Talk

Advanced search

to be getting a bit peed off with my solicitor?

(11 Posts)
ohjustgrowup Wed 26-Aug-09 11:57:26

I may be. I know they are very busy...but I am buying a house. The solicitor has had the file open for about 4 weeks. I am trying to get hold of her for an update. I have called every day for a week, but she is not calling me back. I emailed 3 times saying 'just wanting an update. Please let me know where we are and if there's anything I can do.' but all I have received in reply was an email last Thursday saying she was reviewing my file and would get back to me 'as soon as possible.'

I don't want to be a pain if she's totally up to her eyes, but jsut a quick email to say 'no news' would be better than total blankness. I am getting tense. My tenancy on my current house expires in 3 weeks and I need to be making plans...aargh.

madameDefarge Wed 26-Aug-09 12:02:40

That is really bad. I'd contact one of the partners in the firm and explain your frustration, and ask if they actually want your business? Say you are only calling as a last resort as you are being ignored.

bearhug Wed 26-Aug-09 12:04:10

Sack her. you are paying her, she should treat you like a valued client. Conveyancers really are NOT busy at the moment so if she can't be bothered to look after her clients, it should be really easy to find a solicitor who will.

ohjustgrowup Wed 26-Aug-09 12:05:18

Thanks, Madame. Might do that. People just keep saying to me: 'yeah - they're like that, solicitors, you just have to keep chasing them...' but surely that can't be normal?

rubyslippers Wed 26-Aug-09 12:05:59

has she left?

totally unaccepatble - ask to speak to her departmental head as a matter of urgency and then say if no-one calls you back you will find another solicitor

ohjustgrowup Wed 26-Aug-09 12:12:01

Will do, Ruby. Just checking that it really isn't acceptable..now I will act.

Honestly, I never knew how incompetent people could be. This whole process from viewing properties, to getting the mortgage and now the conveyancing has been a series of people failing to do their jobs and having to be chased..it's driving me mad and people just shrug and say: 'Yes. That's what it's like - you have to be on people's backs all the time to make it happen.' Surely that shouldn't be necessary?

Morloth Wed 26-Aug-09 12:23:57

Just be aware that for a normal conveyance there probably isn't anything to tell you. Also check your fee agreement (or whatever they call it here), that she can't charge for the time spent in replying to you.

ohjustgrowup Wed 26-Aug-09 12:36:43

Thanks - Good advice, Morloth. There is nothing in the agreement to suggest that I will be charged for a reply. All I want to know is whether it is looking as if we will complete on time. Surely just a quick message to say yes or no isn't too much to ask? Plus, the estate agent acting for the vendor managed to contact them two weeks ago and was told they had received the questionnaire thingy (sorry - terminology escapes me) back from the vendors and would be briefing me soon, so it is likely they at least have something to tell me. I think the whole thing is just stressing me out a little bit and I wanted to vent. Thanks all!

Morloth Wed 26-Aug-09 12:48:52

Not too much to ask at all. I just don't trust lawyers - have spent far too much time with them!

mummy2isla Sat 29-Aug-09 18:51:04

er no I'm a solicitor, that is crap !! If I were you I would write a letter to the managing partner and tell them that you are seriously considering reporting them to the Law Society. A lot of property solicitors are like that I have to say (I don't do property!)

CyradisTheSeer Sat 29-Aug-09 18:54:49

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now