Talk

Advanced search

to want to exchange trainers for ones that will stay done up? advice please

(17 Posts)
mumandlovingit Sat 29-Aug-09 07:59:25

hi
on wednesday i bought my son a pair of trainers for p.e at school. they have a cross shape elastic bit and then vecro on the end of it to keep them done up.

the wore them yesterday for a couple of hours but was indoors apart from going to and from the car.he hasnt been out playing in them or anything.

they keep coming undone at the velcro bit which will be useless when he is at school as he will have to keep doing them up again and i worry if he is distracted doing p.e he wont notice and then they will be loose.

am i entitled to take them back on these grounds and ask for an exchange for a pair with better velcro? im expecting them to say that they cant sell them again as they have been worn but surely they should b e fit for the purpose thye are sold for which they arent if they are popping undone all the time.

any advice is appreciated. ive got to take them back today with 2 kids in tow who hate shopping so i want to get it over with quickly and know where i stand. the shop doesnt give refunds they only exhange /give credit note at their discretion.

thank you

gingernutlover Sat 29-Aug-09 08:01:44

i think they should exchange them yes, because they sound like they are faulty so it shouldn't matter that he wore them.

mumandlovingit Sat 29-Aug-09 08:17:30

thank you, thats what i thought, they've only got 1 velcro bit but surely that should stay done up and not keep flapping open.

they've not been very helpful in the past though, we only go there as they're brand trainers and goods at reduced price-sportsworld

merrymum Sat 29-Aug-09 08:23:23

hi you wont recognise my name as i usually lurk! i guess from your post that the shop in question starts with a 'S' second word 'World?! and the trainers are a brand that starts with the letter 'L'? you will be lucky to get them exchanged as they are not faulty apparently but designed for skinny feet. my advice to you is wipe them so there are no traces of dirt whatsoever wrap them back in the box, take them with your receipt and just say you would like an exchange as he dosen't like them. good luck!

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 08:27:31

If they are faulty, then you are entitled to your money back.
Goods have to be fit for purpose, and shoes that do not stay done up are not fit for purpose. They are a safety hazard, as your DS could have an accident if his shoes become loose.
Tell them you want a refund and then buy them elsewhere.

mathanxiety Sat 29-Aug-09 08:36:30

It's worth going over them with a fine tooth comb and getting them really, really clean before you return them.

mumandlovingit Sat 29-Aug-09 08:48:34

thank you merrymum you are correct on both. they are lonsdale ones.what a suprise, the clothes i tried to return before that went crap in a couple of washes were that brand too.

i will have a look at them later and see if i can get them pristine.my son likes them though so have now found out he doesnt want to return them! might end up having to keep them for when he's with us and keep doing them up again and another pair for p.e for school.

learnt my lesson buying trainers without alot of velcro!

merrymum did you also buy those trainers?

tethersend Sat 29-Aug-09 08:49:31

purepurple is right, goods must be 'fit for purpose'.

If they are not (skinny feet? wtf?), then you are entitled to a refund- quote the Sale of Goods Act

They are faulty. They are not fit for purpose. You are entitled to a refund.

Good luck- don't be fobbed off by shop assistant, or even store manager, you are right.

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 08:54:45

They don't have to be unworn either, take them back as they are and demand a refund.

thirtypence Sat 29-Aug-09 08:58:41

I had a Timberland pair for ds that had a zip which never stayed up, unfortunately by the time he grew into them and we realised we were 10,000 miles away from the shop.

mumandlovingit Sat 29-Aug-09 09:20:46

problem ive just realised is i dont have the tags anymore, just the trainers and box.they've got a little scuff mark on the edging near round the ankle, no idea how!

got alot going on already this weekend and just rang dp and he just wants to go and get another pair for p.e and learn to get ones with better velcro next time.said for the sake of how much they were its not worth the hassle

thought i was right, i just dont see how people make these shoes and dont realise they will keep coming undone!

see what i can find for p.e and if they're too expensive i will try to take the others back
thank you

purepurple Sat 29-Aug-09 09:24:37

mumandlovingit, you don't need the tags, just the shoes and the receipt
and they don't need to be unworn either or unmarked
how else are you going to find out that they keep coming undone if they are not worn?

mumandlovingit Sat 29-Aug-09 13:20:35

ive just been to the shop and asked about exchanging them and the man said that my sons feet are obviously too wide for them and that because they are elastic on the velcro bit when his feet move they are pulling on the elastic which is making the velcro come undone. he said ones with elastic are known for it and it is obvious you need narrow feet to wear them and that as they've been worn and nothing actually wrong with the trainers they wont exchange them.

i said that if they know this they should tell you when getting the trainers from the store room or when selling them at the till. he didnt have a response to it apart form they do not fir shoes and it is up to the person buying them to make sure they fit and that they're happy with them before purchase.

they've lost us as customers.ds will have to wear them when he is out with us and get a new pair for p.e.i will be going elsewhere to buy those.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sat 29-Aug-09 13:59:49

Does the velcro need to be done up for the shoes to stay on his feet?

If they do stay on, could you just cut the velcro strap off so it does not get in the way?

Or stitch it on loosely so he can slip his feet in and out still.

mumandlovingit Sat 29-Aug-09 14:53:35

ive tried holding the velcro in place to see if i could stitch it on and slip the foot in but you cant. you do need it on really. i will just put them on him for messing about in the garden etc and learn from it.tried loads of places & trainers on him and they either havent got his size or they arent velcro. will go into town when dp if off work. cant face anymore today.

we are in the middle of sorting toy boxes and presuading ds to throw some of his toys away/donate them.we've got toys that havent even been opened yet from xmas! wont be asking for alot of toys for xmas this year.

tethersend Sat 29-Aug-09 17:56:33

They are wrong. Unless the trainers are sold with a big sign above them saying 'For narrow feet only', then you are entitled to a refund.

Your son's feet are not at fault, and to suggest so is ludicrous- after all, you don't have these problems with any other shoes.

I would request to see the manager if you have not done so already, and then write to head office, citing the sale of goods act and invoking your statutory rights. The trainers are not fit for purpose, no matter what drivel they come out with about narrow feet hmm (I think they must have had this problem before, as that excuse sounds rehearsed).

MichKit Sun 30-Aug-09 10:52:49

Customer service has gone to the dogs in this country!! Narrow feet! Never heard that one before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now