Talk

Advanced search

to take ds to a&e?

(14 Posts)
PrammyMammy Fri 21-Aug-09 19:37:30

Quick bit of advice needed.

Was at a my grans funeral today, and have been at my parents ever since. DS 21months was playing with his cousin out in the garden while we sat on the patio.
He toppled off the chute, and bumped his head, there was/is lots of blood but i can't even see a cut, it looks like the blood is coming from a pin prick. There is no bump yet, and he has a cold pack on it. Chute is the yellow and green little tykes one, small and chunky one, and he landed on concrete.
He cried for a minute and then wanted to play again, he seems not bothered by it at the moment. But what do i do about bed time? Can i let him go to sleep? Should i take him to a&e or am i being dramatic because of the blood? It happened about 40 minutes ago, and it is his bed time now.

PleaseMrsButler Fri 21-Aug-09 19:38:59

I had a similarish incident with a 6yo. I took them to walk in and was told it is the right thing to do - just to get checked.

teenytinypontipine Fri 21-Aug-09 19:39:23

Phone nhs 24 hrs see what they advise, or phone the local hospital

hairymelons Fri 21-Aug-09 19:39:35

Try NHS direct 0845 46 47

cocolepew Fri 21-Aug-09 19:40:09

I would take him if there was a lot of blood. A bump is actually a good sign.

Sorry about your Gran.

Runoutofideas Fri 21-Aug-09 19:40:18

I would call the doctors' surgery to get the out of hours number then call them, explain what happened and see what they would suggest.... Poor little boy. I hope he's OK.

kittymax Fri 21-Aug-09 19:42:56

Definately ring nhs direct or go to walk in. You won't be able to rest until you know he's been checked out. It will play on your mind all night. And mums need a good nights sleep.

chimchar Fri 21-Aug-09 19:43:37

personally, if your ds is his usual self, then i wouldn't bother taking him.

its ok to let him sleep because its his bedtime. check on him, and just be sure you can "bother" him..give him a poke every 20 mins or whatever..as long as he responds in some way then its fine...advice is not to let them go to sleep if they are drowsy because of concussion or injury iykwim.

i'm no medical expert though...do what you feel is right. hope he's ok!

southeastastra Fri 21-Aug-09 19:44:58

i'd keep him up a little longer then let him sleep a bit later on, keep cold pack on it for a while.

PrammyMammy Fri 21-Aug-09 19:47:18

Thanks!
I will give the nhs a call, does anyone know the number for the nhs24 for Scotland? I can only find swine flu info when i google it.
It was bleeding lots, like running, and is still weeping enough to keep his hair wet. He just keeps saying no and shaking away from me when i try look at it.

PrammyMammy Fri 21-Aug-09 19:48:38

got the number thank you.

cocolepew Fri 21-Aug-09 19:50:54

It's been bleeding for a while, it might need glued. Keep us informed smile

PrammyMammy Fri 21-Aug-09 20:06:16

Back,

They said there is no need to bring him in, i have to put him to bed as normal and have a check on the cut when he is sleeping to make sure it is drying up when he isn't aware of it and poking at it. It should clear up on it's own.
Phew glad i called now!

Runoutofideas Fri 21-Aug-09 20:35:40

Hope you all get a good night's sleep and that he's better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now