Talk

Advanced search

To think that some parents should slow down whilst walking and have some consideration for little legs?

(18 Posts)
SwissCheese Fri 28-Aug-09 17:34:53

Maybe it's just me being a bit soft, but I must admit to finding it hard not to say anthing to some parents who are walking out at such a fast pace, that the little child (normally the under 4yrs) walking next to them is practically running whilst holding their hand or dragged with the pushchair.

I've seen some children quite distressed - I wish some adults would be mindful that their little legs are probably doing 2 1/2 paces or more to adult strides.

Both DH and I, and most of my friends walk at the child's pace where possible and if we are in a rush we pick DS (3yrs) up or piggyback.

It makes me quite upset thinking how some people perhaps don't think or perhaps inconsiderate. I think I'd be inclined to say to them, fine, you walk fast because you can and it doesn't affect you - how about you trying to keep up with a 100m sprinter? I think they'd be quick to tell me where to go! grin

I appreciate some children dawdle too BTW - before you lynch me...

nickelbabe Fri 28-Aug-09 17:42:47

yanbu grin

Nancy66 Fri 28-Aug-09 17:47:29

This subject came up a couple of months ago and got quite heated.

I agree with you, it actually makes me really upset to see these poor wee ones having to run at full pelt to keep up with an adult.

LadyoftheBathtub Fri 28-Aug-09 17:51:04

Hmm it's a balance though isn't it. I have one friend who will take half an hour to get along a 300-yard street because she won't hurry her DC at all - she'll wait endlessly while they dawdle and backtrack, drives me bananas if we're going somewhere together. Maybe she thinks I'm cruel because I expect my DS to keep up a reasonable pace. I think her kids aren't learning to fit in with anyone else and are a bit pampered.

I hope I don't make DS miserable though. I don't think so, he often happily walks a long way with us because he's used to it. He does get a shoulder ride if he's tired.

deaddei Fri 28-Aug-09 17:56:53

I'm sure I was guilty of this when my dcs were small- I do walk incredibly fast and even my friends tell me to slow down.
Still, they've grown up with no longterm damage.
But yes it is a balance.

SoupDragon Fri 28-Aug-09 18:03:43

"it actually makes me really upset to see these poor wee ones having to run at full pelt to keep up with an adult. "

I regularly have to run at full pelt to keep up with my daughter. would that make you equally upset?

sunburntats Fri 28-Aug-09 18:27:33

oooh dont go there, i posted the exact same thread about 2 months ago and was ripped litterally to shreds.

wanted to retire from mumsnet forever after it, never ever been so burned at the steak in all my years on MN.

But then i am so nosey and another thread caught my eye so licked my wounds incognito for a while.
sad

chegirl Fri 28-Aug-09 19:58:49

I used to rush everywhere at full pelt with DD and DS1.

Like Deaddei my kids grew up without any long term damage.

(well apart from their slightly elongated arms)

SwissCheese Fri 28-Aug-09 20:18:22

Soupdragon - I do agree with the running too! DS can take off and I am well out of puff!

I didn't realise this had come up as a thread before, so if it gets heated - I apologise. Didn't mean to start off anything blush

deaddei Fri 28-Aug-09 20:18:29

Mine are looking forward to taking part in the 2012 Olympics- 100metres.

SwissCheese Fri 28-Aug-09 20:19:45

Perhaps we end this here?!

Mumsnet. Please remove if you wish.

Sorry

junglist1 Fri 28-Aug-09 20:24:47

No don't delete I'm up for a ruck tonight you unreasonable woman you!!!! grin

SwissCheese Fri 28-Aug-09 20:32:07

Junglist - LOL!! I'll stand well back then!! grin

Ninks Fri 28-Aug-09 20:53:29

Hmm...

Sleepless toddlers should be more considerate towards the very people who enable them to be full of energy at ridiculous hours and fecking well slow down a bit! But that is BU, I know.

I nearly lost mine into the road well within the sight and proximity of two enormously fat seated police officers who were sniggering at my inability to catch him.

Ninks Fri 28-Aug-09 20:56:39

So YABU thinking toddlers can't run marathons rings around parents if they choose to.

But I like the cut of your gib, Swiss smile

ThingOne Fri 28-Aug-09 20:59:00

I'd don't recall the previous thread.

YAB extremely U.

You have absolutely no idea what else is going on.

I'll use the school run as just one example in my life. I start trying to get my three year old ready ages in advance. But it it doesn't always work like that. It's incredible how often he absolutely must have his poo now just as we need to leave. And bizarrely these are always the poos that can't be done in a minute but require five minutes or more behind a closed door.

Then I have to fight him back into his pants, shorts, socks and shoes. Sometimes he works with me and it's quick and easy. Sometimes he runs around like a loon, laughing his head off. It can take another ten minutes to leave the house by this stage. So we're late.

Pushchair? You must be joking. He has to be desperate.

I can't carry him or give him a piggyback for complex medical reasons.

So walk extremely fast we must. I know full well he could run to keep up with me very easily as he does it often (and enjoys it). When he's in a grump - which he usually is by this stage on days like this - he drags his feet and I end up having to virtually drag him all the way. I hate days like this. I wish it wasn't like this but I'm not alone - all my friends with children this age find it happens from time-to-time.

deaddei Fri 28-Aug-09 21:03:53

Just had a quick look at the other thread- my goodness, it did get a bit heated! I did laugh at the image of a small child flying like a kite behind a speedy mum!

SoupDragon Fri 28-Aug-09 21:29:06

I remember chasing DS2 (then 4) along the beach at Goring. It was a wide open space and he just went for it. I could not catch the little b*gger! What they lack in speed, they make up for in stamina and agility

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now