Talk

Advanced search

to say that my ds1 (aged 7) can't go and play up the road with the older kids......

(6 Posts)
DrZeus Wed 26-Aug-09 14:03:13

....I'm getting so much grief over this (from ds1). There are some older children in the road who seem to have (imo) a lot of freedom to play in our road. I have no issue with ds1 and ds2 (aged 5) playing in our garden or on the drive - which is shared with a couple of other houses. However, I have drawn the line at letting either of them go off and play down the road on the grass. DS1 is mortified that he's being left out and "everyone else can go so why can't I?". I feel that he's not old enough. I also feel that his behaviour is negatively influenced by these others, and also if he goes, his brother will want to go too.

Rant over (don't get me started on ds1 wanting a mobile phone........!)

HairyMuff Wed 26-Aug-09 14:09:30

To say yay or nay for me, it would depend on how busy the road was and if I could see them from the house.

claricebeansmum Wed 26-Aug-09 14:10:09

Hold your own. Explain that DS2 will want to go to etc.

DrZeus Wed 26-Aug-09 14:12:36

I can't see them if they move off the drive. The road is residential and not busy but I feel that he is just too young at the moment.

HairyMuff Wed 26-Aug-09 14:15:27

Well you are not being unreasonable then. You know your boy and if you think he's too young then he doesn't go.
Simples smile

florence2511 Wed 26-Aug-09 14:20:15

I would probably let him go, but that's just me. I'm all for giving children a bit of freedom.

But it's your child, not mine, and if you feel he isn't ready then that's your call and your call only.

But is it just the age thing you are worried about because sometimes our children surprise us and are capable of doing things that we parents think they are not ready for. In fact it is us who are not ready for them to do things, not them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now