Talk

Advanced search

to insist my dd and dh sign a contract

(14 Posts)
cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 20:56:25

stating that if we get a new, big fish tank they will undertake to clean the tank/look after the fish.

(Thinking of the chickens we had, dogs we have had etc etc).

Will the contract be legal?

AnyFucker Sun 23-Aug-09 20:57:54

lol

if you think this will come to pass, you are very naive wink

get the tank, but only if you accept that after a couple of wks, it will be down to you

iamtrufflepig Sun 23-Aug-09 21:05:56

Agree with anyfucker. I have to nag the kids to do their paper round. Had bunnies that they didn't take any interest in. Look after dogs that they again don't want anything to do with except the nice bits. Give up, if you aren't prepared to do it yourself then don't take it on.smile

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 21:08:44

But knowing dh and dd, I will get home from work one day and find new big fishtank sitting there.

mathanxiety Sun 23-Aug-09 21:11:16

This is why I WILL NOT get a puppy. (Do you hear that? You know who you are.) Let the fish die, don't lift a finger, they will learn the hard way.

Thunderduck Sun 23-Aug-09 21:15:30

If you feel they won't look after them without a contract then they're unlikely to do so with one. I wouldn't buy the fish.

And if you do don't let them die as advised. If you purchase an animal then you owe it to them to take care of them, even if they are fish.

Lulubee Sun 23-Aug-09 21:17:27

Maybe if you get them to sign a contract but with consequences if they don't keep to it? Like - if the fish don't get cleaned they go straight on freecycle and find a new owner?

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 21:18:46

Thunderduck, do not worry. The fish will be taken care of, just as the chicks are and the dogs where (died aged 15).

maryz Sun 23-Aug-09 22:08:36

They won't do it. And they won't mind the dirty glass or the smell. You, on the other hand will feel sorry for the fish, and deal with it. Sorry

piscesmoon Sun 23-Aug-09 22:13:15

Not worth the paper it is written on-I agree with maryz.

Dragonhart Sun 23-Aug-09 22:18:08

When my brother was nagging my dad for a dog, he told him that if he walked an imaginary dog for a month, mornign and eve he could have one. When he had done 3wks and my dad was starting to get worried, he went to him and said he didnt think he wanted a dog after all. His bestfriend had just got one so he thought he would play with that instead!

Not sure how that would work for fish though, not having to walk them and all! grin

Dragonhart Sun 23-Aug-09 22:18:10

When my brother was nagging my dad for a dog, he told him that if he walked an imaginary dog for a month, mornign and eve he could have one. When he had done 3wks and my dad was starting to get worried, he went to him and said he didnt think he wanted a dog after all. His bestfriend had just got one so he thought he would play with that instead!

Not sure how that would work for fish though, not having to walk them and all! grin

abbierhodesHATESTHEDAILYMAIL Sun 23-Aug-09 22:53:28

Insetad of letting the fish die, which I agree would be cruel, put the whole thing on Ebay the first time they don't clean it on time!

mamas12 Sun 23-Aug-09 23:18:53

This happened to me.
he was desperate for a fish and tank. Bought the latest stuff and everything.
I Hate fish he knew this and didn't beleive me when I said I would have nothing to do with them because I hate fish.
They died. I got the blame for not looking after them!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now