Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think that 8.30/8.45 am is too early for children to be ringing our doorbell persistently, asking when our two will be out to play?!

(14 Posts)
onthepier Fri 21-Aug-09 10:12:53

There are a couple of children in our street who ours have been playing out with almost every day in the holidays. We're normally all up by 7.30 ish, but after taking my two to a show last night and getting back late, my two slept in. I got up around 8 ish and was enjoying the chance to get on with things before they woke up.

Suddenly our doorbell started ringing like mad, alternating with persistent knocking which woke my two up! I said they were a bit early, the children were having a lie-in and would be out in an hour. They said OK, but 10 mins later they're back, banging
again! My eldest is now out playing with them as she wanted to, my youngest, (aged 6), seems to be enjoying the peace and quiet inside!

Their mum and I are different as in I enjoy the holidays with my two, and on days we've got nothing planned I like to keep the day free for us, whereas she likes hers to be out from under her feet, so she's very happy for them to be up and down the street looking for people to play with. It's nice that mine have got friends to play out with, but it tends to take over the whole day when hers start knocking on my door for snacks, can they come in, play with this and that etc, it's driving me mad at the moment and they won't take no for an answer!

pjmama Fri 21-Aug-09 10:24:03

If it's all the time and they won't take no for an answer, I'd frogmarch them back to their Mum and ask her to keep them out from under your feet. Or send your kids around to hers and see how she likes it.

It's great for kids to have others the same age to play with as long as everyone takes turns to have them in their houses and feed them. If it's always one sided I'd be having polite words.

OtterInaSkoda Fri 21-Aug-09 10:45:14

YANBU. On our street at weekends nobody is allowed to call for anyone else until midday! Not really broached what happens in the hols because ds has been away with us or at holiday club but I'd say 10 is reasonable. Often of course they are out way before 12 but what generally happens is that one of them whizzes around on their bike and the others spot them.

ErikaMaye Fri 21-Aug-09 10:51:32

There's an unwritten rule stating 10am around here...

jeminthepantry Fri 21-Aug-09 10:52:22

Yep 10 am rule here too ErikaMaye

flipflopper Fri 21-Aug-09 13:04:51

I have just got in from work- my kids are at granny's. I was on the phone and the doorbell rings so i ignore it- knew who it was. But they dont just ring once- its DING bloody DONG x10, knock knock, rattle letterbox etc, so i politely told them to bugger off.

Im a grumpy cow

NorbertDentressangle Fri 21-Aug-09 13:15:53

10am is the un-written rule here too.

stonethecrows Fri 21-Aug-09 14:24:40

Mine aren't old enough for this yet - but I'm thinking 8.30am is too early. YANBU

peanutbutterkid Fri 21-Aug-09 15:04:36

Just wait until their friends discover the phone, sigh. We have to frequently and gently lecture DD's best mate to not phone before 8am or after 7pm.
But I'm very glad that DD has such a keen best mate. Nobody has ever knocked on door asking if DC could comeout to play. I guess I would just ask the children to knock later and not let mine out until the appointed time, if it were a problem. 8:30am would be ok by me, probably a threshold of 8am I'd request.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 21-Aug-09 15:16:37

Oh yes, when they discover the phone...

DD's friend (both aged 9) has started ringing her some mornings. The trouble is friends parents work so friend is up early to be dropped at Granny's house which means we get phone calls to chat at around 8/8.30am.

That to me is too early in the holidays as I don't want to be thinking "OMG who's ringing this early. Whats happened?" when I'm still moping around in my dressing gown, the DC's are still in their PJs and nobody has had breakfast.

CommonNortherner Fri 21-Aug-09 15:54:32

Too early! I have a kid who wakes up at 6 raring to go but he's only allowed out into our garden at 9am and to call for others at 10am!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 21-Aug-09 15:56:04

10am is reasonable.

davidla Fri 21-Aug-09 17:16:24

Apparently when I was young I went round to our neighbours asking if their son could play with me.
It was 6.30am!
The mother still hasn't forgotten it! (And I'm not entirely sure if she has forgiven me either )
And yes, anything before 9 is too early.

Goblinchild Fri 21-Aug-09 17:29:17

I do remember when my DD was small and we lived in an area where all the children seemed to play in the street and the road, unaccompanied.
Got a knock and a ring from the two lads opposite asking if P could come out to play.
She was 4 1/2, they were in her class and it was 9pm. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now