Talk

Advanced search

Pissed off at £33.84 for a regulation school skirt!!

(75 Posts)
FeckedOffWithBeingRippedOff Sat 22-Aug-09 19:37:38

Just got round to ordering DD's uniform for secondary school and cannot believe the price of the regulation skirt angry. It's a fecking kilt fgs and the state school is in the South of England (nowhere near Scotland) in a town made up of majority council housing!! It is not a school with a good reputation either, just the school closest to our house so DD can walk there and back independently.

This particular skirt is the only one that can be worn (cannot wear a cheaper plain skirt) and can only be bought in one shop. They can wear trousers but they would not look very nice with the blazer.

Am outraged at the prices (£9.50 for a PE top, £10.75 for a PE skirt, £30 for a tracksuit compulsory for winter), I expected the £30 for a blazer but did not expect the skirt to cost more than that!! I am up to £150 already and that's just PE kit (minus trainers),1 blazer,1 jumper and 1 skirt and none of that can be bought cheaper in Tescos! I had wanted to get two skirts so she could have one clean and one in the wash but looks like she will have to wear the same one all week (will have to get some Fabreze)!

I know this has been in the news recently and so it bloody should be IMO!! Grrrr!

TheProfiteroleThief Sat 22-Aug-09 19:38:58

Buy one and lobby board of gov for a plain alternative.

And make sure she does not smoke behind bikesheds and make little holes in it

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Aug-09 19:40:42

YANBU.

It is wrong.

Write to the school. And see if you can get second hand ones?

cupcakesinthesnow Sat 22-Aug-09 19:42:28

I completely agree; it's outrageous. Petition the head. I did this at ds's school and they approached the supplier and threatened to find a new supplier so the price went down ( a bit!).

magnolia74 Sat 22-Aug-09 19:42:38

Try £40! Just bought out so no 2nd hand ones angry

Really pissed off and writing to head to complain......

DollyPS Sat 22-Aug-09 19:43:11

OMG that is outrageous.

GrimmaTheNome Sat 22-Aug-09 19:43:16

Thats quite outrageous for a uniform skirt. Are secondary schools allowed single suppliers - I thought state schools weren't supposed to do that?

TheProfiteroleThief Sat 22-Aug-09 19:43:29

Does it have an integral chastity belt? If so, I'd consider one for my dd for secondary school

BigGobMum Sat 22-Aug-09 19:44:28

I would refuse to pay this. The school must be made to see sense. Utter utter bollocks. Send her in a plain one and if they complain go to the papers.

hocuspontas Sat 22-Aug-09 19:47:48

I thought that there had to be more than one place to get uniforms now. This year dd1's school has offered an alternative shop. (More expensive though! Why??). I've just gritted my teeth handing over £30 for a skirt. And it's a new style - only to the knee so lots less material - but no cheaper Grrrr as well angry

chegirl Sat 22-Aug-09 19:49:29

That is utterly disgusting. I like school uniforms because they make my life easier. I cannot bear it when schools get all up themselves about uniform though. FFS its not Rodean.

I much prefer the sweatshirt, plain skirt/jogger type uniform. So much easier to buy and maintain.

MrsWeasley Sat 22-Aug-09 19:53:10

Whilst I agree that it is expensive I would much prefer it to our senior school uniform which consists of extremely tight, short skirts. I am not just an old fuddy duddy but I do not lie when I tell you that if they show more than about 3 inches lower than their are considered too long and the girls roll them up.

I have on serveral occassions she girls with their bum cheeks on show

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 19:54:11

My DD's skirt was £42. I only bought the one.

deste Sat 22-Aug-09 19:54:28

My DD went to a posh school and she had to wear a kilt but they had the option of a an expensive proper kilt or a cheaper kilt skirt.

famishedass Sat 22-Aug-09 19:55:27

YABU - it's not expensive compared to ordinary clothes. It's just expensive compared to the mass produced uniforms produced by chinese child slaves that all the supermarkets have been plugging recently to get you in there to buy other things too.

If you're on a low income you get a grant anyway dont you?

Glitterknickaz Sat 22-Aug-09 19:56:42

Is this school Ml*a* in Hr**a?

Glitterknickaz Sat 22-Aug-09 19:57:43

sorry - M@l@a@@ in H@r@@a@?

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 19:58:03

When I was at school in the 70s/80s, I had to wear a kilt. It was made to measure and hand-tailored. I don't think there was much change out of £100 then.

chegirl Sat 22-Aug-09 19:59:22

As far as I remember the grant was for those on income support and it was £30.00. They stopped it in the 90s though it may have been re-introduced.

Even if there were a grant, why should it be spent on such an expensive item? I would rather it stretched further than one over priced kilt.

FeckedOffWithBeingRippedOff Sat 22-Aug-09 20:00:40

famishedass - not expensive compared to ordinary clothes? I would not even spend £30 on a skirt for work for myself!! I got her primary school skirts from M&S for around under a tenner (don't think they use Chinese child slaves do they?).

And No unfortunately not eligible for any grants - do you have to be on a low income to think £34 for a skirt is expensive?? hmm

BigGobMum Sat 22-Aug-09 20:02:31

Famish - this IS expensive compared to 'ordinary clothes'!

Ewe Sat 22-Aug-09 20:03:57

My kilt was £40 when I was at school and blazer was £125 shock it is a bloody rip off.

Phoenix4725 Sat 22-Aug-09 20:04:23

no grants in england they say well if you choose to send your child to that school your agreeing to supplying the uniform like we have a choice it is the only senior school for 10 miles , you opt anything else you got to pay transport

FeckedOffWithBeingRippedOff Sat 22-Aug-09 20:05:05

Was that a state school though with no alternative options??

Ewe Sat 22-Aug-09 20:08:17

Mine was a state school, selective grammar but still state. It is disgraceful really as it means you're still being selective - indirectly of course - against people who can't afford the uniform.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now