Talk

Advanced search

to refuse to watch any more "shows" put on my children until at least this evening?!

(17 Posts)
onthepier Sun 23-Aug-09 09:44:49

My children, especially my youngest, have had a "show" fixation this holiday, the full works with curtains drawn, lights dimmed and music off, chairs lined up to create a theatre, followed by lengthy, rather similar performances put on after an hour or so practising and arguing together!

I've watched 1 or 2 a day these holidays, sometimes with their friends taking part as well and I've got things to do today! My youngest is now crying as he wanted to do a "special" one.hmm

I'm ignoring the wails for now, have managed to get some things done, have suggested a trip to the beach later but all he wants is to put on another show. Does anybody else find these tedious? I love watching them in their school plays/drama club by the way, I've just had my fill of plays at home!!

Saltire Sun 23-Aug-09 09:46:59

I did smile to myself when I read this - not because my 2 Dses do this, but my cousin used to. Every single family get together she would, from the age of 4, stand and sing and recite poetry for up toan hour a day, and of course my younger brothers and I were a bit bored by the end of it.

thirtypence Sun 23-Aug-09 09:50:36

After the first show I won't watch any more unless I have script approval - which means there has to be an actual script - which would take hours to write.

ready2explode Sun 23-Aug-09 11:19:50

aww, you are being completely unreasonable!

imagine if kenneth branagh's mum had refused to watch his early performances... can't you combine the 2? we often play charades on the beach or wherever.

I was an early performer too as was my sister and my whole family tolerated it until I grew out of it. I'm already encouraging 2 yr old dd, song and a dance on the coffee table after tea! Just set a time and plan for the performance which they can practise in a quiet corner or their room, make a grand announcement, let them do their thing, heaps of praise and applause and no more till tomorrow.

nigeltuffnell Sun 23-Aug-09 11:26:12

I love that your children have done this!!!
I used to put on shows too, my mum did suggest complicated dance routines and scripts to occupy me when she was busy, that could work....

letsgostrawberrypicking Sun 23-Aug-09 11:33:33

Aah my dds used to do this when they were little sad I know "memory adds enchantment" and all that - but I miss it (a bit)

So YABU - but I know it does get a leeetle boring sometimes grin

Can they not have a specific time for a show say 4pm for 20 mins, so they can work all day on it and it keeps them busy!!

2rebecca Sun 23-Aug-09 11:41:26

We used to do these, especially when our cousins visited. They didn't go on for hours though, and usually followed a fairytale plot. My friend and I later started putting on singing shows for our parents to watch. They must have been a bit painful.
My kids used to do this and it sometimes got frustrating as they'd want me to join in but I'd have to telepathically know what to do/ say and as their plots were made up it wasn't easy.
I'd say "OK a show for 15 minutes but then I have things to do, so keep it short and special"

duchesse Sun 23-Aug-09 11:47:17

Aw, don't be a meanie. Try to sidetrack them into producing something really polished complete with programmes and interval refreshments. That should keep them busier for longer!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 23-Aug-09 11:51:44

My poor parents. I used to do these, with sound effects, taped music, and all sorts. All by myself as well. God they must have been bored!

Paolosgirl Sun 23-Aug-09 11:52:20

YANBU - fellow meanie here! DD and her BF (both 10) get together and 'entertain' me with songs and plays, which are usually in the theme of Hannah Montana, complete with awful wailing singing in American voices about how they will be "best friends for-eh-eh-verrrrrr". My toes are curling just thinking about it.

Sometimes a gal just has to say no more, for the love of God, no more.

deste Sun 23-Aug-09 18:55:17

ready2explode. The song and dance on the coffee table, I know only so well. We had it for years but she did end up on the London stage for a little while so you never know. She also did the show thing and could organise everyone to be part of the show. Her speciality was surprise surprise.

Stinkyfeet Sun 23-Aug-09 19:02:44

I used to do Shows with my best friend when we were about 10 - we used to charge our families to watch them! We even insisted on my oldest brother paying when he just wanted to come in, sit down and eat his lunch!!

mamas12 Sun 23-Aug-09 19:12:38

Mine have done this.
Why don't you let them video it, taking turns who is the director and camera operator and actor/singer.
Takes hours to make and then only a few minutes to watch!!
You can see I'm a veteran and I've got the blackmail material for when they're older. grin

Thunderduck Sun 23-Aug-09 19:17:14

YANBU.

cheshirekitty Sun 23-Aug-09 20:52:15

That is so beautiful. Children grow up so quickly. A few years on and you will be wishing your dc even talk to you!!!

Enjoy.

katiestar Sun 23-Aug-09 21:48:27

Oh the shows the interminable bloody shows !!

mathanxiety Sun 23-Aug-09 21:55:04

Get a camcorder and ask them to tape themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now