Talk

Advanced search

to think halfords should do more than swap the car seat i bought?

(24 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Mon 24-Aug-09 15:24:11

I bought ds2 a new car seat in May cost me £119.99 I had it fitted there and all seemed ok. BUT he has constantly got out of the shoulder straps. So on Saturday before our pending day out on Sunday I went back to halfords. The manager took one look at the seat without ds2 in it and said "can you sit him back in it please" so i did he then states to me "This should have not been sold to you it is FAULTY, I am sorry but I am happy to exchange it"

Which he did and we ended up paying an extra £10 for a maxi cosy xp instead of having the same Graco one.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 24-Aug-09 15:24:53

What should they do?

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Mon 24-Aug-09 15:25:33

Like what? Beg forgiveness?

jybay Mon 24-Aug-09 15:26:15

If he admits it was faulty at the time you bought it then it was not of merchandisable quality and you are entitled to a refund.

PeedOffWithNits Mon 24-Aug-09 15:29:43

I am sure you could have had a full refund and gone elsewhere....what do you want,compensation??

hercules1 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:30:55

DId you ask for a refund?

crokky Mon 24-Aug-09 15:31:21

I think TLE expected Halfords to cover the £10 difference between the graco and the maxi cosi, which IMO they should have done, having sold her a faulty carseat.

ginormoboobs Mon 24-Aug-09 15:39:02

YANBU
I would have expected them to cover the £10.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 24-Aug-09 15:40:53

Oh yes. If they didn't have the Graco and were selling the Maxi Cosi instead, I'd definitely have asked for them to cover the extra.

hercules1 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:41:06

Did they not have the graco one in stock? If not I can see why you shouldnt have paid the difference, but if they had it then no.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 24-Aug-09 15:43:15

Thats all I expected, them to cover the extra £10.

Surely when they fitted it as they checked it being supposed car seat experts they should have known it was faulty. And therefore down to someones inexperience or incompetence ds2 was at risk or injury or worse because they sold a faulty car seat.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 24-Aug-09 15:45:24

Hercules x-posted sorry. They had sold out of the Graco one as all car seats are reduced in this branch atm. So he said "I personally would have advised you to get the xp anyway, it is a much better seat"

And yes it is, but I feel I shouldn't have had to pay the extra when it had been fitted there and the car seat expert should have known if the straps were faulty.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 24-Aug-09 15:46:42

Did you ask?

I'd have asked, while pointing out that he was admitting that the advice given by his staff was inadequate in the first instance...

Write a letter.

GirlsAreLoud Mon 24-Aug-09 15:48:44

Oh Halfords are crap.

Had a laughable experience watching some alleged 'expert' there attempt to fit a dog guard in our car.

lal123 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:50:09

Did you ask them to cover the £10? Halfords are absolutely useless imo.

hercules1 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:50:12

In that case you are not being unreasonable at all.

hercules1 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:51:01

Dog guards from halfords probably wouldnt do much any way in an accident with the force of a dog against them.

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 24-Aug-09 15:52:06

I did ask and he said he would have to contact head office today and if they agreed then it would be put back on my card. However I popped back down to the store to see him today as he asked me to and guess what...he is on holiday for 2 weeks now.

GirlsAreLoud Mon 24-Aug-09 15:55:32

Yep, that's why we didn't buy it.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 24-Aug-09 15:56:03

Contact head office? I think you should contact Head Office and give an account of what happened.

Lizzzombie Mon 24-Aug-09 16:03:50

Hi,
Something similar happend to me recently.
Halfords fitted the maxi cosi priori XP in my car 18 months ago and as far as I was concerned all was good.
Until I was told by someone else that it was a bad fit and had severe buckle crunch.
I queried this with Halfords Customer service, CC'ing in to an email any big wig names I could find on the internet. I got a call back 2 days later from the Head of Customer Service to assure me she was dealing with it. She asked for specifics and then followed it up with Dorel (who make Maxi Cosi seats) they confirmed it should never have been fitted to our car.
Halfords offered either a full refund or a refit.
They only had one seat which would fit our car (Britax Evolva 123). The manager fitted it. It was a bit more expensive but he wavered the extra cost.
I am shock that they charged you the extra money when they had fitted it incorrectly in the first place.
Outrageous.
Take it up with customer services.

Another story I know of had a woman get a car seat incorrectly fitted at Mothercare. They refunded the money & gave her a new seat.

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Mon 24-Aug-09 16:14:43

Oh, I see, I'd phone Head Office tbh and ask for it to be refunded. Politely of course but don't wait for an offer, IYKWIM.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Mon 24-Aug-09 16:17:55

They obviously should not have charged you the £10 and they should have apologised. Very lucky you didn't have an accident.

I have bought 8 out of the 10 seats we have bought from Halfords and Mike was fabulous.grin

TheLadyEvenstar Mon 24-Aug-09 19:13:45

Fab, thats my relief...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now