Talk

Advanced search

Poncey deli has opened nearby and it's selling live lobster

(95 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Aug-09 17:38:18

FGS. It's a lovely shopping street and there are some really nice shops along there. Some are getting a bit bunting cupcake though and this deli is particularly so.

I rather think there's no need for it. The live lobster. The staff in silly poncey uniforms. The "trying to hard to be twee" decor and all that Farrow & Ball green paint. You know the shade.

Grumble, grumble...

LuluMaman Sat 22-Aug-09 17:39:18

surely if it is a poncey deli it would be unreasonable not to have all those things ...

GypsyMoth Sat 22-Aug-09 17:40:18

why go there then if it annoys you so?

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Aug-09 17:40:55

I do not want a poncey deli. I want a nice normal deli. Which doesn't feel the need to display cheeses in hampers with straw.

Tee2072 Sat 22-Aug-09 17:42:05

That sounds lovely. Wish I had a deli like that nearby.

GypsyMoth Sat 22-Aug-09 17:43:44

well go to another deli....or waitrose deli,or an online deli of your choice

or write them an annonymous letter telling them you hate it all....don't see there is much you can do to stop it tho,except boycott it and hope it goes out of business.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Aug-09 17:44:46

The staff were wearing straw boaters!

Anyway. Moreover, live lobster. Is there a demand for live lobster where you live? I'm surprised anyone thinks there is around here.

How long can a shop keep live lobster for, before it, well, I guess they don't go off. Dies of misery? Dunno. If they don't sell them, that is.

TheCrackFox Sat 22-Aug-09 17:45:18

Oh, stop showing off. I live across from a bookies, chippy and old mans pub.

Would love a poncey deli.

Morloth Sat 22-Aug-09 17:48:17

Yum, where do you live?

SomeGuy Sat 22-Aug-09 17:50:26

ooh, please tell them to open up next to me.

Although we do have a poncey butcher, and I don't go there very much cos the prices are so horrific. £18/kg for rib of beef, £8/kg for basic stewing lamb, etc.

So maybe a normal deli would be better.

famishedass Sat 22-Aug-09 17:50:35

Admit it, you want the nice deli to be in your area but can't afford to shop there can you grin

Off you trot to Asda then.

Tidey Sat 22-Aug-09 18:01:08

I like a nice poncy deli, but only if they sell carrot cake. Mmmmm.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 22-Aug-09 18:02:38

Acksherley, I have to concede the prices weren't too bad...

No excuse for the ponceyness though.

TheCrackFox Sat 22-Aug-09 18:02:52

Or scones. Mmmmm.

PinkTulips Sat 22-Aug-09 18:02:59

I'd buy live lobster.

And pretty foods in hampers of straw.

In fact i commit acts of depravety for the opportunity to shop in a pncey deli.

My local choices involve the veg shop that occasionally gets in wheels of parmesan, the fish van that sporadically appears with it's selection of 5 fish, my butcher with the obese dog parked in the doorway and his selection of 5 differant dead animals, the bakers who doesn't believe in the existance of spelt flour or, if i'm wlling to drive 45 mins, there's a deli/butchers in the entrance to Tesco that charges so much i almost died of heart failure the one time i picked up some meat and bread there and had to go without half my groceries for the week.

PinkTulips Sat 22-Aug-09 18:04:30

depravity
*poncey
willing

<<<slaps self>>> spell check woman, spell check!

janeite Sat 22-Aug-09 18:06:29

It could be so much worse - you could have Iceland.

SomeGuy Sat 22-Aug-09 18:08:36

or Asda

ClaireDeLoon Sat 22-Aug-09 18:09:41

We have iceland and no poncey deli, yesterday I had to drive 25 mins to Hitchin to go to the poncey deli there for stuff for a picnic today.

TheCrackFox Sat 22-Aug-09 18:09:42

But sadly, not Woolworths. <sniff>

LovelyTinOfSpam Sat 22-Aug-09 18:12:07

I would buy live lobster grin

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sat 22-Aug-09 18:12:53

wouldn't mind a poncey deli. We live by Iceland. But live lobster are a bit yuck. I hate the whole boiling slowly to death thing.

Tidey Sat 22-Aug-09 18:14:05

Bit off topic, but our old Woolies has turned into some crappy bargain shop and it makes me even sadder now than it did with the building standing empty [snuffle]

I wish it had turned into a poncy deli instead, although it's a pretty massive shop building and I don't think people could cope with that much parma ham in one place.

madameDefarge Sat 22-Aug-09 18:15:14

I think you can safely get them to bash them on the head (or technically, stick a knife in their necks) before taking them home...

but it does mean you miss out on the escaped live lobster joy...

ApplesinmyPocket Sat 22-Aug-09 18:15:49

Are you sure it's for sale? Could it be a decorative lobster? You know, like an aquarium in a restaurant? (Clues: does the lobster have a lobster-sized castle in its tank? a mermaid perhaps?)

A lobster would be quite interesting to watch while you wait for your parmesan to be shaved so I reckon it's just there to entertain the customers. See if it's the same lobster every week. Or point at it and say '... and a nice lobster leg, please' and see if the shop-owner faints.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now