers and I am unlikely to grow out of them (diet permitting). It just seems like a pointless waste of money. Mind you, most of my DDs clothes are hand-me-downs and charity shop bargains grin

MrsVik Sat 29-Aug-09 19:05:37

I can imagine paying that much for a child's christening outfit, or a bridesmaid's dress or something - but for pants? I probably would keep on looking if they had a price tag heftier than about 15 quid. And they'd have to be REALLY nice!

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 29-Aug-09 19:07:43

crazy as you only wear a christening outfit once

notquitenormal Sat 29-Aug-09 19:08:10

There's a little boutique in Solihull doing designer children's clothes. When my counsin's little girl was born I though I'd have a look and see if I could find something nice. Wouldn't normally buy pricey stuff, but she's likes that kind of thing.

Upon seeing a woolley hat for £30, ONE pair of socks for £20 and a dress at £250 I scooped my jaw of the floor and backed very slowley out of the door (very careful not to touch ANYTHING!)

People in there always looked very ordinary. But then they would I suppose; all the cash has gone on the kids.

TsarChasm Sat 29-Aug-09 19:21:25

There was a childrens clothes shop (boutique?) near me that sold v expensive clothes. I used to go in there and just laugh at the prices. The clothes were nice enough but £80 boots, £45 skirts...

Eventually the shop inevitably went out of business. The final sale was brilliant. I swooped in and was buying things for around £5. I even bought dd a pair of those lovely expensive boots for under a tenner.

Guess what she only wore them 2/3 times last winter and now they're too small; they're still immaculate.

I have no idea who would pay such huge prices for childrens clothes. But they grow out of them at the same rate, they get paint and tea on them just the same as Asda'a finest and if they can't go in the washing machine what's the point? Even if I was a millionaire I still wouldn't buy them.

PrammyMammy Sat 29-Aug-09 19:45:11

Oo good to know that tkmaxx have oilily back in :D
I got some amazing NAS stuff last year in the tkmaxx SALE!! They were selling the same tops i bought for one pound in Jenners for 28pounds.
I saw some DKNY baby trousers labeled 12.99 OP was 109.99 !!! Nearly fainted. I'd be too scared to put my ds in them.

staranise Sat 29-Aug-09 20:12:26

I chatted with another mother recently who told me (with a straight face) that her son couldn't abide wool and has only been able to wear cashmere (from Brora where there's very little for under £100) since he was a baby and did I know how difficult it was finding school socks in cashmere?

I don't have that problem grin

oldraver Sat 29-Aug-09 20:17:25

I buy quite a lot a few Oilily bits but would never pay that much shock

Smithagain Sat 29-Aug-09 20:59:00

pmsl at cashmere school socks!

scottishmummy Sat 29-Aug-09 21:07:47

my friend dresses her children in designer clobber and then gets arsey fraught if they get it dirty

pragmatically,i wouldn't buy anything i couldn't bear to see dirty/worn splashed through a puddle

paisleyleaf Sat 29-Aug-09 21:08:26

Isn't oilily sold at Harrods?
Some people like to spend a lot of money on things - it makes them feel like they're getting something good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now