Talk

Advanced search

to think a thirteen year old should not sail around the world single handed

(128 Posts)
babybarrister Fri 28-Aug-09 08:00:00

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8219443.stm

can she really be ready no matter how well prepared?!

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 08:02:42

No of course she shouldn't, I can't see the dutch authorities allowing it to happen.

piscesmoon Fri 28-Aug-09 08:07:42

No-for all the reasons given by Libby Purves
here she sums it all up.

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 28-Aug-09 08:33:41

My god. I would have kittens if my child was doing that! Well, there'd be no way I'd allow it! The sea is very dangerous and takes many big burly grown ups every year!

I cannot understand why the parents are supporting this. Is the prospect of some reflected glory if their child breaks some stupid record really worth the risk of her never coming home?

WidowWadman Fri 28-Aug-09 08:37:23

Well, but if she's good enough, she's good enough. The sea takes many burly men, as you said, so it wouldn't make a difference if you waited until she was older to allow her to do it.

If my daughter was into this sport so much that she wanted to do it, and her coach deemed her skilled enough I'd let her. I'd be bricking myself the whole time, but I wouldn't hold her back just because of my own fears.

After all, she could be knocked off her bike, or run over any other day, too.

HecatesTwopenceworth Fri 28-Aug-09 08:45:29

I would, personally, doubt that she is good enough.

Strong enough - physically and emotionally
Mature enough to calmly handle emergencies
capable of spending 2 years on her own, through the horrible hormonal teenage years, without going nuts! grin

I'm sure she can steer a boat. Can she spend 2 years alone, at sea, handling everything that happens? Radio breaks / sat nav breaks / she gets lost / a massive storm comes out of nowhere / something breaks on the boat / etc etc the list is endless! that's what I doubt. And I don't think a 13 yr old child could handle any of those things anything like as well as an experienced adult.

Unless she has someone in another boat alongside her - like the boy did. That would at least reduce some risks.

msrisotto Fri 28-Aug-09 08:58:02

Aside from the issue of is she good enough, the difference between a 13 year old and a 15 year old is huge, i couldn't imagine willingly mising out on that part of her life.

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 09:01:18

That's a load of rubbish WidowWadman, thankfully the dutch authorities seem to have more sense the the girl's own parents.

WidowWadman Fri 28-Aug-09 09:02:51

So you'd rather miss out on the 2 years between 15 and 17? I doubt that these parents would consider it if they didn't think their daughter was mature enough. And I don't think a stroppy 13 year old would consider it if she didn't really want to do it.

I guess sailing with another boat nearby is a sound precaution, though.

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 09:06:41

I don't think a child should do this at all. Minimum age has to be 16.

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 09:09:44

you can't even learn to drive a car until 17.

WidowWadman Fri 28-Aug-09 09:09:59

Why 16?

Pitchounette Fri 28-Aug-09 09:14:05

Message withdrawn

piscesmoon Fri 28-Aug-09 09:14:06

If you read my link it gives you minimum ages for theings, around the world.

Pitchounette Fri 28-Aug-09 09:15:38

Message withdrawn

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 09:18:55

Totally disagree that parents always know what's best for their child, and also disagree that they always know their child best.

Am reading link now pisces.

TheProvincialLady Fri 28-Aug-09 09:21:29

If someone posted here that they were planning to leave their 13 year old DD at home for 2 weeks then the rush to call SS would probably bring down the phone network. I think we can assume that the vast majority of people think YANBU

GibbonInARibbon Fri 28-Aug-09 09:22:57

Anyone that thinks this is ok, is offically a loon.

WidowWadman Fri 28-Aug-09 09:24:35

While I agree that parents don't always know best, I think in this instance they will know their daughter and what she' capable better than anyone else, certainly better than random people on teh interweb.

Not every 13 yo would be capable of doing it, but neither would be every 16, 18 or 23 yo.

What the totally arbitrary minimum ages for things unrelated to sailing around the world have to do with it, is beyond me.

Overmydeadbody Fri 28-Aug-09 09:24:51

If she's good enough at thirteen she'll be even better at 15, or 16, what would be the harm in her just waiting a few years?

Or is there a rush for her to get the title of youngest ever or something?

Kinda pointless in the grand scheme of things isn't it?

Overmydeadbody Fri 28-Aug-09 09:26:08

I don't think there should be a minimum age for sailing belgo!

Next we'd have minimum ages for everything, where would it stop?shock

belgo Fri 28-Aug-09 09:28:20

why not overmydeadbody?

When I say minimum age, I mean for sailing alone. We have it for driving, why not for sailing?

I think it's necessary when I read about parents encouraging their 13 year old to sail alone for the next two years.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 28-Aug-09 09:29:02

No. It is utterly ridiculous to permit or encourage a 13 year old to do this. Anyone on this thread who thinks is a good idea obviously does not have a 13 year old daughter. They are emphatically still children and it is a very vulnerable age.

I am absolutely not an overprotective mother, I trust my dd to do many things, and encourage her to be independent. However, there are some things which I do not think a headstrong 13 year old should make a decision about.

My dd is had the bright idea of asking if she and a freind would be permitted to get a train from Cheltenham to London, tube across the city to watch a football match in West Ham, and the return journey. It was all 'oh mum we're nearly 14 we will be fine'. She is convinced that she is mature enough to do this on her own. It is my job to take the responsibility to put my foot down and say that she isn't.

Overmydeadbody Fri 28-Aug-09 09:29:04

If she isn't alone at any point though, i.e. there are other boats with here, then I guess it's not like being totally alone is it?

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 28-Aug-09 09:31:33

Agree with Libby Purves that even if she manages the rigours of life on the open sea, the real vulnerability will be a lone 13 year old in a port. Have these people not heard of piracy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now