Talk

Advanced search

To expect that models used to advertise maternity lines should ACTAULLY be pregnant??

(26 Posts)
Issy2008 Fri 28-Aug-09 19:56:38

My mum's friend's daughter modelled the maternity range for one of the big online clothing companies and she is most definitely not pregnant. Last night I was reading another baby catalogue and spotted another girl modelling the maternity range who I also happen to know DOES NOT HAVE A BABY. AIBU to expect that maternity ranges should be modelled by those with a bona fide baby bump rather than a load of padding?!

GirlsAreLoud Fri 28-Aug-09 19:57:42

Um, who cares? Really?

BertieBotts Fri 28-Aug-09 19:57:55

Why on earth does it matter, as long as the padded bump isn't a completely unrealistic shape of course

TheArmadillo Fri 28-Aug-09 19:59:40

but that would be difficult considering you are only pregnant for around nine months and then often not showing much for the first part. So you probably have a couple of months before getting too big and too fed up to look good. Photoshoot gets delayed and you have to find new models. And you can't find them particularly far in advance.

Also what difference does it make whether the model was actually pregnant or just looks pregnant. Makes no difference to the actual range of clothes.

pjmama Fri 28-Aug-09 20:00:04

None of what we see is real anyway, whether it's maternity clothes or not. Super thin models, airbrushed, stretched and sculpted - the clothes never look the same on me when I get them home! Very depressing!

Anyway, the pregnant models are probaby far too tired...

YouAreRight Fri 28-Aug-09 20:01:10

i always presumed they wear a cushion

mamadiva Fri 28-Aug-09 20:12:07

Ti slike the Evans models, they all look about a size 12 maximum hmm.

Although in the last few weeks of pregnancy I made a bit of cash modelling plus size maternity clothes so they do sometimes use actual pregnant models

YouAreRight Fri 28-Aug-09 20:13:14

you odnt look like a model

are you?

Mybox Fri 28-Aug-09 20:14:49

A website I went to had a video of the clothes on a catwalk - lol at the thinness of the models with their baby bumps - & when they turned around they had a waist!!

geordieminx Fri 28-Aug-09 20:16:44

I congratulated a sales assistant in M&P on her pregnancy, and asked her when she was due - she told me that she wasnt actually pregnant - but had to wear a prosthetic bump to promote the new maternity.. bit weird hmm

pjmama Fri 28-Aug-09 20:28:31

Fake bumps in M&P?! How bizarre...

Fruitbatlings Fri 28-Aug-09 20:33:39

I used to get so fed up with this.

You think, ahh that looks gorgeous! (on the stick thin model with the neatest bump you've ever seen - who's thighs, btw, haven't grown at all hmm) Item arrives and lo and behold, you look like a sack of potatoes angry

PrammyMammy Fri 28-Aug-09 20:37:27

Booking the right model is quite had work. Being pregnant is exhausting, can you imagine being really pregnant and having to stand for sometimes hours under those blistering lights? The company would end up losing too much time and money. A model needs to act out a role.
I was working with a real band while at college and they were a nightmare, they never showed up when i had the studio, full of attitude and didn't want to follow instructions. In the end the boys i used were not in a band, but pulled it off much better than the actual band.

dawntigga Fri 28-Aug-09 21:48:44

YABVVVVVVU good grief you'll be expecting models to me an actual human size or not air brushed to perfection next!wink Then how would we know what to strive for a la DM or any tabloid?

SlightlyCynicalTiggaxx

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 29-Aug-09 08:29:28

Message withdrawn

thelollipoplady Sat 29-Aug-09 14:07:01

ASOS - definitely strap-on bumps. Their maternity wear was great but (sob!) never looked quite the same as on the models!

thelollipoplady Sat 29-Aug-09 14:08:03

And the big giveaway was ... they managed to strut down the catwalk not waddle!

TeenyTinyToria Sat 29-Aug-09 14:11:44

As an actor, it is annoying to see non-pregnant people getting the jobs that I could have done while pregnant. I imagine the same goes for models. However, there are all kinds of health and safety issues to do with employing pregnant actress on film sets, so maybe it's the same for models and it's all too much hassle.

mybox "lol at the thinness of the models with their baby bumps - & when they turned around they had a waist!!"
That's not so strange. I'm nowhere near model size and shape, but I've never looked pregnant from the back.

edam Sat 29-Aug-09 14:12:04

armadillo's right. Models are thin and tend not to be obviously pregnant until later on. Then there aren't that many models who work in late pregnancy - it's very tiring having to stand around striking poses all day (OK, it's hardly going down the pits but it is hard on a pregnant woman).

edam Sat 29-Aug-09 14:13:37

Can't remember any health & safety issues from my days working with pregnant models. They are just standing still on a flat surface! But it's possible there were some that the art editor or photographer dealt with.

Issy2008 Sat 29-Aug-09 19:19:54

Ha ha TheLollipoplady- funnily enough this is the exact shop I was referring to!

roneef Sat 29-Aug-09 19:26:10

OMG I can't believe youareright said that to mamadiva...

shock

What does a plus size pregnant model look like then??

shallow

TheProvincialLady Sat 29-Aug-09 19:31:35

They are probably just worried real pregnant women would get wee and colostrum all over the swimsuits etc.

mamadiva Sat 29-Aug-09 21:32:10

Provinciallady

Just saw this thread again and I would just like to say thank you to Roneef for pointing youareright's catty little comment out I thought I was being paranoid LOL

Youareright thank you for taking the time to look at my photo's and commenting. As someone who struggled for a long time with my image and general self confidence I'd just like to add that whilst I may not be classically beautiful or even particularly pretty I am now after a fair bit of work happy with myself and many others seem to be happy with me too so perhaps some people can see past looks and watch the personality shine through.

And in reply to your question no I am not, nor was I ever a proper model I seen an ad in the paper for a local store and decided to go for it at the time, I would'nt dream of doing it again but the cash helped me prepare for my son much better and it did my confidence wonders too

purpleduck Sat 29-Aug-09 21:41:33

mamadiva - you look lovely, and you are about 8000x more photogenic than I am envy...I'm not sure why youareright would choose to say that..seems a bit mean. Ignore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now