Talk

Advanced search

Ramadan and birthday party. Question more then AIBU

(14 Posts)
KIMItheThreadSlayer Wed 26-Aug-09 19:30:03

Ok came on to post this but got side tracked (the curse of mumsnet grin)

Right DS2 is having his birthday party on Saturday, his best mate from school who is Muslim and is coming, his dad said the little chaps mum will be dropping him off, she speaks no English so cam anyone tell me do children fast? He is 9. I do not have their phone number so can not ring and ask dad.

I am happy to provide Halal food for him to eat, (had a massive discussion with his dad when he came to tea and helpful mumsnetters pointed me in the right direction) but I do not know if he can eat or not?

Also if he is fasting and I see him about to stuff his face with cake what should I do?
Help please

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 26-Aug-09 19:30:58

no, unlikely at that age

KIMItheThreadSlayer Wed 26-Aug-09 19:34:44

Thank you, I saw me pointing from him to the food and making eating gestures to him mum hoping for a nod of shake of the head!

I know at 9 he would know but if he fancied cake and ate when he should not I would feel really really bad

Deeeja Wed 26-Aug-09 19:39:13

At 9, he can choose whether or not to fast. So he will probably not be fasting since he wants to attends his friend's birthday party.
Just carry on as normal.smile
I am sure your ds could phone him and ask him, if you are worried.
Happy birthday to your ds2 for Saturday.smile

Deeeja Wed 26-Aug-09 19:40:27

Even if he was, and ate the cake by accident, it wouldn't matter. Just enjoy the day.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Wed 26-Aug-09 19:45:03

Thank you deeeja, sadly we do not have his phone number sad.

I shall get some halal goodies and hope for the best grin

This is when I really miss living in Wembley as it is so hard to find halal stuff in Tesco, Ealing road was fab.

I miss I Indian sweets sad

MichKit Wed 26-Aug-09 19:59:50

Kimi, if you want to look on here, I have a few recipes for Indian sweets :-)

http://foodfootballandababy.blogspot.com/

If the ones you want aren't on, just drop me a email and will send you some

KIMItheThreadSlayer Thu 27-Aug-09 09:15:41

Thank you, I was planning on sending DH on a long drive to Wembley grin

Firawla Thu 27-Aug-09 09:30:46

i think if he was fasting that day his parents probably would not send him to the party?
children don't have to fast & in that age i think the boy is likely to try some days but not going to do the whole month

gorionine Thu 27-Aug-09 09:46:43

Children do not have to fast but some choose to do . DD1 who is ten has fasted so far but it not compulsary DS2 (8 1/2) has tried the first day and decided he "wasn't quite ready yet".

I would assume that himself would be able to tell wether he is fasting or not but I would still ask the mum when she drops him, surely if she does not understand too well her DS will translate?

KIMItheThreadSlayer Thu 27-Aug-09 12:36:38

Thank you all, I will ask the little chap when he get there and if need be ask him to help me speak to his mum, I have another Muslim friend coming (she is a new convert so not sure what she will be doing but she may be able to assist at the party).

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 27-Aug-09 20:32:15

Just asked my DH and in his culture (not asian) they start to do it about 12 but don't have to do it properly until puberty.

littleducks Thu 27-Aug-09 21:36:44

posted on your other thread, didnt realise there were two

KIMItheThreadSlayer Fri 28-Aug-09 21:02:31

Thank you all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now