Talk

Advanced search

to not want to spend 90 quid on lightbulbs?

(32 Posts)
RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 23-Aug-09 11:07:04

Message withdrawn

Fluffypoms Sun 23-Aug-09 11:11:19

What thats crazy hmm

when we moved in to new place there was enery light bulbs here but they are weird clip in one that i cannot find anywhere??

and i have broken two of them blush

Thandeka Sun 23-Aug-09 11:13:08

we use energy saving bulbs in our dimmers but dont use the dimmers and its fine no buzz(but if you put the dimmer down they do) so if you dont really use the dimmer function much you could do that?

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 23-Aug-09 11:13:31

Message withdrawn

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 23-Aug-09 11:14:15

Message withdrawn

SoupDragon Sun 23-Aug-09 11:15:10

Why do you think you need to rewire the house? surely you only need to replace the dimmer switch with an ordinary one.

I'm sure the dimmable low energy ones I got weren't £15 a bulb though.

oldraver Sun 23-Aug-09 11:16:26

We have nearly 50 odd lightbulbs in our house plus quite a few flouro strips as the builders decided to put 2 light fittings in lots of rooms and wall lights. I do use low watt (25 usually) candle bulbs and they are on dimmers so not exactly Blackpool Illuminations and tend to use side lights/ lamps. I do occasionally like to put on the main lights and even though this means two lights at a total of 150 watts it would be for a short time AND I can dim it

Low energy give out bad light, look rubbish and are way too expensive and I resent being forced to buy them. I mean I do do my best to keep my bill down do the Government really think we like to run up bills

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 23-Aug-09 11:18:46

Message withdrawn

Celia2 Sun 23-Aug-09 11:19:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlightHattendant Sun 23-Aug-09 11:20:55

Soup is right. You can just change the switch itself, will be fine smile I know this as I actually put in a dimmer in ds1's old room.

I am fed up that they're stopping selling normal ones though, will have to go and stock up because the big energy saving ones are crap don't fit in our wall fittings, with our little shades. We don't have any wiring to the ceilings in most of the house, and also the fittings have small screw fitting bulbs, I don't think you can get these in energy saving? Bollox.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 23-Aug-09 11:21:02

Message withdrawn

FlightHattendant Sun 23-Aug-09 11:24:43

I don't know, actually twisty bulbs and twisty fittings to match! V nice lights Reality smile

Ponders Sun 23-Aug-09 11:25:08

You can get small screw energy-saving bulbs, flight - I have some (can't remember where I got them from though; mail-order I think)

Ponders Sun 23-Aug-09 11:26:18

(google SES energy-saving bulbs)

FlightHattendant Sun 23-Aug-09 11:30:04

Thanks Ponders, that's good to know!

serenity Sun 23-Aug-09 11:32:31

IKEA do small screw energy saver bulbs, they also do little ones that work in wall sconce's, and don't look pants (small round, and also candle iirc - not my department, so can't remember exactly)

serenity Sun 23-Aug-09 11:36:35

Round ones here

Candle

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sun 23-Aug-09 11:44:40

Message withdrawn

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 23-Aug-09 12:22:45

Does any one know any that give a decent quality of light? I have fairly severe vision problems in low light and I cannot see at all well with the low energy bulbs - not even the equivs to 100W

differentID Sun 23-Aug-09 12:59:34

Kitten, can you get halogen bulbs to fit?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 23-Aug-09 13:20:04

I'm not sure diffId, I always thought you needed superduper special fittings or something? worth considering - thanks

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 23-Aug-09 13:26:39

Actually, giving a couple of websites a quick glance it looks like the new led bulbs might be an (expensive) option for better light quality. hopefully prices will come down enormously

Ponders Sun 23-Aug-09 13:30:53

They'll have to do something about the colour of the light though - all the LED bulbs I've seen (eg in torches) have been that hideous glaring bluish-white.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 23-Aug-09 13:35:36

It seems that they can do them in warm light (according to blurb I'm scanning quickly) but the problem is that they are very directional. (which would be good for me reading) I know what you mean about the colour in torches. It is very garish!

Seona1973 Sun 23-Aug-09 20:01:35

argos do the small globe energy saving bulbs too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now