(114 Posts)
daftpunk Mon 24-Aug-09 12:03:00

some other phrases the PC brigade want banned;

black day

right hand man

oh, and whiter than white

lololo

beanieb Mon 24-Aug-09 12:09:25

is this a daily mail thread? I think it's right up their street! Oh yes - I see the llink now wink

I would like the phrase 'PC Brigade' banned... and also 'do-gooders' particularly when used by people who seem to think that doing good is somehow bad.

Arses! grin

of course, banning things like 'black board' and 'black day' is just ridiculous arsery!

wheredidiputmyfone Mon 24-Aug-09 12:10:33

Looks like George Orwells 1984 Newspeak to me, I don't like it when people try to tell others how to think/speak.

But saying that, when you look at some words that are inappropriate now I can see where they're coming from eg 'You spastic!' was very popular when I was younger.

daftpunk Mon 24-Aug-09 12:11:45

the best one is "master bedroom"....why ban that?

TheOldestCat Mon 24-Aug-09 12:12:51

Love the idea of the PC Brigade. Where do they meet up to plan their attacks on the language? Do they have a special uniform? hmm

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 12:13:45

Yes, I like 'gentleman's agreement' - everyone knows what it means and I like the irony knowing how 'gentlemen' have really behaved through history.

StayFrostysOtherSister Mon 24-Aug-09 12:15:49

Oh is this that story about the "PC Brigade' 'banning' things? The Mail run a variation of this pretty much every year don't they, in a slow news week? It is a perennial staple, much like the "muslims ban Christmas shocker!!!" one they always do.

daftpunk Mon 24-Aug-09 12:16:06

black day to be replaced by miserable day....i don't know any black person who would be offended by "black day"

PitysSake Mon 24-Aug-09 12:16:23

oh its bollocks

DP oyu can do better

Rindercella Mon 24-Aug-09 12:17:31

Oh boy, the genuine DM reader comments (not us lot playing silly buggers):

I urge anyone who is a native of this country to breed and get into politics we need to make a difference and get idiots like these out of the halls of power and into janitors overalls
- simon, london uk, 24/8/2009 12:03

Fecking hell. God save us all from cretins like this.

J

OrmIrian Mon 24-Aug-09 12:19:57

Tis PC gorn mad!

daftpunk Mon 24-Aug-09 12:20:21

pityssake;

if only it wasn't true...

iv'e heard of schools/playgroups changing the words to bah bah black sheep....

PitysSake Mon 24-Aug-09 12:21:48

well as someone who has worked in schools and the public sector i havent heard of any of it

the only one was a big discussion about renaming chairman " chair" and it wad roundly dismissed.
( nto by me i was in the right on brigade)

Rindercella Mon 24-Aug-09 12:24:00

I think they tried to do that back in the 80s DP, and the words are still baa baa black sheep.

Tis a load of shit stirring nonsense.

TheOldestCat Mon 24-Aug-09 12:24:15

Have you really dp? Or is that just an urban myth?

PitysSake Mon 24-Aug-09 12:24:57

i never have
its a load of cra
anyway the cultural significance of the might song bababblack sheep is pretty small

StayFrostysOtherSister Mon 24-Aug-09 12:25:41

I've 'heard of' this as well. I've 'heard of' loads of urban myths: men in car parks spraying perfume that is an anaesthetic and mugging women, the mysterious bearded muslim man who warned someone about a bomb!! in the town centre!! tomorrow!!! in return for having his the bank card he dropped given back to him etc etc that kind of thing. All 100% true and really happened to a cousin of a friend of mine of course.

daftpunk Mon 24-Aug-09 12:26:14

myth?.... you haven't been able to say blackboard for years...

Rindercella Mon 24-Aug-09 12:28:21

Ehh? "you haven't been able to say blackboard for years... "

You're just up for a good old ruck aren't you DP wink

PuppyMonkey Mon 24-Aug-09 12:28:47

Yes, I saw a documentary or something where all of these "It's PC gone mad, I tells yer" type stories are ALL a load of nonsense and no-one ever has actually banned the word black and stuff. And many of the equality groups are hmm angry about it because it makes their real, genuine grievances look silly.

StayFrostysOtherSister Mon 24-Aug-09 12:29:00

Because most schools have whiteboards now.

PitysSake Mon 24-Aug-09 12:29:12

oh god dafty this is your weakest evereffort!!

white board blakc board
or tbhinteractive - thats much more inclusive

youa re, in all honesty, talkign bollocks

LynetteScavo Mon 24-Aug-09 12:29:18

So if I enter into a "gentlemans agreement" can I get out of it because I'm, a woman?

TheOldestCat Mon 24-Aug-09 12:32:01

I like this from comedian Stewart Lee (talking to an audience where the majority said they agreed that 'political correctness has gone mad'):

"It really worries me that 84% of this audience agrees with that statement, because the kind of people that say "political correctness gone mad" are usually using that phrase as a kind of cover action to attack minorities or people that they disagree with.

I'm of an age that I can see what a difference political correctness has made. When I was four years old, my grandfather drove me around Birmingham, where the Tories had just fought an election campaign saying, "if you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Labour," and he drove me around saying, "this is where all the niggers and the coons and the jungle bunnies live."

And I remember being at school in the early 80s and my teacher, when he read the register, instead of saying the name of the one asian boy in the class, he would say, "is the black spot in," right? And all these things have gradually been eroded by political correctness, which seems to me to be about an institutionalised politeness at its worst.

And if there is some fallout from this, which means that someone in an office might get in trouble one day for saying something that someone was a bit unsure about because they couldn't decide whether it was sexist or homophobic or racist, it's a small price to pay for the massive benefits and improvements in the quality of life for millions of people that political correctness has made.

It's a complete lie that allows the right, which basically controls media now, and international politics, to make people on the left who are concerned about the way people are represented look like killjoys.

And I'm sick, I'm really sick-- 84% of you in this room that have agreed with this phrase, you're like those people who turn around and go, "you know who the most oppressed minorities in Britain are? White, middle-class men." You're a bunch of idiots.
From "Heresy", BBC Radio 4, 16th May 2007"

kathyis6incheshigh Mon 24-Aug-09 12:32:20

DM nicked this story from other papers, not sure where it originated (eg here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now