Talk

Advanced search

Getting up and jogging at 6am?

(10 Posts)
lavenderbongo Wed 26-Aug-09 01:29:36

For the last three weeks I have been getting up at 6.05 every morning during the week and jogging for 20 minutes on the Wii Fit.

My DH normally gets up at 7am on week days so I have been very careful to not wake him up. I have an alarm clock which I switch off asap and then turn the sound down on the TV whilst I jog. Unfortunatley the dds wake up about 10 minutes after I start jogging and he has to go in and settle them again before going back to sleep.

This morning, once again he brought up the fact that he hates me getting up and jogging as it disturbs his sleep and then wakes the kids up. He says that it is making him very tired and why can't I jog in the evening instead. He was very angry this morning and couldn't understand why I was insisting on doing this.

I jog in the morning because it the only time of day that I can do it without being interrupted by the kids or getting in the way of him watching TV. Also I am always exhuasted in the evenings and not in the mood or that motivated to jog. In the mornings it wakes me up and gives me a good start to the day.

Now DH has said he will stop moaning about me jogging the evenings and wants me to jog then instead. I want to continue jogging in the morning and have offerred to sleep seperately so as not to disturb him (DH does not want me to sleep anywhere else).

I know its not the most exciting of topics but I am not sure what the way forward is. I dont want to stop jogging in the mornings. I enjoy it! Am I being unreasonable?

Uriel Wed 26-Aug-09 01:34:22

So you're waking the kids up by jogging? Can't you start at 6.50, then he'll be getting up anyway when he has to resettle the kids ten minutes later.

hambler Wed 26-Aug-09 01:35:53

can you move the wii to another room where noone will be disturbed?
WHy not leave the house and go for a real life jog?
Under the current circumstances YABU

waitingforfanjo Wed 26-Aug-09 01:36:30

Well, YANBU in wanting to exericise in the morning, but I think YABU to do it this way if it is continually disturbing his sleep.

Why don't you go out to jog? I used to go out jogging at 6.30am and it's lovely at that time of the morning, so quiet and fresh.
Admittedly it's a bit grim in winter though.

IOnlyReadtheDailyMailinCafes Wed 26-Aug-09 01:37:09

Can't you go for a real jog?

I get up at the same time or 5 during term time to walk the dog and it is a fabulous start to the day.

muggglewump Wed 26-Aug-09 01:39:18

You get up at 6.05 and jog?

Never mind whether YABU or not. You are superhuman!

I couldn't even open my eyes at that time, it's the middle of the night, and jogging?

Do you have any tips?
Caffeine, motivation, drugs?

lavenderbongo Wed 26-Aug-09 01:39:44

Thanks for the idea Uriel but the kids wake up anyway about 6.30 so its not me waking them. Before I started jogging we both had to get up to settle them anyway.

I wanted to get my jogging over and done with before they all woke up. I think what I really need to do is convince the girls to not wake up DH before I have finished jogging. Not easy to convince a 2 and 4yr old to stay in bed!

Uriel Wed 26-Aug-09 01:43:42

What about waiting until the kids wake up, resettle them and then jog?
You won't be disturbing dh's sleep and you'll be doing him a favour cos it'll be you resettling the kids every day. Result!

lavenderbongo Wed 26-Aug-09 01:43:49

Thanks everyone for comments - will be showing them all to DH when he gets home from work.

Can't really go for a jog outside. It currently winter here and weather not fab - also we live on the side of a very big hill. I am not that fit and it would kill me just getting to the top!

Looks like I am being a bit unreasonable then. Will have to re-think excercise routine. Its a shame as mornings work well for me.

waitingforfanjo Wed 26-Aug-09 01:57:31

So if you weren't getting up to jog, your husband would still be woken up at 6.30 anyway by the children? Surely he doesn't manage to go back to sleep if he has to be up at 7? Which means he's only really losing that half hour between you getting up and the children waking.

Would he be prepared to go to bed a bit earlier at night to make up for waking a bit earlier? Sorry if that sounds a bit lame, but unless you decide to sleep in different rooms I can't see how you will find a way round it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now