Talk

Advanced search

to think dogs, children and hot days don't mix?

(19 Posts)
RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sat 22-Aug-09 21:49:04

Message withdrawn

GirlsAreLoud Sat 22-Aug-09 21:53:17

I would report it yes although would be difficult without knowing the owners details.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sat 22-Aug-09 21:56:31

Message withdrawn

GirlsAreLoud Sat 22-Aug-09 21:57:12

Yes report it then, specially if there were witnesses. The dog wasn't properly under control.

southeastastra Sat 22-Aug-09 21:59:43

yes i would have called someone. so many morons are allowed to keep dogs

FfreckleFface Sat 22-Aug-09 22:07:53

Is your cousin ok now? Sounds like a nightmare.

YANBU. You have to be so careful with big dogs when there are crowds, especially when there are children about. Mine are friendly, used to children, but I would NEVER take them to that sort of event if I was going to be drinking. It demands excellent behaviour from the dog, and if you're drinking, then you can't possibly expect to be able to fully control it at all times.

FWIW, my dogs spent the afternoon playing in the garden with my 18 month old daughter. But, they were closely supervised, in a familiar environment, and they know the child. And the Rottweiler looks very cute wearing her flowery hat...

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sat 22-Aug-09 22:15:34

Message withdrawn

plonker Sat 22-Aug-09 22:22:05

You have absolutely done the right thing by reporting the incident.

The dogs owner sounds like a knob and the dog clearly wasn't under control.

Your poor cousin sad

Hope she's ok now

CarGirl Sat 22-Aug-09 22:27:09

yes report it, he will probably get a warning (assuming this is the first time) but that means if he allows his dog to bite again and it is reported then something will be done.

I reported the dog that bit my dd - I love dogs, hopefully the owners will now take it seriously that they have to train their dog to not to chase & attack runners & cyclist and oh little girls on scooters.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sat 22-Aug-09 22:31:13

Message withdrawn

confuseddoiordonti Sat 22-Aug-09 22:35:03

Hold on, being controversial here I know, but there is a fair chance that the dog had indeed been being pestered by children all day, and was hot and cranky. I fully agree that the owner ought to have a very close eye on this, and is in the wrong for not having, but if a dog like a weimaraner was going to bite your poor cousin would have had far worse injuries than she had. I hope the police talk to the owner and this makes him have more of a handle on things in future, but all this talk about 'allowing his dog to bite' etc is really a bit OTT.
The title of this thread sounds a lot less biased - suggesting the 3 may not mix. (Also, bear in minds, pubs are predominately places for adults not children.)

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sat 22-Aug-09 22:39:26

Message withdrawn

CarGirl Sat 22-Aug-09 22:44:28

The problem is that a dog "snapping/warnning" "playful" etc etc can cause such damage - want to see the photos of my dd?????????

Owners need to take very very seriously the damage their dog can inflict the same as drivers should take very seriously their driving behaviour.

If you're going to get pissed don't take your dog with you!

FfreckleFface Sat 22-Aug-09 22:45:05

Reality, I can't speak for the dog at the pub, but my two are very aware of faces. Even when playing, they steer clear of faces (unless giving sloppy kisses).

It was a big dog. Clearly not under full control, but it doesn't sound like a proper, agressive bite. (I'm not trying to diminish what happened at all, sorry if it seems that way.) Try not to dwell on what might have happened had it been your little girl. It sounds as though the dog was being boisterous, not agressive. It us still not in any way acceptable, and should be reported, but not worth the nightmares you are bound to have if you keep worrying about it.

Glad your cousin is feeling better.

RealityIsNOTDetoxing Sat 22-Aug-09 22:46:21

Message withdrawn

confuseddoiordonti Sat 22-Aug-09 22:46:36

Oh good! I didn't want to suddenly be at the lairy end of lots of irate mothers!

No, the owner is at fault I agree (I have a dog and have occassionally had agro from parents when dog has done NOTHING so bit of a raw nerve I think) and I think a visit from the police may give him a kick up the arse. It's not fair on the dog or the children really and makes the an 'incident' likely.

I hope this won't make your cousin scared of dogs now. So many children are and it's such a shame (I learnt to walk holding onto the dogs ears so am very much a dog fan, hence admittedly biased!) We have walked past toddlers who have then asked why our dog (border collie) hasn't bitten them and it's such a shame (as well as anxious kids making the dogs anxious and jumpy too)

CarGirl Sat 22-Aug-09 22:50:51

yep as a dog lover I am so angry that my dd got bitten as I have spent the last 12 months trying to convince her that she is very very very unlikely to get bitten again. Of course she says things like "I'm scared of dogs, but not Z because I know him" etc etc but every dog to her is now a potential threat all because one knobhead owner didn't do something about his dogs chase instinct/repsonse and the knobhead dog walker who thought that a flimsly retractable lead was suitable for a year old Austrian Shephard that they knew chases/attacks runners & cyclists!

BitOfFun Sat 22-Aug-09 22:55:46

It's certainly enough to have the community plods have a word with the owner so he doesn't take it out to the bloody pub as it gets frazzled. Totally irresponsible. Your poor cousin- I hope she's ok sad

I agree that it wasn't a full-on attack (just from what I know of dogs), but a defensive-feeling "leave me alone" sort of nip as a warning. Otherwise it would have been much worse from a Weimeraner(sp). And that doesn't mean your cousin did anything to wind it up either, just that the dog had had enough and its owner should have taken it home.

FfreckleFface Sat 22-Aug-09 23:05:42

Confused-I so know what you mean. We've got rotties, and even though they are big softies, people expect the worst from them. As a result, I am shit-hot at ensuring they are never put in a situation in which their behaviour might be tested. It does make me sad when people steer their children away from them, because they are excellent with children, and I make a point of sitting them down if we pass children so they can stroke/pat if they want to. Little Ff breaks all the rules, and (thanks to a lot of work and training) is completely in charge of them. She adores them, and, to my utter relief( because it was my main fear while pregnant) they adore her. It would have broken my heart had they not accepted the baby. (in a more hormonal moment while pregnant, I asked Bloke where we would send the baby if Boydog didn't like her.)

Reality- wine, now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now