Talk

Advanced search

to think that twat is a bad word?

(53 Posts)
Klaw Thu 20-Aug-09 23:26:25

I recently heard a grandmother call a wee boy a twat. I thought it was more than just slang, but wonder now as someone else thinks it's harmless slang.

Am I being over-sensitive? Even if I am, I am still pretty shock that a woman should call her 3yr old grandson that.

bigpantywoman Thu 20-Aug-09 23:28:31

It means vagina. So yes it's not a great word for a grandma to use in reference to her dear grandchild. But otherwise it's a great word, I love it. Very useful in a variety of circumstances.

LightningBolt Thu 20-Aug-09 23:28:46

I think David Camerons spin doctors would now agree

Klaw Thu 20-Aug-09 23:32:31

Yes, I know what it means and that's why I always thought it was on parr with the C word, so today when someone told me they had no problem with it and thought it was harmless slang I thought maybe I was being too precious...

Incidently, I've been to Twatt wink

TalkIsCheap Thu 20-Aug-09 23:32:57

twat in my area is synonymous with twit

I had to leave home and go to the Big City and embarrass myself in new job before I realised what it actually means blush

GrimmaTheNome Thu 20-Aug-09 23:33:39

I think its often used simply as a variant of twit, by those in innocent ignorance of its real meaning.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 20-Aug-09 23:37:58

Its a bit like Americans and their blithe use of 'fanny'.

Or when I was quite young and read James Herriot, I encountered 'bugger' for the first time, in the context of Yorkshire farmer calling one of his cows 'tha daft owd bugger' - from the context it was obviously a fairly affectionate term for 'obstreperous animal'. I had no idea why my brother looked shocked and told me I couldn't use that word!

paisleyleaf Thu 20-Aug-09 23:39:25

I can't say it and think of it like the c word.

Carrotfly Thu 20-Aug-09 23:40:14

Well of course it is .....

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 20-Aug-09 23:44:32

When I was 13 [misty eye syndrome] in 1975, I was told that a twat was a pregnant goldfish.

[naive emoticon]

He came from a military family, is there a connection?

GrimmaTheNome Thu 20-Aug-09 23:48:48

Oh yeah, I remember the goldfish thing, no military connection. (as you are a year younger than me I'm puzzled by your nickname Old....)

Anyhow, this story corroborates the common meaning of twat as synonymous with twit or twerp.

GentleOtter Thu 20-Aug-09 23:49:28

I'm sort of sure that it is not such an offensive word in Scotland especially as some people have it as a surname.
Here it means someone who has been a bit silly.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 20-Aug-09 23:55:58

Methinks it can also be what an upperclass bloke says when he begins to say someone is a twit but then realises he simply can't say twit because that might sound like the pot calling the kettle black and so it emerges as twat.

ravenAK Thu 20-Aug-09 23:56:38

It's quite rude I think.

In a 'twat' is to 'cunt', as 'nob' or 'cock' is to 'prick' sort of way - definitely refers to genitalia & definitely derogatory if you call someone it, but not the 'worst' available word.

So not necessarily fightin' talk & could be affectionately meant - 'you twat' would usually mean 'you silly person who has done something a bit daft' IME whereas 'you cunt' would mean 'you horrible person who has seriously upset or inconvenienced someone else'.

It's not a word my mum would use to refer to ds - although I can think of occasions when frankly I'd not blame her...grin

GentleOtter Thu 20-Aug-09 23:57:49

Oh, Orkney and Shetland each have a village called Twatt. <useless information>

nappyaddict Fri 21-Aug-09 00:01:45

Twat here means idiot

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 21-Aug-09 00:34:20

Ah, Grimma, when I first joined I was expecting to be, well, what my name says. grin I'm pleased (after a while here) to find I'm not, but I kind of like the OLKN shortening (dunno why) so I'll stick with it.

Anyway, I'm a granny now.

[chuffed emoticon]

2rebecca Fri 21-Aug-09 01:17:19

I always thought twat and twit were fairly inoffensive and interchangable. Have never really heard it used as slang for female genitalia. The c word is used more often and is more offensive if being offensive is what you're after.

screamingabdab Fri 21-Aug-09 08:57:27

Great word, but I wouldn't use in front of (or directed to) a child

PuppyMonkey Fri 21-Aug-09 09:05:21

There was a similar thread after Cameron's twatiness the other week. In some regions twat it no more offensive than twit. I grew up in Notts and used it all the time in front of my mum and everything. shock

It was only when I went to college in Leeds that I started realising some people were a bit hmm of my constant use of this word. they musta thought I was a right gobby mare. grin

Don't think it was "ignorance of its real meaning" whoever said that. It was just used in a different way where I lived.

dailymailIsPerfectAsaPoopScoop Fri 21-Aug-09 09:06:06

I use twat all the time.

paisleyleaf Fri 21-Aug-09 09:25:20

When I was about 10, I had a friend round to play. She called my little brother a twat. I'd not heard the word before, and she'd used it like "twit". My mum was quick to tell us it's a horrible word to use.
I think sometimes it might be hearing it from a young age, and misunderstanding it's meaning.

NotEvenTheTrees Fri 21-Aug-09 09:29:11

It's very offensive where I come from.

gagamama Fri 21-Aug-09 09:31:25

I thought it was simply a slightly more brash version of 'twit' until I was about 20. (Although I am now giggling to myself imagining a Roald Dahl book called 'The Twats').

I like it and use it quite frequently, but words like 'twatted' and 'twatfaced' make me cringe. They just seem obviously crude and genital-related.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Fri 21-Aug-09 09:33:59

I'm also in scotland and it is interchanged with twit here rarely ever heard it used as a slang word for female genitalia, in fact only where it was a better fit in rugby songs at school.
I am wary of using it around the children because I am aware of the meaning to some but it is not anywhere near as dodgy as the C word around here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: